Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Talk me out of upgrading to a KX?

I currently have a K10D, and love it. Does everything I want... Except video.

I have a budget kit. The only auto lens I own is the kit. I love my old glass, and like manual shooting.

Lately I have seen quite a few videos shot with DSLRs, and am liking what I see. I cannot begin to afford the K7, or higher priced competitors. But here is the KX with 720p, 24fps. Since I already own K mount glass, it makes sense to stay with Pentax.

I have read some reviews on the KX, and possible noise. I have looked at some sample videos people have posted, and I do see some with noise, but many with just great video.

I have some concern with external audio input.

I would love to use this for both fun and for work (where we produce quite a few videos).

How do you guys with video capable DSLRs handle external audio?
Had any issues with the KX? I know it's not a K7, but...

Oh, and how does the still image capture compare with the K10D?

Slinky

07-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With regards to photo quality & camera features, you should go read this "K10 to K-x" thread here :D I can't tell you much about video except that all the video I've shot with my K-x looks great, very clean. Impressively decent even in crappy dim/mixed light, a nice even grain just like the high ISO stills.

As far as photos though, K10 ---> K-x was a huge jump forward. You won't regret it
07-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I upgraded to the K20 when the K7 was announced, and it cost me $650. I just did a search and saw that the KX body only was at $470. The K7 body only, is currently going for $755 and I can see it dropping $100 over the next 2 months going into a new model announcement. A difference of about $180 and a possible new announcement in September. Is it possible to bag your lunch for the next 2 months and maybe go for the K7? Then there is the possibility for a gently used K7 for even less from someone upgrading. I only say K7, since your use to a more full featured body with your current K10...
07-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want talking out of it (albeit temporarily), I suggest that you wait for Photokina to see if there are any other developments.

You might find the controls of the K-x a little basic, and if Pentax bring out something to top the K-7, there should be a fair few lightly used K-7s available on the used market.

07-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Or keep the K10D and buy a K-x. They have different strengths and capabilities and are quite complementary.
07-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Or keep the K10D and buy a K-x. They have different strengths and capabilities and are quite complementary.
Seconded... K10d for Low ISO, K-x for high ISO
07-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmmm... if Pentax were to come out with a new "K7-ish" body... that would be enticing. I'd love a used K7. But just can't swing it right now. Let me think about this for a couple months. =) There's no option for me to keep both... need to sell the K10 to help fund the Kx or k7. Lack of external audio input on the Kx is a issue for me. Maybe not a deal breaker, but an issue.

Last edited by mediaslinky; 07-05-2010 at 02:06 PM.
07-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Buy it. You know you want one.

Hope this helps
07-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #9

I bought my wife a K-X for Christmas, I noticed she was really getting into photo composition etc. with her p&s camera's and we also needed something to shoot decent 720p video for our new 50" plasma so it was a perfect fit. I use it from time to time and find I really prefer the feel of my K10D (with battery pack), especially the shutter and aperture controls front & back.

Having said that though, one thing I am VERY envious of is the K-X's superior rapid fire, especially when we are taking action shots side by side and her fps rate is easily doubling mine. It also sounds way smoother. I'm not sure why the K10 is so slow in comparison, I think it's partially because it's adjusting the focus way more between frames (or just taking longer to do it) but there really is no comparison in speed. We both use (basicially) the same 18-250 lense (mine is Pentax, hers is Sigma) and I've tried switching them, the K-X still outshines for rapid fire.

I love my K10 though, and the battery with battery pack is far superior to the AA's, but I waited on the sidelines for ages for Pentax to come out with a DSLR that came close to Canon for fps rates, and the K10D was close enough. We just bought our daughter a new bike and I wanted pictures of the maiden ride down the driveway so I grabbed her camera and easily got 20 or so frames in whereas my K10 would have been lucky to get 1/2 of that.

I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have waited a bit longer..
07-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'd stick with the K10D. At 24fps and no sound input, I find it hard to take the K-x video feature all that seriously. Furthermore, if you shoot a lot with older, manual focus glass, the fact that the K-x provides no focus indicator lights might be yet another point to take under consideration.
07-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Since you have already used the k10D, I don't think you will be excited about the K-x since just about everything else besides high iso, you are going backward. I am happy with all the new advanced features that comes with the K-7, and pretty good high iso performance (although arguably not as good as k-x as others may think). K-7 (or its future replacement model) is a better upgrade path imho.
07-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
Forum Member

maybe wait for the new bodies to be announced? kx is great for high iso. very useful for 300mm shots
07-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photokina is coming. Unless you need the Kx urgently....
07-07-2010, 04:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Furthermore, if you shoot a lot with older, manual focus glass, the fact that the K-x provides no focus indicator lights might be yet another point to take under consideration.
This doesn't make any sense. With MF glass only the center AF point can be used, so there's really no need for the red AF point illumination - you already know that you're using the center point because that's the only one you can use. And, of course, the green focus indicator hexagon (and the beep if you have it enabled) is there.
07-07-2010, 04:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I'd stick with the K10D. At 24fps and no sound input, I find it hard to take the K-x video feature all that seriously. Furthermore, if you shoot a lot with older, manual focus glass, the fact that the K-x provides no focus indicator lights might be yet another point to take under consideration.
The higher quality viewfinder on the K10d, with a variety of third-party screens, is the main reason to stick with it for manual focus lenses. My mf lenses stay on the K10d, and never see my K-x.

If you are using the AF confirmation to focus on the k-x, you are missing one of the main advantages to mf, which is precisely locating the focus point. With or without the red dot, locating the exact point of autofocus can be a challenge, but without the red light it is just a little bit more challenging.