Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
another "Upgrading to K7 From K10" post

So I've been shooting with a K10 for 3 1/2 years now. And I really want a second body, so I'm saving up for a K7. I'm just about ready to buy it but have two concerns. I keep reading about people not happy with the high ISO shots with the K7. Is it better or worse at high ISO's than the K10? Also, I am concerned with the different buttons on the back. How much is it going to take to get used to the new buttons as compared to the K10? I am going to start doing weddings. (Next year I have my first scheduled) and if I have both my K7 and my K10 around my neck to use for weddings, will I get confused going from one to the other with changing settings if the buttons are at different spots?

I'm excited to try the K7, but I still LOVE my K10 and I am one of those who hates change...why change a good thing? and I'm just concerned I will have a hard time getting used to the K7. That and the noise issue I read about concerns me.

07-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got mine last week before the price increase. The noise issue is over rated and you will adjust easily to the different button placement.
07-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Price increase!? Shoot!! Didnt' realize it was increasing!
07-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Inactive Account

K-7 14.6MP SLR Digital Camera Black (Body Only) at Central Digital

Consider that the K10d only goes to 1600 ISO. The K7 is clean enough for most purposes at that point. Beyond there may be more dependent on your actual scene. In other words, if you're shooting black on black in a dark room, you're going to see some noise.

If I had worried about the cr@ppy ISO performance reports, I would still be on the outside looking in. Mind you I bought mine when everyone was first raving about the Kx. It's a decision I've regretted not one single time.

There will only be two things you need to get use to. The slightly smaller size, and the light years advanced over the K10d options and performance.

07-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Consider that the K10d only goes to 1600 ISO. The K7 is clean enough for most purposes at that point. Beyond there may be more dependent on your actual scene. In other words, if you're shooting black on black in a dark room, you're going to see some noise.

If I had worried about the cr@ppy ISO performance reports, I would still be on the outside looking in. Mind you I bought mine when everyone was first raving about the Kx. It's a decision I've regretted not one single time.

There will only be two things you need to get use to. The slightly smaller size, and the light years advanced over the K10d options and performance.

I'll agree with Jeff, and add that the K-7 is at a whole new level of refinement in operation and interface (I find the Info screen a great addition). Use the K-7 for one day, and you'll be surprised at how primitive the K10 feels and sounds in comparison.

With some amazing new NR software available, high ISO is considerably less of an issue with me.

Here's a shot of a cygnet I took at before 6:00 AM -- before sunrise at ISO 3200. It's been heavily processed (@ 25% strength, which is very high, IMO) with Topaz Denoise, then lightly sharpened with Focus magic. It was actually a bit underexposed, so the noise worse than it could have been if I'd really done my part. . .

This was shot in jpeg, BTW. I won't normally shoot at this high a sensitivity, but it's good to know that I can go there in a pinch, and still get something that I can print to a decent size.

The K-7 is by no means a super clean high ISO shooter, but the noise issue -- even shooting jpgs has been way overblown, IMO.

Scott
07-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
Is it better or worse at high ISO's than the K10?
Better no doubt.
I went from K10D to K20D and it was nice just being able to leave it on auto-ISO up to ISO800 (I only liked the 10D up to ISO400)...

Ideally your spare body should be the same, but you'll probably be fine w/ the K10D as a backup to the K7...
07-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're worried about noise, take into account the K-7 RAW images are considered pretty much on par with the other top current APS-C cameras in the world, D300S and 7D.

I'm another who went from K10D to K-7. I don't agree with the 'light years ahead' conclusion, but in many ways the K-7 is a revolutionary camera, and a significant upgrade.

07-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

I too went from K10D to K-7. I now have a K20D as my second body as the K10D finally died. I pretty much like everything about the K-7 better, and I REALLY loved my K10D. The K-7 is much more responsive to my shooting than the others and I shoot a lot of action-type of stuff (meaning not people and things just standing still). It's not hard gettting used to it at all. I'm sure you'll do fine with that. It's a great camera.
07-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was in the same boat, got my K-7 before $100 rebate expired.... now the price is back to normal with no rebate.

I too liked my K10D very much... but the K-7 is now at a different level and better. If you have both, two things that you will need to remember, when you change focus point on the K-7, you have to press OK first. When you change mode dial, you have to push the center button and turn. That is pretty much it.... of course, the ISO buttom and EV button on top are also new and convenient.

I don't shoot beyond iso 1600 often, but having that extra room beyond iso 1600 is good. There are so many improvements that it is indeed a very worth while upgrade.
07-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
two things that you will need to remember, when you change focus point on the K-7, you have to press OK first.
The updated firmware eliminates that problem. You can change settings so the 4-way buttons change the focus point first, and get to the wb/drive mode/etc. selections after pressing OK.
07-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #11

so is this Central Digital reliable?

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

07-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
Inactive Account

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=pentax+k7%27&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ci...d=0CEUQ8wIwAg#

They're at the bottom of this page, showing a near 5 star rating.

Seller reviews

You tell me.

Last edited by JeffJS; 07-05-2010 at 07:11 PM.