Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Pentax WB is even weirder than that. Apparantly (at least according to the author of UFRaw), Pentax WB presets (sunny, cloudy etc.) are not set values like in Nikon and Canon, but recommendations to the AWB.

UFRaw - Contribute

For example all of my NEF (Nikon RAW) files taken with a cloudy WB have the same value, and yet my PEF files with the same WB setting will have variable values, they are all approximately the same, but not a set value, varying with changes in the light source. I actually like this approach better as you get an approximate WB with fine tuning, but with Nikon you get one WB applied to every situation. I do far less WB tinkering with Pentax then with Nikon.

I am not, nor have I ever been a measurebator, I am just trying to understand how WB works in PEF's so I can take better pictures, similar to the way you get to know a camera's metering.

08-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
Pentax WB is even weirder than that. Apparantly (at least according to the author of UFRaw), Pentax WB presets (sunny, cloudy etc.) are not set values like in Nikon and Canon, but recommendations to the AWB.

UFRaw - Contribute

For example all of my NEF (Nikon RAW) files taken with a cloudy WB have the same value, and yet my PEF files with the same WB setting will have variable values, they are all approximately the same, but not a set value, varying with changes in the light source. I actually like this approach better as you get an approximate WB with fine tuning, but with Nikon you get one WB applied to every situation. I do far less WB tinkering with Pentax then with Nikon.

I am not, nor have I ever been a measurebator, I am just trying to understand how WB works in PEF's so I can take better pictures, similar to the way you get to know a camera's metering.
Just took a quick peek at 2 different "daylight" shot presets
1)r=1.42578125 b=1.00390625
2)r=1.42578125 b=1.0078125
This is from RawMagik Light EXIF report for 2 "D" raws...this is all starting to hurt my head
08-17-2007, 10:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know, it all suddenly becomes complicated.....In truth I think I wish i had never done my little experiment.

As I said in my above post i think I actually like this method of dealing with presets. With Nikon I was never quite happy with them as sometimes "Daylight" would look different (high elevation vs sea level for example) and the WB would be off as a consequence. I believe the Pentax method attempts to compensate for this. In practice the differences are quite small, but they do give a more pleasing WB and less fiddling in PP.