Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Trading down from K10D to K100D?

It's pretty much clear that a lot of people would trade up from a K100D to a K10D, but how many of us would rather trade down from a K10D to the K100D?

Yes, some of you have a K10D as a main body, and a K100D as a back-up.

What I wanna know is given only the choice of one cam, K10D or K100D, how many of you would rather pick the K100D and why?

Just wanna get a pulse of the people here.

08-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #2

I dont' have the K100D but I do have an original *iSTD. If I had to give one up it would probably be the *iSTD since it lacks the weather sealing and the image stabilization of the K10. Now in favor of the *iSTD is it's ability to use either AA or Lithium Ion batteries while I have to use the rechargables in the K10. I like the idea of being able to get fresh batteries anywhere so when I travel and know I may not have the time to charge the batteries I'll take the *iSTD with me. I also like the Compact Flash cards over the SD cards, since they are much easier for me to handle, I tend to drop small things due to being a little clumsy. The K10 for me has become my camera of choice and goes with me pretty much everywhere now, while my *iSTD sits on the shelf.
08-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a quick reply about the rechargable batteries in the K10D..

First off.. Someone, whom I will not name, really did Pentax a disservice when they reviewed the K10D and stated that the battery life was below average for cameras of that type.. FIRST OFF, I'm not aware of any cameras that offer in-camera SR like the Pentax does, nor am I aware of any cameras that come close in features the K10d has as well as the price.

Enough rant.. The batteries on the K10D last for an amazing amount of photos.. I have honestly shot 1200 photos or more with one charge. I bought the 2nd and 3rd spare batteries after reading that review but, before my camera arrived and of course, having TWO spares is really not needed at all. One is nice but two is overkill. So, I could have saved myself $55 had the reviewer been a bit more, uh, correct in his statements. Anyway, I attempted to 'duplicate' what the reviewer stated as being the test parameters and lo and behold, I still get far more photos than he did.. Using 50% flash, essentially taking 100 photos no flash, then taking 100 photos with flash, and back again, etc.. I'm able to take a total of nearly 800 photos.. A far cry from the 480 'he' stated.. Of course, he could have had a bad battery or it wasn't charged or who knows?

The moral of the story is, the K10D batteries seem like they could be a pain but, they save you money and they last a hell of a long time too. Don't let the fact that you can use AA's in a camera lead you, these batteries make you forget you even need batteries they die so infrequently! I swear to that!!
08-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Trade down from the K10D to the K100D? Not likely. I prefer the K10D the way it handles and the way it feels. I also has an *ist Ds as a second body, so would only go to the K100D (and even then the Super Model) if the Ds packed up. But I can see why people would go back, if they were uncomfortable with the size of the K10D, but for me? I'll keep the K10D.

As for battery life on the K10D, I have had no problem, even after nearly 400 shots on a shoot, and still plenty of life left.

08-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #5

Tom, I think I read the same article you did on the batteries for the K10, therefore I have the battery grip and use the grip battery first then the body battery. While on vacation I shot for a week without recharging. I'm convinced that the batteries last a very long time, though when I used my *iSTD with lithium batteries I was able to get up to 2000 shots before I had to change the batteries. I like them both but the K10 certainly wins out.

Shawn
08-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If anyone here would want to trade down from a K10D to a K100D, I'd be more than happy to trade hehehe...
08-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #7

I'm not getting rid of my K10D, and I will not accept any offer of a K100D in exchange

There is nothing wrong with the K100D.... but I've got the K10D and couldn't be happier. I would choose the K100D only if weight was a factor. I don't mind AA batteries, and I was initially sceptical about the K10's proprietary rechargables, but like the others have mentioned, they're going fine.
08-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
I would choose the K100D only if weight was a factor ...
I recently went to a friend's young son's baptism, then the little refreshment party afterwards. A few relatives took out their D200s and 6-inch diameter lenses to photograph .... the cakes, whereupon I thought to myself naaah that's not for me, looks too much like showing off.

Hence when I made my Pentax choice I deliberately went for the smaller body K100D. I'd have chosen the K10D if it were same smal size; heavier more expensive ok, but physically smaller.

08-16-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think anybody would willingly do that. Unless you realise you are tired of K10D's weight and bulk. And/or you desire ISO 3200.