Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K10D Camera Armor worth buying??

I'm shooting baseball and take frequent baseball strikes each day, i can't afford to buy multiple rigs so is camera armor a good investment? Will it really take the edge off a direct hit or not?

07-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10d is a pretty solid machine but extra protection couldn't hurt. Still though, I don't think anything can REALLY protect a piece of electronics from a direct hit by a 75mph or so baseball. Solder joints loosen and crack, viewfinder may shift, AF may go out of adjustment, just to name a few. Unless the Armor provides a cushion of sorts, I do tend to question HOW MUCH it will help.

07-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Best I can see it doing (mind you without ever having actually using it) is protecting it from knicks and dings.
07-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks man! I'm thinking it can't hurt but I know I've heard at least one guy complain that it interferes with buttons and stuff. I think it's worth $20 bucks to lighten a potential camera killing blow. Thats great to know that the k10d is rugged!

07-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I've never tried the armor so I can't speak from experience (about the buttons). The most protection I've given any of my cameras is the peel and stick LCD protector film. That's so I can wipe my face print off of the back one without worrying about scratching it (the screen, not my face ). Then again, I've never been in the line of fire for a line drive either. For $20, you aren't out much if you decide it's not what you need.

07-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the camera armor and had it on my K10D for over a year, until two weeks ago. I removed when I had my K10D sent to the shop for IR conversion.

All of the buttons are accessible none are blocked or hidden. The skin sometimes shifts a bit requiring an adjustment of the skin to allow the buttons to be reached.

The skin will definitely provide protection against MINOR bumps and bruises. It won't protect the camera against a line drive but will protect it if you bang the camera on the rail in front of the photog well.

If you have small hands, like me, it adds just enough thickness to make the camera harder to hold.
07-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I have the camera armor and had it on my K10D for over a year, until two weeks ago. I removed when I had my K10D sent to the shop for IR conversion.

All of the buttons are accessible none are blocked or hidden. The skin sometimes shifts a bit requiring an adjustment of the skin to allow the buttons to be reached.

The skin will definitely provide protection against MINOR bumps and bruises. It won't protect the camera against a line drive but will protect it if you bang the camera on the rail in front of the photog well.

If you have small hands, like me, it adds just enough thickness to make the camera harder to hold.

Thanks for the input.

Neverbnnba can try one at the store and see if the buttons are OK with you as well as the fit and felling in your hands.

07-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Eds

I recently bought the Camera Armor online for my K-10. As others have stated if will help against minor bumps and bruises. That's all. It definately changes the ergonimics as the camera gets a bit fatter to hold, which I don't like. Also, it does cover up some of the control labeling and such on the K-10 body, which I find annoying. Eds
07-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
If you want to get rid of it I'll buy it from you, i don't like the small size of the battery grip because I have really big hands and it always feels like the camera is falling out of my hand. The added size is fine and the added protection will be great, I can't afford to lose this rig to a baseball.
07-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #10

Original Poster
i wish!! I live in kentucky NO PENTAX DEALERS, it's brutal, I get treated like a misfit for using pentax, which is fine, i'm a pentax loyalist, Murphy's camera can suck it.