Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #1

Corrupted jpgs from K100d

About 10% of the jpg shots I take come out corrupted. The lower part of the frame is shifted. I haven't seen anything like that in RAW and I'm not sure if it is a card or camera issue. Has anyone seen anything like that?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
07-07-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never seen something like that before- does it happen with more than one type of card?
07-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That is very odd!
I have never seen anything like it.
Does it look that same on the LCD screen when you preview the photo or just when you download it on the computer?
07-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
They look good on LCD but corrupted on the computer. I tried different viewers (built in Windows Vista viewer, Picasa, Microsoft Photomanager) with the same result. All of the corrupted images came from the same Eye-Fi SD card.

07-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Morro Quote
They look good on LCD but corrupted on the computer. I tried different viewers (built in Windows Vista viewer, Picasa, Microsoft Photomanager) with the same result. All of the corrupted images came from the same Eye-Fi SD card.
Well that would explain it. Something must be wrong in the transmission of the images! I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the actual photos on the card, and if you used a conventional card, you wouldn't see anything like it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
I can copy the pictures via card reader and they are still corrupted. I suspect Eye-Fi may be too power hungry and that may cause corruption.. or probably something else.
07-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would assume it's almost certainly the card. Of the numerous file corruption issues I've heard of, 100% have been the card's fault. I guess it's possible it's a camera writing issue, but try re-formatting, or a new card. I used to use cheap cards and throw them out at the first issue. Now I'm using top-end sandisk, no problems yet.

07-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Morro Quote
I can copy the pictures via card reader and they are still corrupted. I suspect Eye-Fi may be too power hungry and that may cause corruption.. or probably something else.
Are the images still OK now when viewing via the camera's LCD?

If so have you tried uploading with the card in the camera using the USB cable -
and see if that might give uncorrupted images?

If all those fail perhaps you could try with the card in a known good reader and run something like MjM Free Photo Recovery - if the images are JPG (or perhaps try PhotoRec or Piriform's Recuva) and see if you can get back uncorrupted images?
07-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure it would help with pictures already taken, but be sure to downlaod the fairly recent (a month or to ago) firmware, that supposedly deals with a card issue affecting Eye-Fi cards.
07-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Not sure it would help with pictures already taken, but be sure to downlaod the fairly recent (a month or to ago) firmware, that supposedly deals with a card issue affecting Eye-Fi cards.
Since I still have my K100D I'd be very interested

But I just went to both the USA and Japan sites and downloaded the K100D firmware
(I refreshed the pages to make sure I wasn't looking at any cached pages)
and both the downloaded .exe files were identical to the one I downloaded in April/2007 over 3 years ago -
I used ExactFile to verify the checksums - have I missed something?

Last edited by UnknownVT; 07-08-2010 at 08:18 AM.