Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
is there a Sony Alpha lens to Pentax body adapter?

Hi guys..i was wondering if there is such kind of an adapter to fit a Sony Alpha lens (A-mount) to a Pentax K mount body exist out there?I have two minolta primes that i would like to use..especially for video recording on the K7...Any link to it would be awesome..

07-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It is generally not possible to use lenses between standard 35mm mounts. This is because registration distance is the same, but the manufacturers obviously use different mounts - since the lenses mount at the same distance with different mounts, the only way this would be possible would be if one manufacturer's mount was wide enough to accept both the lens and an adapter; it may be possible if the lens is physically altered, but that would be much more work that it is worth!

That is a great benefit to micro 4/3, being able to mount pretty much anything, but we are talking Pentax cameras here!
07-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
It is generally not possible to use lenses between standard 35mm mounts. This is because registration distance is the same, but the manufacturers obviously use different mounts - since the lenses mount at the same distance with different mounts, the only way this would be possible would be if one manufacturer's mount was wide enough to accept both the lens and an adapter; it may be possible if the lens is physically altered, but that would be much more work that it is worth!

That is a great benefit to micro 4/3, being able to mount pretty much anything, but we are talking Pentax cameras here!
Thanks for the info. I was wondering also the same thing.
07-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flange focal distance for pentax is 45.5, while the flange for sony/minolta is of 44.5 so there's a small difference. But I don't think it's easy to fit an adapter there, it would need to be changed.

07-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter

As I recall, at least one or two people have swapped the mounts on Minolta F1.2 lenses (50 or 55? don't remember, I think they made both) and made them M42 lenses, which you can then easily mount with a normal M42 adapter. In fact, I think one such converted lens was on the Marketplace here not too long ago.

You may want to look around on info on those to get an idea of what would be involved in a mount swap, if you really want to use those lenses. Unless they are something very special, it's probably better to just get Pentax-mount equivalent lenses.
07-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I successfully swapped a minolta MD mount kiron 28mm F2 with a Flanged K mount adaptor, adjusted infinity focus and had a stopped down K mount 28mm F2.

the issue is that minolta has a shorter regester distance than pentax, and as a result, unless you can take several MM off the mount, or otherwise make an adjustment in infinity focus to compensate, you are stuck.
07-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I successfully swapped a minolta MD mount kiron 28mm F2 with a Flanged K mount adaptor, adjusted infinity focus and had a stopped down K mount 28mm F2.

the issue is that minolta has a shorter regester distance than pentax, and as a result, unless you can take several MM off the mount, or otherwise make an adjustment in infinity focus to compensate, you are stuck.
These are interesting DIY projects.

I keep thinking that I will send off for one of the Leitax mounts to convert some Zeiss lenses which are collecting dust. But then, it may make more economic sense just to have my wife's Contax RTS fixed.
08-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Just wanted to add: I'm using an old Pentax 85-210mm with my Alpha 500 with a 'Camplus ~ AF confirm adaptor' *Check Ebay* . Results are reasonable. It's worth pointing out that older long lenses are heavy in comparison to new ones. Not sure the Sony mount would fail but it doesn't feal beafy enough for the job without constant support of the hand.

Also been playing around with M42; extension tubes, tele-convertors & various lenses. Results vary but well worth the 10 or so for the adaptor if you have these old lenses.

Strangest setup so far....Sony A500 + 3x extension tube, Pentax 85-210 + Sony 1.7x Teleconvertor (made for the Sony DSC-H1). Set-up was about three miles long and blurred shots if you so much as breathed.....fun though ;-)

08-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote

That is pretty much what I found out.

I used to have Minolta Film cameras as well as Pentax and wanted to use the primes in my Pentax. I sold majority of Minolta Primes to fund the pentax primes.