Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Why the D-BG2 battery grip

Hey guys, I just purchased the K10D and am wondering who needs or why one needs the grip. Is there some special reason I should buy this or is it just for the pros?

Thanks,
Ray

08-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Ray,

I'm not a pro, but I bought the grip on recommendation of others on this forum. My local camera shop didn't have one to try out, so I just ordered the grip along with my K10D from Amazon. I wouldn't be out much money with the Pentax double-body rebate + grip rebate (for buying both at once) and could always sell the grip if I didn't like it.

I like it. It improves the camera's already good ergonomics. The portrait orientation grip and controls are handy. It's a great way to store a second battery, spare memory card and the IR remote. The camera, with grip and 40mm pancake lens mounted, fit in my small Domke bag with plenty of room to spare. If weight and/or bulk will be an issue (e.g., backpacking) I can always leave the grip at home.

I recommend the D-BG2. It's not just for pros.

Regards,
Daryl
08-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

These are the reasons you might use the grip:

Longer battery life without swapping batteries (Note: The K10D's battery life on a single battery is quite respectable anyway.)

Different balance with some lenses - Some like the feel of big cameras better.

Much easier control when taking pictures in portrait orientation - The battery grip also has a secondary shutter button and control dials.

I've been tempted by the battery grip but so far have prioritized other things such as lenses and flashes.
08-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I do about half my shooting with the grip and half without.

I don't find the k10d's ergonomics as good as the *ist DS2 that I had before. The grip makes up for that to a certain extent. Also, as Entropy mentioned, longer battery life, ease of use in verticle position, the added heft does well with some of the larger lenses and storage for a remote release & SD card have come in handy as well.

However, it does add a fair bit to the overall weight of the camera and if I'm just walking to/from work, I'll grab a small lens for the camera and leave the grip at home (which, ironically, I did tonight.....and the battery died )

08-14-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i often second shoot for a guy that shoots exclusively canon 1 series digital bodies. the built in grip is so nice for shooting people in portrait orientation, i might sometimes hold it for two hours straight...

almost every time i go to shoot portrait orientation on the k10d....i feel like my wrist is bending out of shape. its a nice luxury, its very helpful, doubles battery life, stores memory...

its worth it IMO
08-15-2007, 03:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought mine and I like it. I shoot a lot of wildlife and birds and the grip is great to balance the Sigma 50-500 is use and my lenses are only going to get bigger...the portrait function is great too....all in all the extra hundred bucks or so is well worth it.
08-15-2007, 05:04 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Home brewed Bock or Stout. I just can't drink the commercial stuff.

As an added bonus, you can store an extra memory card and remote control in the grip (nice touch). I bought one simply because once you use a camera with a grip, it will be high on the must get list. It makes the camera so much more comfortable to use on a daily basis. Mind you I have very big mittens.

The grip actually fits the K10D like a glove...far better then the one I have on my 20D.

What I do not like about it is the battery placement. In your menus, you can tell the camera which battery to use first, as you still keep the battery in the camera, and an extra goes into the grip. This will necessitate removing the grip to recharge your camera battery after a long while. The nice thing about having 2 batteries is this; you can shot for a long time without worrying about power management. It truly is a worthwhile piece of equipment to get for your camera.
08-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #8

I bought the grip when I bought the camera, I put it on the camera that day and it hasn't come off. Well, except to charge the battery.

I bought it for most of the reasons listed already but mainly so it adds a little bulk to the camera, otherwise I have one or two fingers hanging off the bottom which isn't comfortable.

08-15-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I didn't get the grip until about 4 months after I got the K10D and I honestly don't know how I did without it! I didn't take many shots in portrait orientation before, but now I am using that quite a bit. I think the ease of control in portrait makes a huge difference.

Oh, and it makes the camera look more hardcore too, lol,
08-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #10

I'm a big fan of the grip: for me it's a much more stable platform for shooting in portrait mode, I like the second battery for power management, and yeah... there's the hardcore aspect too

That said, I've rarely had a bigger feeling of relief then when I took the Camera+Grip off from around my neck after walking around with it on for most of a day. The K10D is heavy enough as it is! But then what kind of an idiot would do that? Oh, yeah. Me
08-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Gains me an extra couple of stops hand held in portrait and reduces RSI at the end of the night by holding the camera arm over.
08-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
I didn't take many shots in portrait orientation before, but now I am using that quite a bit. I think the ease of control in portrait makes a huge difference.

Same here I shoot much more in portrait mode now. Warning IT IS HEAVY. Now I am a 6'4" tall man with larger than normal hands so it looks and feels right for me. However it is a burden to carry on a naeck strap for more than a couple of hours. Its not like you cant carry it but you will definitely start to wonder why you brought it.

I am considering picking up a bandolier style strap to use instead of the optech for this purpose.
08-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I am not a big fan of neck straps. Hand straps all the way.