Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 56
K-x movie audio

Hi all,

Just playing around with my new K-x and quite happy with how some of my old manual lenses work with it. Unfortunately, I have discovered something odd; the audio on movies is very, very low and muffled. I can barely hear my own voice as recorded just 5 inches from the internal microphone. I know there have been discussions about background noise in K-x movies, but even in those that I've seen online with that complain you can still clearly hear the main source of the video. I had music playing on my computer no more than 1 foot in front of the camera while recording the movie and you can't even hear it. Anyone have this issue before?

Thanks in advance.

-Philip

07-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 85
Hi
first you should upload some video sample so we can see/hear what you're talking about.
Then the audio has only one channel depending on the playback you're using there might be the chance the sound is on the left channel and you turned the balance to the right.
To make sure it's not your pc at fault upload a sample.
07-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvandoren Quote
Hi
first you should upload some video sample so we can see/hear what you're talking about.
Then the audio has only one channel depending on the playback you're using there might be the chance the sound is on the left channel and you turned the balance to the right.
To make sure it's not your pc at fault upload a sample.
Okay, here's a short clip of me speaking with a much louder voice than I normally would about half a foot or so from the internal microphone (SR off). This seems quite low to me; what do you hear?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxDbSmX1RWs[/YT]
07-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: on the wall
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 715
It sounds too quiet and there is a lot of hiss noise.

07-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
It sounds too quiet and there is a lot of hiss noise.
That's certainly what I think... Is it a firmware issue? I just realized it came with 1.00. Any reason to believe that 1.01 would make it better?
07-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 85
Sounds like something is wrong with your camera.
If you are within the first 7 working days, depending on your country, just return it and ask for a new one.
07-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvandoren Quote
Sounds like something is wrong with your camera.
If you are within the first 7 working days, depending on your country, just return it and ask for a new one.
Yikes. That's not what I wanted to hear.
07-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 128
Hey Phil,

I know that you said that your SR was off, but the K-x has two different SR options. One is for stills and the other for video. You'll have to make sure the SR option is off for video and it should quiet down some of that background noise. If you do have the correct SR option off, then I would have to agree with David and try to exchange it if you can. The K-x is a great camera.

07-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kangeroo82 Quote
Hey Phil,

I know that you said that your SR was off, but the K-x has two different SR options. One is for stills and the other for video. You'll have to make sure the SR option is off for video and it should quiet down some of that background noise. If you do have the correct SR option off, then I would have to agree with David and try to exchange it if you can. The K-x is a great camera.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've had both the still and the video SR off and no change (the video posted above was shot with the video SR off). I've contacted the store that sold it to me. Hopefully, they will do the right thing when business opens tomorrow.
07-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 118
Yeah, that's definitely not right.
07-10-2010, 04:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,758
I've not had that issue - the in-built mic is quite OK. In fact too OK sometimes in sucking up ambient noise.

Check to see that no dust or crud has gotten into the mic hole. Your problem could be that simple.
07-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I've not had that issue - the in-built mic is quite OK. In fact too OK sometimes in sucking up ambient noise.

Check to see that no dust or crud has gotten into the mic hole. Your problem could be that simple.
Thanks. It's already in the post heading to the store that sent it. We'll see what they say once it's inspected. Hopefully I'll get it back working soon.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-x, movie, movies, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how are you doing external audio input? mediaslinky Video and Pentax HDSLRs 30 07-17-2010 10:22 PM
Macro Polk Audio Perrumpo Post Your Photos! 2 05-07-2010 07:54 AM
K-7 audio specs? nostatic Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 06-16-2009 03:52 AM
DA*300mm at Beach Audio Buddha Jones Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 05-05-2008 11:25 AM
Those who like tubed audio or HAM might like this BeerCan General Talk 3 04-23-2008 02:52 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top