Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-x movie audio

Hi all,

Just playing around with my new K-x and quite happy with how some of my old manual lenses work with it. Unfortunately, I have discovered something odd; the audio on movies is very, very low and muffled. I can barely hear my own voice as recorded just 5 inches from the internal microphone. I know there have been discussions about background noise in K-x movies, but even in those that I've seen online with that complain you can still clearly hear the main source of the video. I had music playing on my computer no more than 1 foot in front of the camera while recording the movie and you can't even hear it. Anyone have this issue before?

Thanks in advance.

-Philip

07-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Forum Member

Hi
first you should upload some video sample so we can see/hear what you're talking about.
Then the audio has only one channel depending on the playback you're using there might be the chance the sound is on the left channel and you turned the balance to the right.
To make sure it's not your pc at fault upload a sample.
07-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvandoren Quote
Hi
first you should upload some video sample so we can see/hear what you're talking about.
Then the audio has only one channel depending on the playback you're using there might be the chance the sound is on the left channel and you turned the balance to the right.
To make sure it's not your pc at fault upload a sample.
Okay, here's a short clip of me speaking with a much louder voice than I normally would about half a foot or so from the internal microphone (SR off). This seems quite low to me; what do you hear?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxDbSmX1RWs[/YT]
07-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It sounds too quiet and there is a lot of hiss noise.

07-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
It sounds too quiet and there is a lot of hiss noise.
That's certainly what I think... Is it a firmware issue? I just realized it came with 1.00. Any reason to believe that 1.01 would make it better?
07-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Forum Member

Sounds like something is wrong with your camera.
If you are within the first 7 working days, depending on your country, just return it and ask for a new one.
07-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvandoren Quote
Sounds like something is wrong with your camera.
If you are within the first 7 working days, depending on your country, just return it and ask for a new one.
Yikes. That's not what I wanted to hear.
07-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Hey Phil,

I know that you said that your SR was off, but the K-x has two different SR options. One is for stills and the other for video. You'll have to make sure the SR option is off for video and it should quiet down some of that background noise. If you do have the correct SR option off, then I would have to agree with David and try to exchange it if you can. The K-x is a great camera.

07-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kangeroo82 Quote
Hey Phil,

I know that you said that your SR was off, but the K-x has two different SR options. One is for stills and the other for video. You'll have to make sure the SR option is off for video and it should quiet down some of that background noise. If you do have the correct SR option off, then I would have to agree with David and try to exchange it if you can. The K-x is a great camera.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've had both the still and the video SR off and no change (the video posted above was shot with the video SR off). I've contacted the store that sold it to me. Hopefully, they will do the right thing when business opens tomorrow.
07-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #10

Yeah, that's definitely not right.
07-10-2010, 04:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've not had that issue - the in-built mic is quite OK. In fact too OK sometimes in sucking up ambient noise.

Check to see that no dust or crud has gotten into the mic hole. Your problem could be that simple.
07-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I've not had that issue - the in-built mic is quite OK. In fact too OK sometimes in sucking up ambient noise.

Check to see that no dust or crud has gotten into the mic hole. Your problem could be that simple.
Thanks. It's already in the post heading to the store that sent it. We'll see what they say once it's inspected. Hopefully I'll get it back working soon.