Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Problem with Pentax Warranty Work

Recently my three month old K7 developed a problem with its auto-focus so I pursued having it repaired under the factory warrantee. Unfortunately this experience was not a pleasant one and I wanted to share with the forum my tale.
First stop the Pentax website to find out the process for getting service. As I read the website it appeared to suggest that I should send the camera to the closest service center which in my case was CRJ in Duluth GA. I found out later that these instructions were a bit off he mark and I should have sent it to Pentax service in Chandler AZ. Next stop I sent the camera to CRJ and waited. I contacted CRJ several times over the next couple of weeks only to be given ever longer wait periods for service. Eventually I called and complained to CRJ strongly and was told that they could not repair the auto-focus issue due to some calibration tool that Pentax is unwilling to sell to non-factory service centers. When I asked why they had held the camera so long when I clearly said it was an auto-focus issue they said that they had been trying to make it work with what they had on hand. After much more complaining CRJ eventually stated that they would send the camera to Pentax in AZ for repair. My calls to Pentax regarding this matter led to little response other than an agreement from the rep I spoke with that Pentax's website could have been clearer in their instructions.
Finally after almost a month my camera was returned to me with the repair done. The only problem is that due to the delay I was unable to take my new camera with me on a very important trip that I had specifically planned on using it for.
After all of this I still love my K7 and am very happy to have it back, but I am less than pleased with the response I got from Pentax and I will NEVER use CRJ for any repairs in the future. My experience is the only reference I have and I hope others have had better responses. This post is not meant to be a bash Pentax or CRJ fest, I merely am sharing what happened to me.

07-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Personally I would feel lucky if any repairs were done right the 1st time.
07-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you were given some bad information, but you got your camera back, in working condition, in 4 weeks. That's still within the normal turnaround time, and even quick compared to some.
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

frankly, that scares me...

I bought my camera and lenses because smaller companies normally care more about service. I guess this aspect of Pentax escaped my reviews prior to purchasing. I sure hope I never need service...

07-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
frankly, that scares me...

I bought my camera and lenses because smaller companies normally care more about service. I guess this aspect of Pentax escaped my reviews prior to purchasing. I sure hope I never need service...
You make a rather large jump to a conclusion. Every company has a horror-story.
07-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

And this is far from a horror story. A mistake and inconvenience, yes. But little more than that.
07-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess I didn't read the fine print. Jodokast96, you had said 4 weeks was not a bad turnaround time - even quick in some instances. I'm used to environments where more than 24 hours is considered unacceptable.

I realize the solution worked. I realize there was a mistake that led to a longer time than what could be expected.

But, who took the ownership? Who made sure it was made right? I expect the employees of Pentax (either direct or via contractual arrangement) to have my best interests as their focus (no pun intended).

I did not jump to a conclusion. I read the facts as presented:
1) the web site was not clear enough for Jon in SC to determine where to send it
2) his requests for status did not provide him with any solution until he complained
3) Pentax agreed their website was not clear
4) Jodokast96 said this was within the normal turnaround time and quick compared to some

So, I wish I would have looked more closely at this particular facet of my purchase (not even sure if competitors are better) and certainly hope I never need this and lose my camera for a month. It's not a deal-breaker for me, I probably still would have bought Pentax - but their service, with what I'm used to, is poor at best.

I've been working with them on a problem with my DA* 60-250 not recognizing properly and I gotta say I'm more worried now than prior to reading this thread. I'll ensure I carefully walk through the situation. I realize after working in the service industry for 18 year every company has their horror stories, but no one led me to believe the timeframes were outside of normal expectations...
07-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Personally I would feel lucky if any repairs were done right the 1st time.
I hope you don't feel the same way about your doctors...

As to the matter of the repair center misunderstanding, the Pentax website states very clearly:
Please ship all products requiring warranty repair to the service facility nearest you. We no longer accept walk-in or repair drop offs at the PENTAX Service Facility.

Nowhere on the Pentax website does it say "If you're having auto-focusing issues, don't send it to CRJ, ABC, or XYZ because we refuse to give them our super-secret squirrel calibration tool."

If this is in fact true, CRJ should have immediately forwarded the camera to AZ.

07-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

According to the guys at my local camera store, every company drops the ball from time to time.
It's a pity that it's an imperfect world.
07-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
I hope you don't feel the same way about your doctors...
Seriously, our family has come across some doctors which were indeed, not trustworthy. One even screwed up my aunt's surgery and it was until many years later, she could afford to have it addressed by another private doctor. Luckily, we can now find the majority of answers online. IMHO, most doctors are to be consulted, but only a handful can be trusted. Just because they were qualified to be doctors, doesn't mean they were good doctors. The same applies to other professions.
07-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
And this is far from a horror story. A mistake and inconvenience, yes. But little more than that.
That is also true.
07-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
In retrospective my experience was frustrating but as has been pointed in the end I did get my camera back in working order.

I just checked the Pentax website and found that they haven't made any attempt to reword the header on the service center page. When this happened I specifically requested that my complaint be sent to the appropriate department for review and consideration regarding rewording the informaiton they give consumers on their website. I know large companys move slowly, hopefully my words did not fall on deaf ears.

My personal experience with CRJ was terrible all the way around. The person I spoke with there on several occations was rude and from my perspective dishonest regarding the actions they had taken. They didn't seem to care at all until I started calling multiple times and confronted them on previous statements they had made that proved inaccurate. At that point my camera was "Being shipped to Pentax and it was out of their control, please don't call them again."

I realize that every company has a bad day and even good employees occasionally come across rude or give bad advise. I am certainly not suggesting that every person's experience with CRJ will be horrible, I can only speak about this is one issue with me as one customer. Hopefully my experience with CRJ was not typical.
07-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon in SC Quote

Hopefully my experience with CRJ was not typical.
If it was, they wouldn't be in business.
07-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Jon in SC

I think the mistake people make with Pentax warranty service repair is just what you did send the camera not to Pentax but to some other "authorized" outfit. What makes it worse is Pentax lists the "authorized" shops on the Pentax website.

On the Pentax USA website under the Support page Customer Care tab then under Product Repair the best bet is to send warranty repairs directly to Pentax Service. There are instructions laid out there under, How do I send my equipment to PENTAX Service?

This is what I did when I needed warranty repair for my K20D for an SD card read/write problem. The turn around was about 10 days or so. What I would suggest to anyone needing warranty repair is send the camera directly to Pentax Service and not some "authorized" repair dealer that might be closer to your location.

Ironically Pentax recently issued a firmware update for the K20D to fix the very problem I was having. I am not sure if that is how they fixed my K20D or if they did a hardware fix as I sent my camera in a year earlier from when Pentax issued the firmware update.
07-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Jon in SC

I think the mistake people make with Pentax warranty service repair is just what you did send the camera not to Pentax but to some other "authorized" outfit. What makes it worse is Pentax lists the "authorized" shops on the Pentax website.

On the Pentax USA website under the Support page Customer Care tab then under Product Repair the best bet is to send warranty repairs directly to Pentax Service. There are instructions laid out there under, How do I send my equipment to PENTAX Service?
I agree from now on any repairs are going directly to Pentax in Chandler AZ. When I was sending my camera in I thought I was sending it to Pentax. As I said, the website is confusing. You are correct in one place on the website it states to send warranty work to Pentax in AZ. Unfortunately in another place on the same website it under "Find a Service Center" it tells you to send your camera to the "center nearest you". Since I live in SC, GA was closest and thus the problem.