Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #1

The price of used k-7

Hello guys,
I am new to pentax DSLR, but have been tempted by the features of k-7 for a long time. These days found the new k-7 price dropped to $740 after Bing cash back, thought it is the right time to buy a used k-7 at $500 or something close, but after searching on the ebay, found the used k-7 sells for near $700. What's the reason that ppl want to buy a used one almost at the same as the new one? I am really confused!

Sorry if my question is too naive.....

07-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Sorry Bro.
People really overprice there stuff because they think its better then what it really is, just go to craigslist and you will see all the philistines. If you are looking for a body-only K-7 then you MIGHT find one at that price but it wont be easy. The K-7 is still a very new camera with timeless features like WR, even older bodies like the K-20 still sell for 500 bucks and more on KEH.com. Also be aware that if you find a K-7 for 500, it will most likely be in a condition you wouldnt like very much. Perhaps if you have the time, you will wait for a new Pentax body to come out so the price of the K-7 drops. Many people think a new pentax body will come out or at least be announced by early 2011.

Hope I could help, good luck
07-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip. Yes, a good camera deserve to hold it's price for a while. Maybe I shoud just wait for another several months. Just still don't understand what motivated ppl to bid at that high price and don't get a new one with warrantee. Is the pentax wattantee transferable or not?
07-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For sure the e-bayer who bought it for that price cannot purchase it online at the same price due to custom tax/VAT.

In my country (Romania, EU) a K7 kit is 1200 USD so I would buy one for 700 on ebay...

Fortunately I have bought mine a few months ago from someone who got it from the US so I paid USD 900 for it. At that time, it was USD 1400 in Romania.

07-09-2010, 04:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As Kytra said, if an ebay seller is offering international shipping, at $700 USD, even after import fees this is likely significantly lower than purchasing in their own country of residence. Since it has been out for an entire year and still hovering around or near $800, I think the K-7 has hit near bottom for the price of a new body. The K20d had gone well past this price point after 1 year, and was probably already rebounding from its' bottom (which if I recall was around $600). Take the pricing to mean there are stronger sales than previous bodies, which bodes well for the brand in general. You can also compare to the pricing of the competition (canon 7d and nikon d300/s) and realize Pentax is still the value brand that gives you the most bang for your buck.
07-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

People also price their used equipment off the price they paid for it, rather than the current price. I ran into the same thing when I bought the K10d and K20d. I usually buy one body well into the model cycle for the same reason I like to buy a slightly used car. However, each time, it has seemed to me that the Ebayers don't get the concept of depreciation, and the bargain is always with the retailer selling off the stock of the older model.
07-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Now I get it.....Thanks for the reply. Maybe time to think about get a new one before bing cash back expired.

07-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #8

Just an FYI I just picked up a new K7 (body) only online from Central Digital for only $755. Cheaper than a lot of used ones I was looking at on ebay.
07-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hfthomp Quote
Just an FYI I just picked up a new K7 (body) only online from Central Digital for only $755. Cheaper than a lot of used ones I was looking at on ebay.
Yeap, I did see that price. But have not bought from them before, don't know if they will play the trick like other small retailers do (selling overpriced accessories). How about them? From ebay, the lowest price $799 is with free shipping, with 8% bing cash back, it would be about $735. So if I decide to buy a new one, I prefer to go to ebay.
07-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by lwsy711 Quote
Yeap, I did see that price. But have not bought from them before, don't know if they will play the trick like other small retailers do (selling overpriced accessories). How about them? From ebay, the lowest price $799 is with free shipping, with 8% bing cash back, it would be about $735. So if I decide to buy a new one, I prefer to go to ebay.
Yeah, they called me after I placed my order trying to sell me a few accessories, I told them no and they were very polite. It was a fast call and the camera shipped out the next day. I felt much more harrassed when I ordered from Abes of Maine in the past. I would recommend central digital.
07-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hfthomp Quote
Yeah, they called me after I placed my order trying to sell me a few accessories, I told them no and they were very polite. It was a fast call and the camera shipped out the next day. I felt much more harrassed when I ordered from Abes of Maine in the past. I would recommend central digital.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Seems like they are good according to the reviews. But still don't think it is a good manner to call someone to sell more after you already placed the order. So will keep central digital as backup when I start shopping for k7
07-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
People also price their used equipment off the price they paid for it, rather than the current price. I ran into the same thing when I bought the K10d and K20d. I usually buy one body well into the model cycle for the same reason I like to buy a slightly used car. However, each time, it has seemed to me that the Ebayers don't get the concept of depreciation, and the bargain is always with the retailer selling off the stock of the older model.
So very true. I especially loved it last year when pentax was trying to blow out the remaining K20's and basically gave a 3yr Manufacturers warranty to make them move that much faster... Now that was a solid deal. I wonder if they will do the same thing with the K7's?
07-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lwsy711 Quote
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Seems like they are good according to the reviews. But still don't think it is a good manner to call someone to sell more after you already placed the order. So will keep central digital as backup when I start shopping for k7
Tristate does the call-back thing, too. They left me a message when I bought a lens there; I didn't return the call and still got the lens. No biggie.
07-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 41ants Quote
So very true. I especially loved it last year when pentax was trying to blow out the remaining K20's and basically gave a 3yr Manufacturers warranty to make them move that much faster... Now that was a solid deal. I wonder if they will do the same thing with the K7's?
As I recall, I got the K20d for around $600 with that deal. I'd probably bite if they do that with the K-7.
07-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Tristate does the call-back thing, too. They left me a message when I bought a lens there; I didn't return the call and still got the lens. No biggie.
Oh, thought they are the better dealer.......It's really annoying that when they want to talk you into some 'trap', e.g. only a high speed card can do video.

Maybe wait and buy from the big dealers when they blow out the k-7
But best would be before bing cash back expires this month(I know it is not gonna happen)