Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Book recommendations

I've had my K100D 18-55 DA for a month now, and I've learned a lot but there is clearly a lot more to learn. The manual, of course, is only a starting point, and even so, it does not cover all subjects (for example, I wasn't aware, until I asked here, that the noise reduction system doubles the time it takes to expose a photo - one exposure for the photo with the shutter open, one with the shutter closed for the noise reduction frame).

I understand concepts like aperture, exposure, ISO, depth of field, white balence etc. I've read through the manual and understand what it says. What I need is something to explain how to get the best out of those features.

So what are the recommendations: for digital photography in general, and for the K100D in particular?

Richard

08-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
I've had my K100D 18-55 DA for a month now, and I've learned a lot but there is clearly a lot more to learn. The manual, of course, is only a starting point, and even so, it does not cover all subjects (for example, I wasn't aware, until I asked here, that the noise reduction system doubles the time it takes to expose a photo - one exposure for the photo with the shutter open, one with the shutter closed for the noise reduction frame).

I understand concepts like aperture, exposure, ISO, depth of field, white balence etc. I've read through the manual and understand what it says. What I need is something to explain how to get the best out of those features.

So what are the recommendations: for digital photography in general, and for the K100D in particular?

Richard
I personally found the following books useful :

- Complete Digital Photography (Ben Long)
- Understanding Exposure (Bryan Petersen)

An Amazon search should provide you with details of the above books as well as numerous others...

K100D specific books (in addition to the Manual) -

- the Magic Lantern Guide to K100D/K110 - also available from Amazon
- I believe the author of the K10D book is going to release a similar guide to the K100D in time
08-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote

Richard
Richard,

Check my website, I am the author of the Pentax K10D Everything you need to know...and then some. We are almost ready to publish a similar book for the K100D, which will contain information also asked by my readers.
k10dbook home
You can also visit our Blog from that site as well.

Hope this answer your question.
Magic Lanterns also has a book out, closer to the OEM manual.
08-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #4

I would second "Understanding Exposure" (Bryan Petersen). It's a great book and really helps to bring in a few questions that you need to ask before taking a photo to get the right aperture, shutter speeds and DOF. Definatly worth reading.

08-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wondered about the Magic Lantern book... it only has 1 star on Amazon, so I was leery of purchasing it.

I am off to search our library database to see if they have that Petersen book!
08-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Romoman Quote
I would second "Understanding Exposure" (Bryan Petersen). It's a great book and really helps to bring in a few questions that you need to ask before taking a photo to get the right aperture, shutter speeds and DOF. Definatly worth reading.
It's okay. It's a pretty basic book, but does have some good suggestions. I take objection to his portrayal of shutter speed / aperture / ISO as a "triangle", which I think is a poor way to think of it, because the relationship between the sides isn't obvious. A better (and more accurate) visualization is a cube.
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #7

But a cube would require a fourth element

It is basic, but IMHO, it gives you the basic "camera" framework to think of when making a photo. It's not an advanced style book, but starts to lay the framework for building upon (at least it did for me).
08-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Romoman Quote
But a cube would require a fourth element
I dunno what universe you live in. Here, cubes are three-dimensional.

Length Height Width = Volume of Cube

Aperture Exposure Length ISO = Exposure Value

08-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
I wondered about the Magic Lantern book... it only has 1 star on Amazon, so I was leery of purchasing it.

I am off to search our library database to see if they have that Petersen book!
I have both books.

The Magic Lantern series is a step above the manual in that is uses better English, explains features a little more, and has some handy reference material on different series of lenses. Odd that it uses black-and-white photos - even to ilustrate white balance :-) The wallet cards are useless however. If you lost your manual this would be a good replacement.

Understanding Exposure is frequently recommended yet I found it to be over- rated. Although a few exposure tips (blue sky, green foliage, etc) is handy, that can be condensed into a one-page cheat sheet. Even though it is "updated" is is showing its age, and the author uses a few odd phrases which can be confusing until you realize what he really means - such as "I turned the aperture ring until f11 indicated the correct exposure". He meant "he turned the ring until the correct exposure was indicated" (happened to be f11). Nice photos.
08-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #10
Banned

"Learning to See Creatively"

Its a must read.
08-18-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I quite enjoyed Understanding Exposure, I found it pretty basic but then it is a beginner's book. I would recommend any one book by Freeman Patterson as well. His photography is amazing and his philosophy and approach to photography is unique. However he repeats himself from book to book.
04-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #12

Maybe this will help, PhotoWiz 1.0 http://bit.ly/bl6mvz

Maybe PhotoWiz 1.0 Camera tips and settings will help, Download: https://marketplace.windowsphone.com/details.aspx?appId=51ad12c3-a95c-4274-8...ords%3DCarmelo , Demo: YouTube - PhotoWiz 1.0 Available Now!