Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

K20D and AF540FGZ flash.

I have been using K20D, Pentax lens SMC DA 18-250 as a general purpose lens, AF540FGZ flash for over 2 years with no problems. I also have a K200D (I like AA battery capability). Over the last few days, the K20D's behavior has been bizarre. When I use the external flash, the exposure varies from total bleach to total darkness. Typical settings are: Program mode, usually f4 to f8, depending on ambient light. Shutter range 60 to 180, ISO range 100 to 800. I usually leave ISO on auto and let the camera pick. Until 2 days ago, shots were on the mark with no exposure compensation. The same flash gun on my K200D is on the dot. What's more bizarre, is that the built in flash on K20d gives accurate result and as well when I use the 540fgz in wireless mode as primary with internal only as a control, I get good result. Any ideas?

kris.

07-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by polur101 Quote
I have been using K20D, Pentax lens SMC DA 18-250 as a general purpose lens, AF540FGZ flash for over 2 years with no problems. I also have a K200D (I like AA battery capability). Over the last few days, the K20D's behavior has been bizarre. When I use the external flash, the exposure varies from total bleach to total darkness. Typical settings are: Program mode, usually f4 to f8, depending on ambient light. Shutter range 60 to 180, ISO range 100 to 800. I usually leave ISO on auto and let the camera pick. Until 2 days ago, shots were on the mark with no exposure compensation. The same flash gun on my K200D is on the dot. What's more bizarre, is that the built in flash on K20d gives accurate result and as well when I use the 540fgz in wireless mode as primary with internal only as a control, I get good result. Any ideas?

kris.
Try re-registering the flash on the K20d. Make sure you are using the right channels, and so forth, as in your manual. It sounds as if the flash might be on a different channel than on the K20d - you might have accidentally changed it when registering the K200d.
07-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Humm, if I understand you correctly, your external flash does not work only when mounted on the k20, is that it?

I'd guess bad contacts on your K20 hot shoe, then... Try cleaning them.
07-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I thought registering the flash with the camera is only for wireless flash. My problem is other way around. Flash exposure is erratice when mounted on the camera!

07-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Humm, if I understand you correctly, your external flash does not work only when mounted on the k20, is that it?

I'd guess bad contacts on your K20 hot shoe, then... Try cleaning them.
I had done that, no avail.