Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lets Discuss Tethering and why.....

Just curious the models prior to the K-7 included tethering, I even managed to get tethering to work on a k100D.

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why it was excluded?

I do recall reading somewhere someone saying that it's only software, but if so then wouldn't it be quite easy for Pentax to just write the code and issue a firmware update, or is it that the hardware just doesn't support it?

I never really appreciated the use of tethering until recently and now I'm quite annoyed us K-7onites can't use it.

07-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think they just plain don't think enough people want it enough to pay for it, and it's a dog eat dog world out there where every dollar you add to the price of a camera cuts into sales.
So, they have to look at what's important to most, and what they can leave off and p'off the fewest.
And, unfortunately, tethered support lost out.
While I have rarely used tethered, I would like it to be available to me, but what I would like is full control of the camera from the computer, and not just downloading to a hot folder.
07-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah I agree, software developers are not cheap, so I assume cost is what made them drop the feature.

Although, it's odd because they do have the application functional on some of their digital SLRs in some form... I find it hard to believe the camera firmware code necessary to do tethering would be not too difficult to transfer to their newer models. Unless camera generations (D, *ist, KXXXD, kXXD, K-7) are seriously different from a firmware standpoint...
07-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I remember or I can swear reading on the forum last year before the K7 came out that it was a hardware limitation, but cannot remember where.

How much in common does the K20D have with the K7 hardware wise, I thought they used the same Sensor so i'd imagine much of the H/W would be the same.

07-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think it is the change to PTP in the new cameras that ended the current support. I would bet that the profitability drive killed any idea of supporting PTP any further than storage retrival. If you remember, both the K-7 and K-X came out with firmware that wasn't ready for prime time and took what, six months to become stable? I don't expect to see tethering return to Pentax cameras until 2012, or the next, next camera bodies and I'm only half sure that it will. Probably it won't unless something changes in the current market.

Thank you
Russell
07-10-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm just wondering why tethering is so important these days. With wireless technology becoming much more mature than it was four of five years ago, it doesn't take much thinking to come to the conclusion that with the advances in technology that has been made that wireless image transfer would be a better option. I hate cables dangling from my camera when i'm hand holding it. Wireless security and encryption is of course, a concern. if one looks at the Eye-one series of wireless cards with their abysmal transfer rates, I can see a potential for Pentax to come out with a wireless transmitter akin to the one canon and nikon DLSR cameras use, albeit with the ability to remotely control the camera in addition to wirelessly transmit images to computers along a secured connection. I know plenty of situations where this would be beneficial.

licensed use HDMI on mass volume electronic products costs $10,000 and carries a royalty of 4 cents per device. If Pentax changed to the displayport type connector which carries no such royalty and is a open standard. And has the additional ability to transmit/receive data as well as audio/video signals at very high speeds and with wireless hardware using 802.11N that can transmit data at 37.5MB/s and considering a raw file from the Pentax 645D is approximately 50MB it would be feasible.
07-10-2010, 04:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I believe John Carlson said that the K7 hardware is not able to perform tethering. On the other hand, the 645D is hardware capable, but the software hasn't been released for it yet. Probably come in a firmware up date. I do wonder how many photogs actually use tethering. Most studio photographers I know don't.
07-10-2010, 05:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I believe John Carlson said that the K7 hardware is not able to perform tethering. On the other hand, the 645D is hardware capable, but the software hasn't been released for it yet. Probably come in a firmware up date. I do wonder how many photogs actually use tethering. Most studio photographers I know don't.

I use tethering every now and then, Capture one is my standard program for focus confirmation and image preview. And most of the studio photographers I know make use of it.

07-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It also seems that with the newer releases of cameras, like the K-7, Pentax positioned itself (sealing, small rugged bodies) for more of an outdoors, nature photography, etc. type of user, who would not be the type who needs tethering. Hence the cut their costs by not developing it. I still think it would be a good thing to have that functionality, so hopefully Pentax will revisit this.
07-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Not news or rumor. Moved to DSLR.
07-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'm just wondering why tethering is so important these days.
Because we now have a small portable, powerful hand held general computing power.
  • Couple the ability of tethering software to save setting profiles and retrieve them, you then have unlimited USER modes.
  • You no longer need a smart remote. Unlimited interval shooting. Mix the interval with unlimited USER modes, say adding/subtracting EV compensation based on time of day, ...
  • Take it a step further and start having smart flashes and you can now replicate shooting scenarios with ease.
  • Take it a step further and provide remote live view and you now have made articulating LCDs on camera bodies obsolete.
  • Take it a step further to allow expansion of features by having a programmable API for the camera and you have the ability for people to individually buy features. Would you like have auto focus bracketing/stacking? Buy it for $1
  • The ability to transfer a jpeg through a cellular network.
  • Finally the big one, tethering enables people with disabilities to pursue photography.
I'm actually not that smart, or creative, so I'm sure there are a lot more things to be done that I haven't thought of.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 07-10-2010 at 09:50 PM.
07-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm just wondering why tethering is so important these days. With wireless technology becoming much more mature than it was four of five years ago,.....
Wireless drains batteries pretty quickly.

The tethering capability should have been in the K7 and it really needs to make it into the K7's replacement. Slide in the full capability, down loading images, full aperture, shutter, and ISO control. Shutter release. If Pentax were to publish the API, I am sure the open source community would build the PC side. Just ensure the camera side API is full featured. Do it once and then just reuse it....

07-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
  • Couple the ability of tethering software to save setting profiles and retrieve them, you then have unlimited USER modes.
  • You no longer need a smart remote. Unlimited interval shooting. Mix the interval with unlimited USER modes, say adding/subtracting EV compensation based on time of day, ...
  • Take it a step further and start having smart flashes and you can now replicate shooting scenarios with ease.
  • Take it a step further and provide remote live view and you now have made articulating LCDs on camera bodies obsolete.
  • Take it a step further to allow expansion of features by having a programmable API for the camera and you have the ability for people to individually buy features. Would you like have auto focus bracketing/stacking? Buy it for $1
  • The ability to transfer a jpeg through a cellular network.
  • Finally the big one, tethering enables people with disabilities to pursue photography.
I'm actually not that smart, or creative, so I'm sure there are a lot more things to be done that I haven't thought of.

Thank you
Russell
Russel, you have some good points though you should have read the rest of my post. I personally use tethering with my Nikon DSLR cameras and I have enjoyed many of its advantages.

Interested Observer : I am aware that wireless does drain batteries, the nikon and canon wireless transmitters use two AA batteries as a power supply so the main camera battery is spared the burden of powering it. I like the thought about API development being open source, especially since Pentax support DNG which is another open standard. That is IF pentax are prepared to develop the support for tethering on the hardware level.
07-17-2010, 02:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Russel, you have some good points though you should have read the rest of my post. I personally use tethering with my Nikon DSLR cameras and I have enjoyed many of its advantages.
I read it again, and I see your point. I thought you were posting that a EyeFi solution should be enough, i.e. just getting the files off the camera. Rereading, I see you are just talking about the physical cable itself. I'm not sure how I missed the last sentence in that paragraph.

Thank you
Russell