Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Well, sure - but that's an entirely different ISO standard. They maintain *thousands* of different standards. I'm guessing you were dealing some of the business practice standards, like the ISO 9000 standard. Actually verifying the exposure standards (eg, ISO 12232) would be a highly technical affair. Not that I'd expect ISO would actually be certifying camera compliance with these standards - but independent reviewers do.

BTW, yes, I think "Sunny 11" seems pretty appropriate for many situations on the digital cameras I've used. I doubt it's APS-C specific. It's probably true of any digital camera accurately following the ISO standards.
Sunny 16 is appropriate to, in particular, Kodachrome slide film. If you blow the highlights on a slide, you have lost the image. I also have some tests where I used sunny 16 with my 400/5.6, and the exposures are perfect, as I like them. I did this while checking to see if the aperture lever was the cause of uneven exposures using the K10d's meter. The exposures did not vary with the f/stop set using sunny 16 for the shutter speed. Altitude about 4,000 feet (1250 m). I found the exposures were perfect.

07-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sunny 16 works fine for 35mm negative film, and (in my experience) slightly underexposes slide film (K64). But that was a deliberate technique of a lot of K64 shooters. Many would just set the speed to 80 (instead of 64) to get the same effect.

When I'm not trying to deliberately underexpose, it always seemed to work as "Sunny 11.x" for me (about 13 when the aperture goes in 1/3EV steps).
07-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eastman Quote
Sunny 16 works fine for 35mm negative film, and (in my experience) slightly underexposes slide film (K64). But that was a deliberate technique of a lot of K64 shooters. Many would just set the speed to 80 (instead of 64) to get the same effect.

When I'm not trying to deliberately underexpose, it always seemed to work as "Sunny 11.x" for me (about 13 when the aperture goes in 1/3EV steps).
I rechecked my Flickr tests here

K10D + SMCP-M 400/5.6 - a set on Flickr

and they are at 1/350, or 1/3 stop overexposed, which puts us in very close territory, exposure wise. f/13 is half a stop between 11 and 16. I would actually have preferred a bit less exposure to retain more detail in the snow pack, but the objective of the series was to find out if the exposure changes with M lenses was mechanical or metering before I spent money on the LL-60 screen from the *ist D series of cameras, not to verify the sunny 16 rules. I had to use manual mode to do this, and sunny 16 made sense to me at the time.

There was discussion back then on the list about whether the actuation lever was linear or non-linear between the M series and the Kxx D series of cameras. All the exposures are virtually identical, which told me to spend the money, which turned out to be very well spent indeed, correcting the metering problems with the crippled KA mount.
07-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
Site Supporter

It pains me to say anything about this, but the ISO for digital cameras is based on a different standard than those for films (yes, that is films, plural).

I noticed some time ago that the sensor on my K10D is not strictly linear in the same way that various films are. An 18% gray card meters with the same settings on my K10D as my hand-held Gossen Luna-Lux and various film SLRs, but the highlights and shadows follow a different "characteristic curve".

The Wikipedia article on film speed has a fairly complete discussion on this:

Film speed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve