Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #1

Trouble changing K-7 focusing screen

So this started out the way all bad things start with my camera--there was a piece of dust behind the focusing screen driving me crazy. Against my better judgment I take out the focusing screen and successfully remove the culprit. Bad news, for the life of me I can't get the focusing screen bracket back into place.

Just to make sure I'm not crazy, I take out the K10D and pull out the focusing screen. It pops in and out with absolutely no effort what so ever. Go back to the K-7 and once again no dice. Is there some new subtlety that I'm missing with the K-7 focusing screen change procedure? I figure I'd ask before I give up and send the body in for service.

Edit: Just to clarify my problem a little, I'm having trouble getting the tray to lock into place even without the focusing screen in it.

07-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Sounds like you've damaged the locking mechanism.
Did you use the correct tool for the job or did you just use whatever sharp object you could find around the house?
Why people get their shorts knotted up over a little dust astounds me.
07-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I swapped out the focusing screen in my K-7 for a Katz eye and it didn't go as smoothly as it did for my K10D. The mechanism does seem to be just a wee bit quirkier. That being said, If I can't see the dust in my images, I'm not going to bother with it.