Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Bracketing the istD

I'm having a difficult time with bracketing the istD. Page 82 of the manual says "Press the multiple exposure / auto bracket button until (icons) appears on the LCD panel.

Should I be in the Auto mode (green) or some other mode?

Thanks

08-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #2

If it's anything like my K100D, you can use it in any mode except for "bulb". I'm not sure on how to set it to work since your functions are different then my camera. That's about as much as I can help you.
08-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can be in any mode but bulb and green .To auto bracket, push and hold the auto bracket/multi expose button. While holding the button turn front dial to select auto bracket icon, turn rear dial to select compensation value. release button.
Compose shot, focus and the camera will take the 3 frames while you hold the shutter button down.
08-15-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I'm having a difficult time with bracketing the istD. Page 82 of the manual says "Press the multiple exposure / auto bracket button until (icons) appears on the LCD panel.

Should I be in the Auto mode (green) or some other mode?

Thanks
Keep the button pressed while turning the front e-dial one click to the right - the bracketing icon will then show. Use the back e-dial to select how much to bracket.

08-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ole, I remembered you had the istD and was hoping for an answer.

Where do you have your Mode Dial set to???? I have mine on the Green Auto and should probably have set to P or Av - what do you think.

Do you actually have to keep the button down and shoot 3 shots??? Should the camera take only one shot and make the adjustments by itself??

Thanks
08-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Again, if it's anything like the K100 hold the shutter button while it takes 3 quick photo's. Plus you can quickly press the shutter button 2 more times for 2 additional exposures
08-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Thanks Ole, I remembered you had the istD and was hoping for an answer.

Where do you have your Mode Dial set to???? I have mine on the Green Auto and should probably have set to P or Av - what do you think.

Do you actually have to keep the button down and shoot 3 shots??? Should the camera take only one shot and make the adjustments by itself??

Thanks
I usually use P mode. When you have set the bracketing you can let go of that button. The camera will stay in bracketing mode until you press the button again and turn the e-dial one click to the left.

You can keep the shutter down until all three photos have been taken, or you can click three times in a row. You can see in the finder how many photos of the bracketing sequence are left to take: Initially there are three small bars on the exposure scale to the right. They show at which EV compensations the shotts will be taken. As you take the shots, the bars disappear one by one. When you again see three bars that's when the bracketing cycle was complete and you're ready for the next set.

08-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

BAM-BAM-BAM! The bars disappear one by one.

*Reload* flashes in the viewfinder...

Hey so how would you manage trying to merge the three for HDR with Photoshop CS2? I don't have CS3 and I don't use photoshop for anything but the occasional levels adjustment when I screw up WB.
08-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Personally for HDR pic's I just shoot in RAW, and change the exposure with software. That way you know there's nothing different from 1 pic to the next.
08-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

But CS2 doesn't have HDR compiling ability right?
08-17-2007, 04:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ole, Pete and Stu.
Will try things out later today - still early here - and get back to the forum.
08-17-2007, 04:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Personally for HDR pic's I just shoot in RAW, and change the exposure with software. That way you know there's nothing different from 1 pic to the next.
that's not hdr, that's tone mapping. if you're using 1 picture how do you get high dynamic range from it? you need 5 (atleast) for a proper hdr at different shutter speeds and the same aperture to record different ranges of light and then merge them together.
08-23-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A little late but, Thanks for the assist guys. Finally got it and works well.
I thought it might be done thru the onboard software but guess not.