Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another K7 Noise thread.

How many is this now? This one is not a complaint one, just more of an observation. The K7 is a great camera, but one thing that I do find strange is that is your picture is underexposed, it seems to have noise, even at 100 or 200 (at least compared to my *istD), but when you get the exposure on, boy does it ever do a good job. Took this a couple days ago at 1600, and got very little noise. Hardly and noise reduction done to the RAW file. I would have never done this with my *istD.

07-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The amount of detail on the macaw is amazing.
Love the colours !

A few times I've had to "push" an accidentally underexposed K-7 shot, and its noisy, even at low ISOs. ISO3200 is ugly.

Not all is lost....Noiseware cleaned up the RAW output nicely, but the aggressive level of NR required smoothed out quite a lot of fine detail.
07-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, you know, the whole signal-to-noise ratio thing.

Underexposed=more noise, I believe, is an equation that's been around since the film days.
07-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found that too ... do not underexpose with the K7 and the pics come out rather well even at ISO1250, in my case.
I usually try not to go beyond ISO1000 with the K7 but when it needs too, as long as the exposure is right on the button, it is quite acceptable.
As of late, having neglected the K7 in favour of the K20D for birding, I have started to "re-test" high ISO with the K7.
No pictures to show here ... too lazy, but I think I am finally getting some keepers.

JP

07-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got myself a K-7 for a very good price just days after buying a K20D and have to say that after using my K10D for a couple of years the K20D just felt so much better and the high ISO seemed superior as well.

Anyway I have started using the K-7 for most of my shots and I am actually very pleased with the ISO performance now .. I still don't think its in the same league as the Canon 7D I borrowed a few months ago but then the K-7 is half the price.

Couple taken at ISO 1600 with hardly any noise reduction applied .. sold the K20D a few days ago

07-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Those turned out nice MikeP.
07-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I do not find the noise to be an issue most of the time, but I have been using f/1.4 glass and I have not had to push it very far. The DR is the area I have found the most trouble with, but only for certain types of photography. Highlight retention in scenes with high contrast seems to be the biggest problem, but there are a lot of cameras that struggle with this.

07-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Iso 2000 m50 1.7

Took this last night at the local Roller Derby. Now my focus isn't on here, but I didn't see or expect the Jammer to shoot right in front of me when I snapped it. I thought it looked cool even not in focus.

Anyway! Yeah, this is 2000 ISO. I found it was acceptable. Zero Noise Reduction. I am thinking it would clean up very, very well.
07-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

FWIW, if you underexpose by a certain amount - say half a stop - then push in PP, the results are *exactly* the same as simply shooting at a correspondingly higher ISO. Either way, the sensor is exposed to exactly the same amount of light for exactly the same length of time and thus collects exactly the same number of photons.
07-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

just do ETTR and you should be fine.