Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help! K7 malfunctioning

My k7 was working fine this morning then when I pulled it out this afternoon I ran into trouble. If composing through the viewfinder everything seems to work fine (focus, changing exposure settings, shutter release) but their is no image captured, just a black screen. If composing with liveview a thick black band appears through the middle of the screen and it won't autofocus, I presume because the focus box is in the middle of the black area. I am not familiar with the inner components of a camera so do not know where to start looking. It is still under warranty so I can send it in but hoped it may be something simple. It is nothing to do with a lens as I have tried a couple with the same problem.

Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.
Sam

07-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Beyond resetting the factory setting, checking the firmware and reformatting the card, it seems that the camera must be sent for repairs under warranty. I'm sorry for you but hope that it can be repaired promptly.
07-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by samski_1 Quote
My k7 was working fine this morning then when I pulled it out this afternoon I ran into trouble. If composing through the viewfinder everything seems to work fine (focus, changing exposure settings, shutter release) but their is no image captured, just a black screen. If composing with liveview a thick black band appears through the middle of the screen and it won't autofocus, I presume because the focus box is in the middle of the black area. I am not familiar with the inner components of a camera so do not know where to start looking. It is still under warranty so I can send it in but hoped it may be something simple. It is nothing to do with a lens as I have tried a couple with the same problem.

Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.
Sam
Try all the resets and reformats as HCC suggests. Then take the card out of the camera and take a picture which it will do without a card, it just won't be saved. That will rule out the card.. Try a different lens. If it works with a different lens, then it isn't the camera. Are you using a Flash? Check the settings for that (the reset in the setup menu will get you back to factory defaults.

Just all ideas of things to try.

07-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I ruled out a lens problem in my original post, it's definitely not that. I will try your other suggestions but I am pretty sure there is a physical obstruction rather than a software issue as there is a rattle when I tilt the camera back and forward and the black band in the live view moves up and down. I will try your suggestions when I get home in a couple of days and let you know if I have any success.

Does anyone have suggestions on what may have come loose/broken internally?

07-11-2010, 01:56 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does the mirror assembly seem normal? In Live View the mirror needs to be in the UP position.
07-11-2010, 02:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Does the mirror assembly seem normal? In Live View the mirror needs to be in the UP position.
You are a lifesaver Asahiflex.

The mirror was getting stuck halfway. I gave it a nudge, it flicked up and all is good again. Any ideas what may have caused it and how to prevent a reoccurence?
Thank you.
07-11-2010, 02:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You are a lifesaver Asahiflex.

The mirror was getting stuck halfway. I gave it a nudge, it flicked up and all is good again. Any ideas what may have caused it and how to prevent a reoccurence?
Thank you.
I would send it in for repair. Mirror getting stuck is not a good sign...
07-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
mirror in lockup position

i had the same problem and found the answer on page 141 and 142 in the manual

07-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am pretty sure there is a physical obstruction rather than a software issue as there is a rattle when I tilt the camera back and forward
Note that much is normal - the SR system allows the sensor to float freely within a frame (see the zillions of other threads from people wondering what that noise is).

But a mirror getting stuck half way is, of course, *not* normal. Glad you got that figured out. I guess now you can decide if you think it was a fluke that won't happen again, or send it in. I'd personally be inclined to give it more more chance. If it never fails again, great. If it does, it's apparently easy enough to figure out and workaround temporarily to finish shooting. But then I'd be sending it in.
07-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Note that much is normal - the SR system allows the sensor to float freely within a frame (see the zillions of other threads from people wondering what that noise is).

That's reassuring, thank you.

But a mirror getting stuck half way is, of course, *not* normal. Glad you got that figured out. I guess now you can decide if you think it was a fluke that won't happen again, or send it in. I'd personally be inclined to give it more more chance. If it never fails again, great. If it does, it's apparently easy enough to figure out and workaround temporarily to finish shooting. But then I'd be sending it in.
I had the same thought myself as I have a skiing trip coming up in a couple of weeks I want the camera for.

Thank you all for your assistance. I have only been a forum member a short time but am very impressed with the quality of information that is shared.
Cheers
Sam