Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #1

Keeping DSLR safe at the beach

Hey guys,

I have been searching here and google for tips on taking a DSLR to the beach.

I only found this thread here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/6264-going-beach-n...me-advice.html

My question is, what precautions to take? I will be going to the Bahamas and want to protect my new K-x. I will not get too close to the water, but am worried about sand being kicked around and flying around.

Also is a UV filter recommended? Any good ones you can link to for the k-x?

Thanks!

07-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
I brought my k20D to Puerto Rico and had no problems at the beach. I set up my tripod in the sand and everthing. If its really windy though I wouldent bring it. I would not set it down anywhere when your done. I walked back to the rental car and cracked the windows.
07-12-2010, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NicK10D Quote
I brought my k20D to Puerto Rico and had no problems at the beach. I set up my tripod in the sand and everthing. If its really windy though I wouldent bring it. I would not set it down anywhere when your done. I walked back to the rental car and cracked the windows.
The difference between the K-x and the K20D is that the latter "is designed to be weather/dust-proof " and the K-x is NOT.

Rui
07-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just try not to switch lenses. If you must change a lens, just go to a low wind and secluded area and switch the lenses as fast as possible (without damaging them).

07-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #5

I took my k-x to hawaii and it was just fine. I took it to the beach quite a bit and i didn't have any problems with dust.

I made sure that the kx went into the camera bag when i wasn't using it though.
07-12-2010, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Coming from a non-user of UV filters, beaches are one of the places where I would consider putting a UV filter on, to protect the front elements from sand and salty air.
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Xatenp Quote
what precautions to take? I will be going to the Bahamas and want to protect my new K-x. I will not get too close to the water, but am worried about sand being kicked around and flying around.
We do alot of beach in our family(almost every sunny day there is) and our Pentax gear is always in toe. However, I will say there are two things that I dread with regards to the beach and DSLR camera's:

1) Sand
2) Humidity

Sand
The sand is the worst tbh. and though I beleive it depends on how down and dirty you get in you environment, it never ceases to amaze me how sand can get into your gear regardless. Which is opt never to clean another lens on the beach again. If it's dirty... well, that's just to bad because it will stay that way until I get home and tend to it.

Anyways, the best solution(I think), is to use a versatile lens like an 18-150mm if you really wants to avoid lens swapping on the beach. Otherwise, the risks are always there.

Humidity
Humidity is a little more obvious. If you're using a zoom(even WR) and the surfs up, then you want to be extra careful. The extension and retraction of the zoom will introduce humidity in the lens and you will have to deal with it asap. The issue is much less subtle than many people think as the heat of the sun combined with surf humidity make it quite easy to fog up lenses.

Anyways, if that happens and you deal with it quickly enough(dehumidifier) you should be okay. But if you leave it fester, there's always a chance it will leave residue marks.

There's also a third less common danger with corrosion on beaches, but that's only for those who spend lots of time on the beach's(daily).

And then of course.. we have the final most dangerous scenario of all... "Don't ever!" leave you bag on the sand and turn attention elsewhere... no matter how uncomfortable that may be!

Okay I'm done...
Happy shooting, the beach is a real treasure trove of photo's!

07-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for me it is simple and has not changed since I shot film

simply put,. you do not change lenses, or film/memory cards/batteries on the beach.

a closed camera is a safe camera.

if you need to change film or lenses go off the beach, and make sure you are washed and dry and sand free before opening the camera. it only takes a few grains to ruin equipment internally.

add to that salt water, and salt crystals (when the water dries) and it is not worht the risk of getting anything blown into the camera when opened on the beach,

I won't go into what happens when you drop something on the sand or water, while changing things. weather resistant is good when the camera is closed but useless when you have it opened.
07-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #9

Be extra careful about allowing sand in your camera bag. Once in, it's very difficult to remove.
Just think of all the scratches as you're walking around! *cringes*
07-12-2010, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
Coming from a non-user of UV filters, beaches are one of the places where I would consider putting a UV filter on, to protect the front elements from sand and salty air.
+1. But a CPL is a better idea for shots potentially involving water.

A plastic bag is an ideal solution for body storage, and it's free.
07-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
+1. Nearly word for word what I would have posted. But since you already said it, no need for me to post at all.
07-12-2010, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
for me it is simple and has not changed since I shot film

simply put,. you do not change lenses, or film/memory cards/batteries on the beach.

a closed camera is a safe camera.

if you need to change film or lenses go off the beach, and make sure you are washed and dry and sand free before opening the camera. it only takes a few grains to ruin equipment internally.

add to that salt water, and salt crystals (when the water dries) and it is not worht the risk of getting anything blown into the camera when opened on the beach,

I won't go into what happens when you drop something on the sand or water, while changing things. weather resistant is good when the camera is closed but useless when you have it opened.
I agree fully. The worst case is sand on your hands, while changing lenses. I often shoot at the beach and I often change lenses - UNLESS it is windy. If the weather is calm, lens changing is not dangerous, if you are careful. In windy conditions, it should be avoided... A UV filter or a so-called protection filter can be sensible, especially when shooting in windy conditions.

Try to carry your camera bag on your body. As soon as you set it down on the beach, the sand will come in and the bag looses its protectice function.

That at least is, how I use my gear.

Ben
07-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Xatenp Quote
Also is a UV filter recommended? Any good ones you can link to for the k-x?
Get CPL. You won't regret
07-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

CPL and/or UV

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Get CPL. You won't regret
Please note that some filters (and their coatings) reportedly stand up a great deal better than others to abrasion from cleaning, even without considering the abrasive nature of sand.

While it's true that these filters are cheaper than replacing lenses, that doesn't mean that you want disposable filters.

I think that Hoya has a new line of rugged filters and there's always Marumi for their rugged CPLs.

And yes, they will cause vignetting on ultra-wide lenses. A slim version, if available, may help but it's hard not to vignette at an equivalent of 15-20mm.
07-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #15

I just went to the beach with my k-x. Only have a kit lens so no lens changing was going on. I just tried to be smart, not get too close to the water. Make sure to stay away from anyone that looks like they could stupidly kick up sand or water.

One other thing lol, don't hand someone your lens cap. I handed it to my sister, and she dropped it in the sand. She was like oh it'll be fine. I dusted it off as much as possible and it looked fine, only to find a day or two later a few sand granules in the lil grooves of the threads of the lens. Nothing on the glass though. (i know i really need to get a uv filter).