Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #16

Okay, maybe I'm treating my KX like a baby, but when I recently went to the beach I brought my wife's Fuji waterproof camera instead. It can actually go in the water and sand is not a problem. I know, I know, you want to bring the KX, but for me, personally, I just wouldn't do it. Too much risk and not worth it for me.

-- Chris

07-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I second the idea of a CPL and in addition to packing the swiming suit, prepare the camera as well.
1. Select the lens you want to bring (A super zoom is ideal 18-250mm as an example). it will be plenty of light, so a fast very expensive lens is not needed.
2. A CPL will be nice. it helps you to protect the lens while capturing nice water shoots.
3. Make sure the Memory Card has plenty of room, so you do not need to change it (8 MB or higher is recomended).
4. Charge the battery as well, so again you do not need to change batteries in the middle trip.
5. Pack 2 Ziploc bags, put the camera in one and leave the other one just in case of an emergency of the first one get dirty or something else happen.

Enjoy and have fun.
07-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
a cpl filter shines in beach photos. also protects front element against sand / mist.
07-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Stop worrying about condoms and just use the bloody thing! It's made for taking pics, not for wiping the dust of it!!! damn.... By the time you'll get to the shooting part at this rate the camera will be too old and won't have any resale value anyways no matter if it's full of sand or not....

07-14-2010, 02:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Stop worrying about condoms and just use the bloody thing!
I like the Outex condom as it is in my price range at a couple of hundred. It also seems to me, as I would be at the beach, I would probably want to try some shots in the water anyway.

Thank you
Russell
07-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
"Keeping DSLR safe at the beach"

I guess leaving it at home is not an option.
07-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryosphinx Quote
Be extra careful about allowing sand in your camera bag. Once in, it's very difficult to remove.
Just think of all the scratches as you're walking around! *cringes*
+1

Last weekend I brought my brand new iphone4 to the beach, put it carefully in my beach bag (on the sand).

when i got home, even though i had been extremely careful, i found a pretty deep scratch across the front glass of the iphone.

sand is nazty. i would not let ANYTHING touch the front of your lens especially. i'd also be incredibly careful about letting anything touch the lcd screen/s.

07-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #23

If I was really worried about changing lenses, I'd bring my faithful old film changing bag with me: put the camera and lenses in the bag, slip on the sleeves, and do all of the changing (and fumbling) in the bag. It's not only weather proof, but light proof! :-)
07-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Xatenp Quote
Hey guys,

I have been searching here and google for tips on taking a DSLR to the beach.

My question is, what precautions to take? I will be going to the Bahamas and want to protect my new K-x. I will not get too close to the water, but am worried about sand being kicked around and flying around.

Also is a UV filter recommended? Any good ones you can link to for the k-x?

Thanks!
My main concern would be keeping the body away from the harsh sun for a long time, especially when lens hearts up barrel oil tend to leak surface on the diaphragm blades, lens killer. No need to mention body jammes up with severe heat. Sometimes I use my own shadow to protect body from the sun, I am not kidding.

UV filter? Definitely, not only the sand, also a protector of famous beach UV lights. I would use a Tiffen Haze-1, "5 stop" UV protector.

Other things you already know of, like don't drop the camera from the boat....

Have fun.
07-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #25

Best precaution, buy a pentax. They offer weather sealed bodies and lenses in classes that competitors can't compete with.

07-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Baggie and a Quantaray filter...

07-23-2010, 04:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

My K10 is sealed, and I don't change lenses on the beach. So being around sand, has not concerned me.
Though I'm always amazed, all the places it has managed to creep in