Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Focus distance EXIF

Hi Folks:

Anyone knows if Is it posible to extract the focus distance via EXIF data in Pentax cameras? Thanks.

Bye,

07-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes it is- there's an EXIF field called Focus Range, and it can contain generalized values such as 'Distant' or 'Macro'.

For example: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/kxblaze-albums-new-picture6676-imgp0812.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can try Photome. So far I can see Pentax only puts a description in the focus distance field - Distant or Macro.

Some Canon and Nikon models e.g. Canon 7D put the actual focus distance reading in that field. I suppose its a translation of the lens focal length & AF readings into actual object distance
07-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
You can try Photome. So far I can see Pentax only puts a description in the focus distance field - Distant or Macro.
In Photome, the focal length is listed under Camera and Manufacturer Notes at the botom of the photo infos.

07-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you toall of you. I've installed PhotoMe and I have to say that this program give a lot of information to the user, but I coudn't find the distance from the camera to focused object. The information showed is like this depending of focus distance

Distance Code Data

Range: 12; Step: 1 (Code102; Very Close)
Range: 12; Step: 2 (Code100; Close)
Range: 12; Step: 3 (Code101; Middle Range)
Range: 12; Step: 4 (Code97; Middle Range)
Range: 12; Step: 5 (Code96; Far Range)
Range: 12; Step: 6 (Code98; Very Far Range)
Range: 12; Step: 7 (Code99; Very Far/Infinite)

I'd like to know the actual distance in meters or any other unit length.

I know some cameras show this data in their EXIF files, but it seems that Pentax don't. Let see if that is a upcoming feature for future models.

Bye,
09-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a shame that we don't have these values in our exif. Both Canon and Nikon give values in meters down to 2 decimal places, though of course the actual accuracy may not be that close.

It would be great if we could see it when reviewing pictures in camera (my friend can see it in liveview with magic lantern firmware), allowing us to easily dial in hyperfocal distance when the lens doesn't have distance markers.
09-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Perhaps existing Pentax AF and focus confirmation systems just don't have any way to quantify distances. As I understand contrast AF, it just looks for the right optical signal -- if too close or to far, then hunt and adjust -- rather than knowing a numeric value. This is quite different than an ultrasonic AF kit as in the old Polaroid SX-70. Manual lenses have no way to report distance AFAIK.

Yes, an active focus-determination system that worked with manual glass would be nice. Hay, let's call it the AF'bot and combine it with a new SR'bot. Stick any lens on the camera; the SR'bot shoots a little laser zap to determine the focal length, and sets SR accordingly. Press the shutter; the AF'bot shoots a little laser zap to determine and record the exact range. More automagic wonders!

09-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
the SR'bot shoots a little laser zap to determine the focal length, and sets SR accordingly. Press the shutter; the AF'bot shoots a little laser zap to determine and record the exact range
Oh, RioRico, I can see it now.
Photographer arrested for shining laser at planes taking off and landing at small local airport.
09-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax AF lenses aren't equipped to provide exact distance like Canon EF lenses (not sure about other brands), but a rough range based on the 4 conductor distance tape inside the lens. Perhaps this is also the reason P-TTL was inaccurate. Another wild guess.
09-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
Oh, RioRico, I can see it now.
Photographer arrested for shining laser at planes taking off and landing at small local airport.
My ancient (2004) Sony DSC-V1 has what's called Hologram AF, "an AF fill light system that applies laser holograms to enable you to still shoot images in dark places. The Hologram AF system uses gentler radiation than conventional high-brightness LEDs or lamps, thus satisfying Laser Class 1 specifications and maintaining higher safety for human eyes." The manual says it's safe to look at close-up but may be dazzling. I've used it at airports and I'm not in jail. Yet.

It looks like the trick is, instead of a single laser beam, it emits a matrix -- I'll guess a sub-milliwatt laser is diffracted into numerous ultra-low-powered beams. Anyway, Sony had this system up for a few years, then stopped, and I don't know why. Such ranging seems like a good idea to me. Just don't hack it for high-power output to blind rude drivers.