Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #1

What can K-x do with DAL 55-300mm?... lets see

Recently I started realizing the power of K-x with DAL 55-300 kit lens. I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I did taking them. C&C please.

07-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice images!! It would have been useful if you provided focal length, aperture and speed. I should go out and take my own 55-300 and shoot more images.
07-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjr Quote
Recently I started realizing the power of K-x with DAL 55-300 kit lens. I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I did taking them.
Some really nice images.

On the first image of the flying wasp/hornet - did you use AF?
If so, how please?

QuoteOriginally posted by rortiz Quote
Nice images!! It would have been useful if you provided focal length, aperture and speed. I should go out and take my own 55-300 and shoot more images.
All the images have EXIF data attached -
on a PC one can just right-click and look at the properties
or even better use PhotoMe
07-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #4
Inactive Account

nice. i specially like that puddy tat (tiger or is that a cheetah?) meow!

07-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
pjr

Original Poster
Thanks for comments

Hi UnknownVT . I used sports mode for that picture. Its pretty good at tracking subjects. I took around 20-30 pictures.. got a couple of good ones. This flying wasp is the best one.

Hi roritz, yes exif is included for all images.

Hi opiedog, yes its cheetah glad you like it. Here is another one.

07-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Forum Member

These are gorgeous photos, pjr! I would also like to see the EXIF data, but when I right-click I don't get any specifics, just that it's a JPEG, the location of the file and the size of the file. I don't get a "properties" option when I right click in Windows 7, just a "view image info" which doesn't tell me much that I can see. Perhaps I'm staring right at it and don't know it, since I'm a newb to things like EXIF data. Can someone please set me straight so I can get some great settings tips from pjr's photos here?
07-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
pjr

Original Poster
Hi Shellie.. thanks.

I think you need to save image to your desktop and right-click to see exif.

By the way all these pictures were taken with high quality jpeg(no raw too much work) and cropped/edited.

pjr

07-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to do. I've never looked at the EXIF data before. Do you reset the sharpness and contrast on each photo you take, pjr, or did the setting you used (landscape vs. action, etc.) reset those for you? (I noticed that some of these photos utilize Hard sharpness etc. and some use Normal.) I have a new 55-300mm lens, but I've only had it on my camera once. Now I'm excited to pop it on and see what it can do! Thank you for sharing!
07-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
pjr

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shellie Quote
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to do. I've never looked at the EXIF data before. Do you reset the sharpness and contrast on each photo you take, pjr, or did the setting you used (landscape vs. action, etc.) reset those for you? (I noticed that some of these photos utilize Hard sharpness etc. and some use Normal.) I have a new 55-300mm lens, but I've only had it on my camera once. Now I'm excited to pop it on and see what it can do! Thank you for sharing!

I didn't change any in camera sharpening. I just used presets. All sharpening done in editing. I used faststone image viewer. It seems to be a good program for basic editing and sharpening.
07-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you need to save image to your desktop and right-click to see exif.
Doesn't work for me, I have to open it in Silkypix before I can view the EXIF.

Nice images btw.
07-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
pjr

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Doesn't work for me, I have to open it in Silkypix before I can view the EXIF.

Nice images btw.

thanks... do you use winxp or win7? may be win7 only has that exif feature.
07-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #12
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm on the bandwagon with the K-x and 55-300 as a killer combination. I've had a lot of success with it. By being able to use a higher ISO I can either stop down for more sharpness or go with a higher shutter speed for shake reduction or both depending on the situation and not have a noisy blurry image.

BTW: I think that is a jaguar, not a cheetah. Cheetahs are thinner and have 'tears' under their eyes.
07-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I didn't change any in camera sharpening. I just used presets. All sharpening done in editing. I used faststone image viewer. It seems to be a good program for basic editing and sharpening.
You used FastStone as an editor?

According to PhotoMe on your photos - it says Picasa 3.0 - do you use that just as your Photo organizer?

thanks... do you use winxp or win7? may be win7 only has that exif feature.
I am on XP sp2 and I can right-click on the images in your post and see the relevant parts of the EXIF.
----------------------
EDIT to ADD

Just realized I am on FireFox 3.5.10 and have an Add-On called FxIF 0.4.1 installed that allows me to see the EXIF information in the properties on a right-click.

I tried a right-click on IE7 and that does not work.
-----------------------

Using PhotoMe (an option on my right-click - even on the images in your post) shows me "everything".

Last edited by UnknownVT; 07-13-2010 at 08:52 AM.
07-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
pjr

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I'm on the bandwagon with the K-x and 55-300 as a killer combination. I've had a lot of success with it. By being able to use a higher ISO I can either stop down for more sharpness or go with a higher shutter speed for shake reduction or both depending on the situation and not have a noisy blurry image.

BTW: I think that is a jaguar, not a cheetah. Cheetahs are thinner and have 'tears' under their eyes.

Thanks for the correction . I like your signature line. Thats exactly what happened when I was taking these pictures.
07-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
pjr

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
You used FastStone as an editor?

According to PhotoMe on your photos - it says Picasa 3.0 - do you use that just as your Photo organizer?

I am on XP sp2 and I can right-click on the images in your post and see the relevant parts of the EXIF.

Using PhotoMe (an option on my right-click - even on the images in your post) shows me "everything".

Yes used Faststone to crop/enhance/sharpen the image. It seems to have a good engine to pop the colors, picasa is not that great. Used Picasa to make them smaller for web and add simple watermark.