Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2007, 05:05 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K10 soft JPEGS

Always judge with your own eyes rather than reviews. But I thought I'd link to this one as it flies in the face of most other K10D reviews out there;

"The K10D goes further still. On the lens flange on the left of the body, there's a RAW button. You press this to take the next shot in RAW mode - perfect for those who normally shoot JPEGs but want to be able to fire off the occasional RAW file without having to trudge through the menus to switch formats. Not that there's much wrong with the K10D's JPEGs. The RAW files are possibly a fraction sharper, but there's nothing like the difference you get with the Canon EOS 400D, whose JPEGs are soft to the point of mushiness."

Pentax K10D - Review - Tech.co.uk

So how come the K10D gets such a bad rap for soft JPEGs while I haven't heard anything about the Canon?

08-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the dpreview review. phil likes canon.
08-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonMW Quote
(snip) So how come the K10D gets such a bad rap for soft JPEGs while I haven't heard anything about the Canon?

I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that many of those other reviewers are Canon users with a built-in bias which makes them want to see the Canon images as sharper than the K10D's. Some, however, have been very fair to the K10D. For example, Jeff Keller over at the the Digital Camera Resource Page uses a Canon EOS-20D, yet still rates the K10D very highly.

DCRP Review: Pentax K10D

Regardless, while the K10D's unadjusted JPEG files are slightly soft, I like the overall results. When printed, images look very similar to those produced using some of the finer 35mm films. And on those occasions when I want something sharper, tweaking the camera's sharpness and contrast settings gets the job done very nicely (or just shoot RAW).

stewart
08-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonMW Quote
Always judge with your own eyes rather than reviews. But I thought I'd link to this one as it flies in the face of most other K10D reviews out there;

"The K10D goes further still. On the lens flange on the left of the body, there's a RAW button. You press this to take the next shot in RAW mode - perfect for those who normally shoot JPEGs but want to be able to fire off the occasional RAW file without having to trudge through the menus to switch formats. Not that there's much wrong with the K10D's JPEGs. The RAW files are possibly a fraction sharper, but there's nothing like the difference you get with the Canon EOS 400D, whose JPEGs are soft to the point of mushiness."

Pentax K10D - Review - Tech.co.uk

So how come the K10D gets such a bad rap for soft JPEGs while I haven't heard anything about the Canon?
IIt's called marketing. Canon spends a lot of money to promote their products. Those advertising dollars have a way of influencing opinions of not only consumers but also reviewers.

As a test I downloaded the test JEPGs from DP Review for the Canon D5 and K10D, and sharpen them the exact same amount in Photoshop CS3. I printed them in Lightroom 1.1 on a Epson 2400 printer (13X19) you could not tell the difference in sharpness. The print from the K10D was a little more saturated than the Canon D5 print.

Some individuals disagrees with me saying that you cannot evaluate the sharpness of an image by a print. They says the only way to evaluate the sharpness is on a calabrated monitor. How they can tell how sharp an file is on a 72dpi monitor is beyond me.