Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,064
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I feel the legacy of the K-7 as a commercial success is similar to that of the K20D, in that it wasn't really embraced by the user base to the degree it probably deserved, and probably won't be until it is replaced. .
What gave you that idea? As far as I know the K-7 has been very successful and has met Hoyas goals. It has outsold both its predecessors and won tests the globe over.....
The camera is succesfull that I'm confident we will see it with the next generation sensors as well.

07-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto (for now)
Posts: 1,749
I went K100D > 20D >K7.

The K7 atleast looks and feels like a Pentax, TBH the buttons on the 20D were perfect (apologies Pentax, i was leading the chorus for a direct ISO button ... my mistake) and fell to the hand easier but it always felt like and looked like a Canon.

The K7 just needs to lose a few buttons, particularly the green button being where it is. It does feel MUCh better balanced though, especially when carrying in one hand, the 20D would tipple to the left as it was wider.

I like quite small bags so the K7 is much easier to tote and less intimidating to the public.

Still the same unreliable AF though, i have NFO what it will focus on.
07-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I hear whispers, not just here, that the new models are right around the corner.

So, perhaps it is time now to start thinking about K-7's legacy, so to speak. This camera had more pre-release hype than any cameras that I can remember in recent memory. In the minds of forum members here, did K-7 live up to the hype? Were you disappointed??


Then, there is that question about what "success" means in this context. Commercially? Technologically? Not sure about this one.


For me, it was a huge success. I almost consider it legendary. Despite some apparent and suggested short comings in noise handling department, I love the sensor. So much more film like. I think of K-7 as the connoisseur's camera. To me this is a camera that I want to hang on to for rest of my life. For my needs, the camera was very complete.

So, how was is it for you guys?
Did it live up to its hype? - In short, YES! The camera is astonishing when price/bang for the buck and size are considered. Nothing even comes close. I am not one to shoot high ISO, and i shoot MF most of the time so the two biggest complaints against the camera are meaningless to me Therefore, its near perfect on my end!

I recently held the Canon 7d, and was disgusted by its ergonomics. The thing is HUGE, bulky, and clunky to work with. Also the build just doesn't feel half as good as the K-7. IMO of course.
07-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,411
The K-7 is an incredible camera all-around, though the sensor could be better.

I'm quite pleased with mine.

07-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
What gave you that idea? As far as I know the K-7 has been very successful and has met Hoyas goals. It has outsold both its predecessors and won tests the globe over.....
The camera is succesfull that I'm confident we will see it with the next generation sensors as well.
I wasn't talking about the commercial success here, as much as the sense I get that a camera is valued and promoted by its own user base. I agree with you that the K-7 has been more successful commercially than the K20D was. However, I do think that both cameras shared the fate of having some of their flaws magnified to an unfair degree just because they were the Pentax flagship camera at that time.
07-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,761
Perhaps the biggest killer to the price of the K-7 was the K-x. The K-x is, IMHO, the biggest SLR bargain of this century. At the time I bought my K-x, the K-7 was more than twice the price. Yes, the K-7 is aiming in a different direction, but I know that in my case, the bargain of the K-x was just too tempting, and it was hard to justify buying both the K-7 and the K-x.
07-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #22
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leeds
Posts: 7
Agreed on the k-x. It is a killer little camera.... Absolutely love mine and am using for as my primary body for paid work every week.

I had a play with the a Canon 7d recently and it felt so big, so lumpen, so many things getting in the way of me taking photos. No lust whatsoever.... The k-x feels nimble and simple in a great way in comparison and I KNOW that the image quality is going to slay the 7d as well.

If Pentax had an affordable 50mm they would be slaying the starter market for young people wanting to do social and gig photography I reckon.... And everyone else.
07-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto (for now)
Posts: 1,749
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Perhaps the biggest killer to the price of the K-7 was the K-x. The K-x is, IMHO, the biggest SLR bargain of this century. At the time I bought my K-x, the K-7 was more than twice the price. Yes, the K-7 is aiming in a different direction, but I know that in my case, the bargain of the K-x was just too tempting, and it was hard to justify buying both the K-7 and the K-x.
I disagree totally, they are two completely different cameras. The customisation alone means the K7 feels like my camera, I am not inhibited by the lack of control just one dial (apart from everythign else) does to me.

07-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: WV
Posts: 1,484
I consider the k-7 to be a success, if not for Hoya, then certainly for me.

Regarding the price drop, I don't follow camera sales reports at all, (I'm too busy enjoying the fruits of my labor) but I see two possibilities, at least:

1. Demand is weaker than desired.

2. Sales have been strong enough to cover one-time fixed expenses, and Hoya is able to make the targeted profit numbers at a reduced sales price.

But I have no idea which scenario is more likely.
07-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member
alexeyga's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 838
K7 was in fact what K20 should've been... In that case it would have been a huge success and perhaps a turning point for Pentax... but as such, it's just good and solid body... that was released about 2 years too late....
07-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #26
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,064
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Still the same unreliable AF though, i have NFO what it will focus on.
We figured out that it was user error in your case....
07-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #27
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,761
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I disagree totally, they are two completely different cameras. The customisation alone means the K7 feels like my camera, I am not inhibited by the lack of control just one dial (apart from everythign else) does to me.
With what, exactly are you disagreeing? I said straight out that the K-7 is a different camera, so are you disagreeing totally with that? Do you disagree that the K-x is a bargain? (Mine effectively cost less than $400 when you count the lenses in the deal) Are you disagreeing that if most of us buy one camera, it makes us less likely to buy another in the same time frame?

I ask this because, other than the phrase "I disagree totally," I agree with everything in your post.
07-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #28
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,761
QuoteOriginally posted by edhombre Quote
Agreed on the k-x. It is a killer little camera.... Absolutely love mine and am using for as my primary body for paid work every week.

I had a play with the a Canon 7d recently and it felt so big, so lumpen, so many things getting in the way of me taking photos. No lust whatsoever.... The k-x feels nimble and simple in a great way in comparison and I KNOW that the image quality is going to slay the 7d as well.

If Pentax had an affordable 50mm they would be slaying the starter market for young people wanting to do social and gig photography I reckon.... And everyone else.
It is a curse, perhaps, that Pentax released two killer cameras at the same time.
07-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,052
K-7 is like the glove that fits perfect, I start smiling every time I pick it up.
07-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,052
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
We figured out that it was user error in your case....
It must be, because mine focuses fast and accurate unless trying to shoot something ridiculous.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, hype, k-7, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tripod Purchase: success! ajuett Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 03-15-2010 08:29 PM
Success with the SMC 1000mm f/8 rfortson Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 01-22-2010 10:00 PM
K-M looks like a great success laissezfaire Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 03-11-2009 09:27 PM
Some success finally... SCGushue Post Your Photos! 17 07-10-2007 08:06 PM
a bit of macro success... sashae Post Your Photos! 3 03-29-2007 03:54 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top