Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Taking lens options out of the equation, I bought into Pentax with the K10D. A revolutionary camera, offering advanced features at a lower price than direct competition. K-7 seems to be continuing that trend for Pentax. It beats the D300S and 7D in some areas, loses in some areas. But for me it's very competitive, and here at least, at about 2/3 the price.

With it's small size, quiet shutter, great ergonomics and fast responsiveness, I think the K-7 also probably the best street photography DSLR body produced by anyone to date, which makes it a success for me anyway.

07-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I went K100D > 20D >K7.
Same here except my K100D was a Super. I am absolutely thrilled with my K7 and intend to keep it until it dies. It's just a great instrument, not a plastic toy like any other DSLR under $1000.
07-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too went from a K100 to the K20 a bit over a year ago. I caught it at $650 right when the K7 was announced (could not pass up the price and the extended warranty was icing on the cake), and have enjoyed the last year shooting very much. The K7 is a very nice camera, however my decision was either the K20 then or wait until now with the K7, and I choose the bird in the hand. My skill level did improve pretty quickly with the additional control - so for that it was well worth it. The additional new features on the K7, obviously I would like to have, but my K20 is wonderful, so I will be skipping it, mainly because the K20 and K7 are relatively close in capability - and quite frankly, I can not afford to hit every generation. I am still not using the K20's capabilities to its fullest extent.

All of that said, Yes - the K7 is a success in my estimation. There is little wrong with it. If for some reason the new camera body does not support something very important to me - screw drive or in body stabilization - I will pick up a new K7 in a heart beat - in order to preserve my screw drive lenses - as I can not afford to walk away from my Pentax lens investment and to start over again. This way I figure I am good for quite a few years, at least until I keel over...

I was able to actually hold a K7 about 6 months ago at Fry's Electronics. It did feel wonderful, the size was perfect along with the weight. Pentax does need to keep this form factor, WR - rugged body - and build on this excellent form factor and base capabilities. Expanding the capability set will really leverage the K7's legacy.

07-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
If for some reason the new camera body does not support something very important to me - screw drive or in body stabilization - I will pick up a new K7 in a heart beat :
Can almost say 100% this would not be an issue. No Pentax lenses are stabilised, and all the limiteds for a start, are screw drive.

07-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #35
Veteran Member

The K-7 was and is my first ever Pentax Camera.

I would not have switched if it didn't feel right. I love this damn thing. Its the first camera I have started taking EVERYWHERE with me. My friends think I am semi crazy for taking it all over. Part of that is the size... my 50D was just way too big even with the 50 1.8 on it. I almost refused to take it places.

As far as success? They converted me... so, I think they did their job. I am going to wedge in that the primes and this community played a part in the switch... but thats what you get when you come here.
07-14-2010, 02:34 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I like a lot of things about the K-7, shutter noise, the second AF sensor for tungsten, the suggested quicker AF, the AA option in the battery grip, ..., but I dislike the body. The grip on the camera especially. The K-7 and probably its successor have all the right things, just in the wrong body. I quote Bill that Cat, "Thtbbft!!!"

Thank you
Russell
07-14-2010, 04:23 AM   #37
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
...I dislike the body. The grip on the camera especially.

I love everything about the body and the grip. Fits me like a glove.

07-14-2010, 05:19 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I love everything about the body and the grip. Fits me like a glove.
Same here.
07-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #39
Inactive Account

I love the K-7.

c[_]
07-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #40
Inactive Account

same here guys...just love my k-7
07-14-2010, 06:08 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I too went from a K100 to the K20 a bit over a year ago. I caught it at $650 right when the K7 was announced (could not pass up the price and the extended warranty was icing on the cake), and have enjoyed the last year shooting very much. The K7 is a very nice camera, however my decision was either the K20 then or wait until now with the K7, and I choose the bird in the hand. My skill level did improve pretty quickly with the additional control - so for that it was well worth it. The additional new features on the K7, obviously I would like to have, but my K20 is wonderful, so I will be skipping it, mainly because the K20 and K7 are relatively close in capability - and quite frankly, I can not afford to hit every generation. I am still not using the K20's capabilities to its fullest extent.

All of that said, Yes - the K7 is a success in my estimation. There is little wrong with it. If for some reason the new camera body does not support something very important to me - screw drive or in body stabilization - I will pick up a new K7 in a heart beat - in order to preserve my screw drive lenses - as I can not afford to walk away from my Pentax lens investment and to start over again. This way I figure I am good for quite a few years, at least until I keel over...

I was able to actually hold a K7 about 6 months ago at Fry's Electronics. It did feel wonderful, the size was perfect along with the weight. Pentax does need to keep this form factor, WR - rugged body - and build on this excellent form factor and base capabilities. Expanding the capability set will really leverage the K7's legacy.

I would agree with everything there. I don't know if the K-7 is or is not a financial success, but it is a nice camera. If it is not as big a financial success as would be hoped, it is only because many of us cannot justify buying every fine camera Pentax produces, especially at the relase price.
07-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #42
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I like a lot of things about the K-7, shutter noise, the second AF sensor for tungsten, the suggested quicker AF, the AA option in the battery grip, ..., but I dislike the body. The grip on the camera especially. The K-7 and probably its successor have all the right things, just in the wrong body. I quote Bill that Cat, "Thtbbft!!!"

Thank you
Russell

Hi, Russell

Interesting comment about the grip.

I was more or less neutral in regards to the grip until very recently. Few weeks ago, I got myself a wrist strap that I put on on the right side of the camera. I didn't notice until recently that you can literally dangle the camera off your middle and ring finger as you carry it. This way your index finger is always near the shutter button, ready for action any minute. Because your hand is through the wrist strap, it is unlikely that you will drop it. But, I think that without a wrist strap, the camera hangs off your middle and ring finger so well balanced that you may not even need a strap (now that is a bit scary I know). The balance that I am talking about you can maintain with a bigger and heavier lens such as DA* 50-135.

The point I am trying to make is that I think Pentax has really paid close attention to ergonomics, and I love that. Granted, it will be impossible to make a camera that fits perfect in the hands of everybody, but I can sense the effort, and the grip is not the only aspect of the camera that received thorough consideration.

I am glad to see many happy K-7 users posting comments. But my personal feeling is that K-7 is very underrated, even amongst Pentax users. I hope that Pentax are not disappointed with how the consumers reacted to it . . . . .
07-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #43
Forum Member

I have not bought a K-7, very happy with the K20D (despite the fact I also have a D3 as well) because in most department it excels...

What pleases me when reading the responses that although the K10D is 2-3 generations old now, a lot of people still consider it a very relevant camera.

Pentax seem to get the balance between revolution and evolution spot-on, the cameras get better and better. Canon only really sold bundles of EOS xxD models in huge numbers because the used seemed to get swallowed up by higher megapixel counts - purists would argue Canon got lazy after the 10D and 300D, and the only remarkable release in the APS-C range since 2003 is the 7D....
07-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I didn't notice until recently that you can literally dangle the camera off your middle and ring finger as you carry it.
That edge is what I don't like. My hand wraps around the K10/20D with my finger tips landing right at the curve where the grip transitions into the body. The K-7's fit is loose in my hand. Either I'm holding that edge with my finger tips, or I'm curling the last knuckles to get more of the underside of my fingers on the grip. Either way seems alien. The K-7's feel in the hand reminds me of the Nikons and Canons I try every once in a while at Target, the low end bodies. I don't know the models, but the 550 looks like it would be one of them.

Maybe you can kind of see the resemblance in DPR's photos, Canon 550 on the left, K-7 on the right, to understand what I mean?

Compare the above to the wider grip of the K10/20D.

I kind of miss the left hand front edge on the K10/20D as well when chimping and general menu diving.

I guess if other people are happy with it, then I'm in a minority of one. I just thought I would thrown in my opinion as I do hope the next, next body will revert back to the older style.

Thank you
Russell
07-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by welshwizard645 Quote
...What pleases me when reading the responses that although the K10D is 2-3 generations old now, a lot of people still consider it a very relevant camera...
As far as I am concerned, the K100D remains a relevant camera.