Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
As far as I am concerned, the K100D remains a relevant camera.
Agreed. I usually shoot raw, but, among many other nice things about the K100d, I still like its bright, snappy, small jpegs better than those from my other bodies for any time I need to use a quick shot without pp.

07-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I kind of miss the left hand front edge on the K10/20D as well when chimping and general menu diving.

I guess if other people are happy with it, then I'm in a minority of one. I just thought I would thrown in my opinion as I do hope the next, next body will revert back to the older style.
I'm in the same boat, I find the K-7 a little small for my hands, however, I've decided to overlook the size/ergonomics as I'm really enjoying it for taking pictures.

I find that I can't wrap the fingers of my left hand around the bottom of the lens the way I could with the K10D/K20D as they squish/touch my right hand fingers, mainly pinky and ring finger.

But there are many more features I like than dislike. One I love is the LCD screen automatically rotates the image when in review or looking at settings/menu options, for either landscape or vertical alignment. That's a really minor yet great innovation. As well the other features more than make up for the size for me.
07-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
But there are many more features I like than dislike. One I love is the LCD screen automatically rotates the image when in review or looking at settings/menu options, for either landscape or vertical alignment. That's a really minor yet great innovation. As well the other features more than make up for the size for me.
I'd just like to add that this was automatic rotation feature was not original to the K-7. It was present at least as far back as the K200D, perhaps earlier, but I don't know because that is my first SLR.
07-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I'd just like to add that this was automatic rotation feature was not original to the K-7. It was present at least as far back as the K200D, perhaps earlier, but I don't know because that is my first SLR.
Didn't know that. From the K10D to the K20D, to my K-7 - on the K-7 is the first time I've seen it.

07-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
No, the K200d does not do what he is describing.
07-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Yeatzee,

Mine k200 did that auto rotation thingy, probably u can change that in settings.

Lee
07-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #52
Veteran Member

He is referring, unless im clearly mistaken, how if you take a vertical picture and click the playback button to review it you can turn the camera vertical and the picture will fill the whole LCD. The settings when using the status screen also flip when you turn the camera.

The K200d does nothing close to this.

07-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
That edge is what I don't like. My hand wraps around the K10/20D with my finger tips landing right at the curve where the grip transitions into the body. The K-7's fit is loose in my hand. Either I'm holding that edge with my finger tips, or I'm curling the last knuckles to get more of the underside of my fingers on the grip. Either way seems alien. The K-7's feel in the hand reminds me of the Nikons and Canons I try every once in a while at Target, the low end bodies. I don't know the models, but the 550 looks like it would be one of them.

Maybe you can kind of see the resemblance in DPR's photos, Canon 550 on the left, K-7 on the right, to understand what I mean?

Compare the above to the wider grip of the K10/20D.

I kind of miss the left hand front edge on the K10/20D as well when chimping and general menu diving.

I guess if other people are happy with it, then I'm in a minority of one. I just thought I would thrown in my opinion as I do hope the next, next body will revert back to the older style.

Thank you
Russell
Hi Russell, I do see your point. However I'm on the opposite side, I find the camera very easy to carry and move quickly. I use a hand strap, and it sits in my hand all day nicer than the (good) K10D. Like Nubi I find you can carry it casually and easilly but with good control. Each to their own I guess, but I hope Pentax keeps this kind of design.
07-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Every camera involves compromises of some sort. In the case of the K-7, its high ISO performance and AF may be slightly below the competition, but only slightly. On the other hand, its compact size, light weight, sweet ergonomics and build quality are class-leading, and its in-body SR sets it above Nikon and Canon. And all of this comes at a price considerably below comparable cameras from other manufacturers. As I understand it, the K-7 has sold reasonably well and has earned the respect of knowledgeable people within the photography industry. Overall, then, it must be regarded as a success.

Rob
07-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2:
As I understand it, the K-7 has sold reasonably well and has earned the respect of knowledgeable people within the photography industry.
Well one interesting thing is where Pentax has come in my city. Going from one over-priced K20D in the whole of the city that I could find, there are now K-7's int he major shops, and a small selection of Pentax lenses. In the two major photography shops, there's at least one staff member in each who has switched to Pentax for the K-7 as well.
07-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in the same boat, I find the K-7 a little small for my hands, however, I've decided to overlook the size/ergonomics as I'm really enjoying it for taking pictures.

I find that I can't wrap the fingers of my left hand around the bottom of the lens the way I could with the K10D/K20D as they squish/touch my right hand fingers, mainly pinky and ring finger.

"One I love is the LCD screen automatically rotates the image when in review or looking at settings/menu options"
It`s really cool upside down.
07-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #57
Inactive Account

Put a battery grip on it and it will no longer be small
07-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #58
Nubi

20 years from now . . . .

I wonder how K-7 will be looked up on, in comparison to models before and after. A game changer like K10D certainly was?? Is K-7 more significant than K10 from the historical perspective??

I am not sure.
07-16-2010, 04:19 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I wonder how K-7 will be looked up on, in comparison to models before and after. A game changer like K10D certainly was?? Is K-7 more significant than K10 from the historical perspective??

I am not sure.
20 years from now, none of the SLRs currently in production will be remembered at all. This is one way in which digital is different from the film days when a great camera could be produced --- almost without change -- for ten or more years. The film changed, but the camera remained the same. Now, cameras change so fast that even a "game changer" is hardly remembered five years later.

Last edited by Rondec; 07-16-2010 at 07:17 AM.
07-16-2010, 05:32 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
20 years from now, none of the SLRs currently in production will be remembered at all. This is one way in which digital is different from the film days what a great camera could be produced --- almost without change -- for ten or more years. The film changed, but the camera remained the same. Now, cameras change so fast that even a "game changer" is hardly remembered five years later.
True. Partly that is the case because even 50+ years ago, film was a mature technology.