Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Whatever warranty Pentax or the Retailer committed in writing when you bought the camera still stands, and its legally binding.

Terms for new purchases are a different matter.
Usually you need to pay "something" for extended warranty.
Companies are free to offer No Charge extended warranty any time as a form of incentive, and they are free to stop offering it.....that's simply the business world out there....

07-14-2010, 06:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lwsy711 Quote
The guy was saying the 2 year warranty card now costs $99 + tax and shipping.......
That's how much it used to be.

A friend had a Canon Ti1 die (wouldn't focus any more). Canon repaired it for $364...

Still think it's insane?
07-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #18

I was posting about this in a similar thread in the News forum. I emailed them earlier, and they just emailed me back that my free K-7 extended warranty is in the mail. Note I bought the camera on June 28th, so the free offer may have been only through June 2010.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/97291-k-7-pentax-exten...ml#post1107076
07-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #19

Original Poster
Called them again to make sure it has ended. They said actually it ended several weeks ago (Maybe end of June).

So the $19.99 warranty card seems the good thing to have. Just ordered one.

07-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
That's how much it used to be.

A friend had a Canon Ti1 die (wouldn't focus any more). Canon repaired it for $364...

Still think it's insane?
That's really a lot to repair a camera. Now I feel relief with the warranty card in hand.

But still think $99.99 is insane comparing to $0.00, sorry I am a bargain hunter
07-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got my 2 yr card in the mail after sending the email on July 12th. They emailed me back and asked for mailing address. I sent it back to them, and I now have the card in hand. The 19.95 is for shipping they say. But to me that still great. I got the camera May 8th.
07-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I think it must indeed be discontinued because I emailed them and asked for it as per the instructions posted here by someone and after several weeks, I have yet to hear anything. They could at least email me back to say that it has been discontinued.
Well, I spoke too soon. I just received my warranty card today. I emailed them on 6/28 and it was for a camera bought on 9/9/09. I would imagine that I just got in under the wire. Or a couple of wires, even. Thanks, Pentax!
07-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #23

The extended warranty did end. I got an email yesterday saying that it was a limited time offer and has ended. I have the option to purchase one for 99$. Must be because of their success in k-x and k-7.

07-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Oh well, thats a shame

Leave it to Pentax to not mention publically the termination of the included extended warranty

As K-7 buyers have to contact pentax usa to put your 3 year warranty inplace I'd guess you got your answer

This is one less reason for me to buy discounted K-7

Infact I can see skipping K-7 entirely at any price point now

Thanks for sharing this valuable info
The two-year extended warranty can be purchased from Adorama for $20:

80250 Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for K7 Digital SLR Camera (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional)

If $20 ends your world, you obviously aren't able to afford a $900 camera.
07-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
The two-year extended warranty can be purchased from Adorama for $20:

80250 Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for K7 Digital SLR Camera (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional)

If $20 ends your world, you obviously aren't able to afford a $900 camera.
Can you purchase this after the fact? Or is this only good when you purchase the camera?

I bought my K-7 on 5/1 and forgot all about emailing in for the Warranty. I just sent a very polite email to Pentax explaining one of their reps I spoke with in May told me about the extension and how to get it, and I did not have access to a scanner, and now that I have one I was officially requesting the warranty. (none of which is a lie as I just picked up a new all-in-one this weekend...and I did speak with a rep in may because I was concerned when I got my camera that there was no warranty card in the box).

We'll see what happens...if they shoot me down it's my own fault for waiting....but if I can I'll grab the one from Adorama for $20 if it's still valid to buy this far after the camera purchase. Anyone have definite knowledge on this?
07-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgmankos Quote

We'll see what happens...if they shoot me down it's my own fault for waiting....but if I can I'll grab the one from Adorama for $20 if it's still valid to buy this far after the camera purchase. Anyone have definite knowledge on this?
Well, you should give them a call, but I was told when I bought my k7 from Adorama that I could purchase it within thirty days.
08-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #27

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Credit Card Warranty

Some may not know this, but most credit cards that I have had will automatically extend your warranty for another year (for a total of 2 yrs). Check the benefits section online for your credit card to verify, or call them to confirm.
Has anyone had experience with Adorama's extended warranty? I can tell you my experience with Willoughby's (aka PhotoAmerica Warranty) so far has been awful. I got a 5 yr warranty on my K10d. The mirror would not come up when the shuttter was pressed, so I sent it in to them (have had it for about 3.5 yrs). First, you also have to include a check for 25.00 for return shipping. So already, it has cost me close to 50 bucks, in addition to the warranty price. I call them to verify they received (I knew they did, I got tracking), and they told me it would be about 10 days to repair. I call them after 2 weeks for a status, they tell me it will actually be a total of 3 weeks. I call them after 3 weeks and the girl I spoke with, essentially said that they haven't even looked at my camera. Having a trip to the Tetons a week away, I am pretty upset. You are essentially at their mercy though. Not to mention, each time i have called they said they would call me back with the status in less than an hr, never did I get a call back, I always had to call them back.
So just beware of non-Pentax serviced warranties, and if you get this one from Adorama, make sure you 'talk' with some people that have actually had to use it.
I am thinking of picking up a k-7 anyway, and since I dont have faith that Willoughby's will get my k10d back to me anytime soon, it kind of re-affirms this.

EDIT: I HAVE CONFIRMED WITH PENTAX DIRECTLY THAT THE ADDITIONAL WARRANTY THAT ADORAMA IS SELLING IS LEGIT AND FOR SERVICING DIRECTLY THROUGH PENTAX. THAT EASES MY MIND FROM THE WILLOUGHBY'S EXPERIENCE I HAVE HAD. DEFINITELY WORTH 20 BUCKS. ALSO, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY THE CAMERA FROM ADORAMA FOR THIS TO BE VALID.

Last edited by NewTake; 08-27-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Found Additional Info
08-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I was lucky when I bought my genuine Pentax extended warranty from Willoughby's last year for all of $2.99, it was in the period when, as with this year's silent warranty thing, but suddenly there were no extended warranty info posted on the site, no cards in boxes and several emails about it went unanswered for the $3 I just took that route rather than waste another few hours trying to solve the puzzle...

but, bummer to read your other warranty is a bust. When in doubt look at Square extended warranties for those times when extended warranties make sense. Their whole process is completely revamped from a few years back when they were AWFUL as well. And you can get the warranty directly from Square trade even if sold by the store...often it can be cheaper direct from Square Trade or via Amazon...
08-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Just ordered it from Adorama as above. I did not buy the camera from them as I preferred the local shop for 5% more.

No problem - have order confirmation via email. Life is good.

Now ..... if I could get that on some SDM lenses, I'd have some SDM lenses !!
08-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Just ordered it from Adorama as above. I did not buy the camera from them as I preferred the local shop for 5% more.

No problem - have order confirmation via email. Life is good.

Now ..... if I could get that on some SDM lenses, I'd have some SDM lenses !!
for around 366 days... Actually, if I were in the market for an SDM lense right now I would add a nice long Square Trade Warranty and consider it a forgone conclusion I would use it. Having had one SDM go tits up inside 30-days I stuck to all Limiteds instead...sure miss that sexy 50-135 though!!