Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #1

free Pentax k-7 2 year extended warranty ended?

Just chat with a reps. of pentax online and he told me the free 2 year extended warranty has ended! What a pity! Can anyone else confirm this?

07-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Oh well, thats a shame !!!

Oh well, thats a shame

Leave it to Pentax to not mention publically the termination of the included extended warranty

As K-7 buyers have to contact pentax usa to put your 3 year warranty inplace I'd guess you got your answer

This is one less reason for me to buy discounted K-7

Infact I can see skipping K-7 entirely at any price point now

Thanks for sharing this valuable info
07-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
To make things more complex......

another question is, if some dealer already have the 2 years extended warranty shipped with the product, will pentax honor it? Found Abes of Maine have clearly state the 2 years extended warranty on their website.
07-13-2010, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Oh well, thats a shame

As K-7 buyers have to contact pentax usa to put your 3 year warranty inplace I'd guess you got your answer

This is one less reason for me to buy discounted K-7

Infact I can see skipping K-7 entirely at any price point now

Thanks for sharing this valuable info
With all your negativism on all things Pentax related, I don't think anyone seriously gives a hoot if you buy Pentax or not.

07-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes I care about Pentax

Yes I care about Pentax

I'm still sitting on about $6,000 in K Mount gears

Had K-7 made it to $699 or less with 3 year warranty I likely would have bought it.

But with 3 year warranty QUIETLY VANISHED theres no way I'll wait to buy a predictably discounted by half the cost K-7.

Its valuable for me as I won't buy K-7 now and find out afterwards Pentax cancelled the warranty program with zero notice.

So I only wait for K-7 replacement, if its outstanding I'll then wait for it to shed price as usual & hold on to my remaining Pentax items.
If I'm not intrigued by"K-7 Super", then I re-coup my K-Mount moneys to spend another day, which I am completely cool with.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
With all your negativism on all things Pentax related, I don't think anyone seriously gives a hoot if you buy Pentax or not.
07-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First of all, this is a silly reason to buy or not buy a camera. If your camera makes it through the first year without problem, it is likely to make it the next three or four years without problem as well. If you drop it, it wouldn't be covered by warranty anyway. Secondly, it is reasonable for Pentax to make something available to early adopters who paid more for a product. To continue it at the end of the product cycle when they are two months away from releasing a new product is probably foolish. Finally, who cares what Samsungian is going to do anyway?

Last edited by Rondec; 07-13-2010 at 02:05 PM.
07-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Europe there is a 2 year warranty by law, so whatever Pentax comes up with, they never can squeeze themselfs out of the 2 year warranty

Maybe it is an idea to buy a Pentax on-line in a european web shop.

07-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #8

Original Poster
I can live with only 1 year warranty, so I pushed the trigger just now

The question is, there are separated 2 extended year warranty selling from Adorama for $19.99, will Pentax honor this warranty?
07-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lwsy711 Quote
I can live with only 1 year warranty, so I pushed the trigger just now

The question is, there are separated 2 extended year warranty selling from Adorama for $19.99, will Pentax honor this warranty?
If you pay with gold/platinum MC or VISA, the manufacture's warranty is doubled up to one additional year. So you actually have 2 year warranty.

If Adorama is selling the 2 year extended warranty, and if Pentax has indeed discontinued the same, go ahead and buy from Adorama. Adorama will mail you the extended warranty card. It's well worth $19.99. If Adorama can't mail you the card, you'll get your $19.99 back. If you have any problem with the extended warranty, I trust that Adorama will make it good.

The reason the extended warranty is well worth $19.99 is that it includes a one-time inspection & adjustment by Pentax service center within the warranty period.
07-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If you pay with gold/platinum MC or VISA, the manufacture's warranty is doubled up to one additional year. So you actually have 2 year warranty.

If Adorama is selling the 2 year extended warranty, and if Pentax has indeed discontinued the same, go ahead and buy from Adorama. Adorama will mail you the extended warranty card. It's well worth $19.99. If Adorama can't mail you the card, you'll get your $19.99 back. If you have any problem with the extended warranty, I trust that Adorama will make it good.

The reason the extended warranty is well worth $19.99 is that it includes a one-time inspection & adjustment by Pentax service center within the warranty period.
Thanks for the explanation, I might add it asap.
07-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #11

Is there an 2 year extended warranty available for the Kx at a similar price?
07-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The inspection and adjustment comes standard with Pentax extended warranties. When I bought my K20D last year and received for free my 2 year extended warranty it stated that during that time I could send it in for a free inspection and adjustment. Now why B@H sold those warranties when at the same time Pentax was giving them for free I don't know. If anyone has received the free warranty for the K-7 does it still say it included a free tune-up or not? If so B&H just pocketed that money; if not well Pentax has a deal with B&H now, still not bad for $20. But it's kinda funny now after it was disclosed by me a month or so ago on DRP of the free warranty, its been discontinued and now you can only get it through B&H for $20! Something does not seem right.

BTW the warranty is available from Pentax at any time up to I believe 6 months after purchase. For the K20D last year it was $99, don't know the price if anyone wants it now. That is if you did not get any additional warranty and you just bought your K-7 or K-x recently (past few months) you may want to make a call if interested. The tune-up alone is worth it. As dSLRs do fall out of spec. The owners manual even states for peak performance to send it in every year or two for an inspection and adjustment. Up to you

07-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
If anyone has received the free warranty for the K-7 does it still say it included a free tune-up or not?
My K-7 extended warranty card does say a free inspection is included.

The 2-yr extended warranty (K-7 only, no K-X) was free from Pentax. But now we heard (I don't have anyway to verify, but I believe the original poster) that it had been discontinued.
07-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think it must indeed be discontinued because I emailed them and asked for it as per the instructions posted here by someone and after several weeks, I have yet to hear anything. They could at least email me back to say that it has been discontinued.
07-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #15

Original Poster
The guy was saying the 2 year warranty card now costs $99 + tax and shipping.......

to me it is a insane price. Someone please confirm this through the online chat.