Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting discussion with a Canon owner

A few days ago I was talking to a fellow who was camped near where I was doing some photos. He was interested in my camera and was surprised to see that it was a Pentax. "Are they still in business?" he asked. I let him handle my K10D for a bit as he explained that he was a Canon 5D MII owner and that he was a pretty serious photographer, blah, blah. The K10D was mounted to my cheap Zenitar fisheye and that gave me the opportunity to share that the camera provides AF confirm, metering, and SR with legacy and crazy, no-name glass, environmental seals and so on. He really liked the Zenitar and kept saying over and over what a nice body the K10D is. Comments like "light", "well-balanced", "nice controls", "quality feel", etc., etc.. What really raised his eyebrows was when I told him that the smaller and lighter, 14 megapixel K-7 was available at under $800.

All told, it was an affirming encounter and a good opportunity to fly the flag for a brand that refuses to promote itself.

Steve

07-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

to be honest, I got in the Pentax boat only because of the K-x.

As I had an opportunity to visit USA in the fall of 2009, I was targeted to purchase a DSLR and pretty much decided on an Oly 620 because of in-body SR and good quality kit lens. The alternative would have been a Nikon D60 or D5000 but a bit disturbed by lack of AF motor in-body. At that time I was aware of Pentax, if prompted, but never considered one, mostly due to K-m and K10/20 bad reviews in high ISO situations. So, 2 days before arriving, I have read a glowing review (I think it was DP review) and I have changed my mind and started hunting a K-x

I got the last K-x in BestBuy Orlando, a white one, to my dissapointment at that time.

Well...long story short - 10 months later I have the FA Trio, a K7 AND the white K-x which now I love, a MZ-L, not mentioning a Nikon F80 (you gotta love that HUGE viewfinder!!!) and a Yashica Electro 35 GSN.

I must say that even that the nicanon camp sometimes looks good, Pentax is something else both technicaly and as fan base.
07-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I encountered Pentax when I was a kid and grew up with it being King but eventually taken over by Nikon and I started shooting Nikon when I was in College.
Canon was just playing catch-up then to Nikon with Pentax disappearing from the limelight.
I came to use Canon as my first digital with a P&S Canon S3 IS.
What drew me to the Canon S3 IS was the swivel screen 'coz I was mostly shooting the Nikon before for candid shots with the camera always at my waist level or below my head.
With the Nikon F3, I didn't even need the waist-level finder since I just needed to detach the top of the viewfinder and focus on the fresnel screen.
I really found those kind of shooting indispensable so when I looked for my fist digital, that was my number 1 priority.
When i wanted to switch to DSLR, I was still looking for that swivel screen and my option was the Oly E-3.
..not only have I researched more that I became drawn to in-body SR and all the other specs.
That (SR) drew me to Pentax and also the weather-sealing..after that I read about the legacy lenses being all compatible..and as the cliche goes..the rest is history.
Pentax has much to offer and becuase of a lack of advertising, I think most of the users here have accidentally stumbled upon Pentax and self-research did them in.
People here I guess do not just follow the pack and isn't just led by adverts either.
You have to discover Pentax to really appreciate their offerings.
07-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I may offer a contrarian view, that was the worst demonstration of flying the Pentax flag.
Reason: You neither carried the latest incarnation of Pentax superiority (K-7 or K-x) nor did you offer to show the pixie dust magic of the Limited lenses. Instead what you showed was an old discontinued camera with an old legacy lens which wasn't even a Pentax. What's the point of telling them the K-7 is $800? Don't you know that to win someone over to Pentax you got to let them touch and try one? Hmmm, you better junk that old K10D and get the current model if you want to continue with your future promotion efforts. And don't you know all things Russian can get people thinking that you're involved in a spy ring? Better swop that Zenitar with the DA 10-17mm.

07-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
If I may offer a contrarian view, that was the worst demonstration of flying the Pentax flag.
Reason: You neither carried the latest incarnation of Pentax superiority (K-7 or K-x) nor did you offer to show the pixie dust magic of the Limited lenses. Instead what you showed was an old discontinued camera with an old legacy lens which wasn't even a Pentax. What's the point of telling them the K-7 is $800? Don't you know that to win someone over to Pentax you got to let them touch and try one? Hmmm, you better junk that old K10D and get the current model if you want to continue with your future promotion efforts. And don't you know all things Russian can get people thinking that you're involved in a spy ring? Better swop that Zenitar with the DA 10-17mm.
Ha! Ha!
  • The Zenitar was made in 2007, the same year as the camera. Archaic, it may be...old, it is not.
  • I don't own a K-7 or a K-x...the K10D refuses to break and I can't justify the expense until that happens!
  • I forgot to mention that I did mount the FA 77/1.8 Limited to the camera...he was VERY impressed, particularly when I told him the going price for that lens. Even so, he kept asking about where one might buy a Zenitar in Canon mount.
  • I would get a DA 10-17 to replace the Zenitar except for the PF
  • The less said about my spying activities the better. If the state of Washington gets wind of it, they will stop my unemployment checks...

Steve
07-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would get a DA 10-17 to replace the Zenitar except for the PF
Ah, the 10-17 supplements the Zenitar, it doesn't replace it. At 16mm the 10-17 is f/4.5 max, vs the f/2.8 Zen's big hole. I just car-tripped around the southwest USA for a few weeks with 25 lenses, and though my carry bag was stuffed with a 10-17 and M28/2.8 and FA50/1.4 and MacTak 50/4 and Nikkor 85/2, my DA18-250 and the Zenitar got almost exclusive use. (I eventually swapped-out the 10-17, MacTak and Nikkor for my US$3 Vivitar 90/2.8 macro.) The Zen is good for group shots in musty enclosures. The 10-17 is good for... well-lit distortion.

QuoteQuote:
The less said about my spying activities the better. If the state of Washington gets wind of it, they will stop my unemployment checks...
Good thing I don't get unemployment, I'd have to hide my Jupiters, Industars, Tairs, Helios's, Zenits, Rubinars, etc. What, is that a commie FED-5 up on the shelf?!?!? It's time to re-start HUAC (Hunters of UnAlliance Cameras). German and Japanese and even Vietnamese optics are OK, but the Russians... and the French, we can't trust a cheesy French lens, can we?
07-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha!
  • The Zenitar was made in 2007, the same year as the camera. Archaic, it may be...old, it is not.
  • I don't own a K-7 or a K-x...the K10D refuses to break and I can't justify the expense until that happens!
  • I forgot to mention that I did mount the FA 77/1.8 Limited to the camera...he was VERY impressed, particularly when I told him the going price for that lens. Even so, he kept asking about where one might buy a Zenitar in Canon mount.
  • I would get a DA 10-17 to replace the Zenitar except for the PF
  • The less said about my spying activities the better. If the state of Washington gets wind of it, they will stop my unemployment checks...

Steve
A good drop will do the trick!
It would be a good excuse too.