Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K200D to K-x: upgrade, downgrade, or "sidegrade"?

As the title states, if I were hypothetically going to go from a K200D to a K-x, what would you consider it? Seems to me like it would be a "sidegrade" but I could be wrong.

Not that I plan on doing this any time soon, but it's still fun for me to think about. (i.e. what if my camera were destroyed today and I needed a replacement ASAP) I do like the low-light capabilities of the K-x. It is definitely much more in my price range than a K-7, plus it uses AAs which I've already sunk money into (I am pro-AA in that debate).

I think I would miss the top LCD and the focus indicators (the former more than the latter) but I've also heard that it doesn't take much time getting used to not having them.

07-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's definitely an upgrade. The rear LCD as a status display is a great replacement for the top LCD. The weather sealing is really the only thing missing between the cameras, but you gain so much more.
07-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only thing that would stop me personally is that it is a noticeably *louder* camera. Especially with manual lenses, as for some reason the mirror flips during stop-down metering (even just DOF preview). It means just checking exposure is as loud as actually shooting - and even actually shooting is louder on the K-x than the K200D. Probably a non-issue for 99% of people out there, but unfortunately a real concern if you shoot manual lenses in quiet environments a lot as I do in my concert photography.

But the extra stop or so of high ISO performance would be nice, and I wouldn't turn down the ability to shoot video. Top LCD I really doubt I'd miss. And I suspect I'd miss weather sealing more in principle than in reality - I have no sealed lenses, I basically am careful shooting in the rain already. I'd just be that much *more* careful.

My K200D shutter button has been acting flaky lately, it seems (although it's hard to catch in the act, so it *could* be my imagination). So I've been contemplating the thought of replacement too. Hopefully it won't fail outright until new models are announced and I have more choices. And I suspect it would be repairable for rather less than the cost of a K-x.
07-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Mark, do you mean that the K-x is noticeably louder? You didn't explicitly state it, but that's what I infer from what you wrote. I've never seen a K-x in use before.

I guess that moving the top LCD info to the rear wouldn't be that big of an ergonomic change. Just a different angle to hold my hands when checking info. I wonder if the constant-on of the rear LCD on the K-x result in reduced battery life compared to the K200D?

I don't think live view has any appeal to me, since focusing is much slower. As for weather sealing, I've never been in a situation to test it.

If I can make an analogy to cars, maybe going from a K200D to a K-x would be like going from a 2000 Honda Accord LX (mid trim) to a 2009 Honda Civic EX (top trim). The Accord is a mid-level model, but while the Civic is the compact, being manufactured much later means it has much more snaz to it. (Indeed, even my wife's 2002 bottom trim level Civic has at least one thing that I wish my 2000 Accord EX had)

07-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I've never seen a k200d, but I own a k100d and a k-7 and have handled a kx. I would consider the kx to be a "sidegrade" at best. I think you'll miss the top lcd. I find the rear lcd display to be annoying-the first thing I did when I got my k-7 was disable the rear panel display. A lot of people say they don't miss the red focus indicator square, but I've always found it useful. One area where you might consider it to be an upgrade, though, is if you do a lot of low-light no-flash shooting, since most everyone praises the kx for its low-light performance.
07-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-x or K200D decision needn't be an either/or. I find it useful to have both bodies. Aside from the general handiness of having two good cameras around the place, including as backup, their features complement each other.

One's weatherproof and solid, so with the addition of a WR lens you feel comfortable taking it outdoors and leaving it on a tripod for a couple hours doing a time lapse, knowing that a burst of light rain will be nothing to worry about...

The other one's light to carry and has great low-light IQ and video, so it's good to take indoors into clubs and performances. It's decent high ISO also means it works really well using telephoto lenses, for birding etc.

The K-x shutter/mirror is indeed louder than the K200D's, perhaps because the K200D's body is more solid and better sealed and therefore dampens internal noise more. But the K-x's noise isn't anything out of the ordinary for a DSLR, as anyone who has shot in a room with photographers using DSLR's of other brands can attest.

It's also easy to run both cameras together because they both support AA's, so all the chargers, batteries etc are already there for both.
07-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
Mark, do you mean that the K-x is noticeably louder? You didn't explicitly state it, but that's what I infer from what you wrote. I've never seen a K-x in use before.
Yes, that's what I was getting at in my very first sentence. Actually taking a shot is only "somewhat" louder than the K200D - probably about the same as the K100D, although I've never compared K-x and K100D back to back. But metering a manual lens is *much* louder, because the K200D only requires stopping down the aperture, whereas the K-x requires stopping down and flipping the mirror (not sure why). And I do tend to like checking my meter periodically. I'm not used to metering making much noise at all, but on the K-x, it's basically as loud as taking a shot.

QuoteQuote:
I wonder if the constant-on of the rear LCD on the K-x result in reduced battery life compared to the K200D?
I don't know, but the rear LCD doesn't *have* to be constantly on.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-13-2010 at 07:32 PM.
07-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The K-x or K200D decision needn't be an either/or. I find it useful to have both bodies. Aside from the general handiness of having two good cameras around the place, including as backup, their features complement each other.
Agreed, and for the same reasons (K20D and K-x here). Two cameras are better than one, especially when they have different strengths.

If I could only have one, I'd keep the K200D and wait to see what comes from Photokina in September.

07-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

to me it would be a downgrade, i'd miss the top lcd, focus points in veiwfinder, weathersealing, the most. Also the k200d has more dedicated buttons. But thats just my view, everyone has different needs.
07-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #10

I have both cameras and I think the k-x is more of a sidegrade..

Weather resistant body
Red focus indicators that you can move around instantly with the d-pad
Sturdier, more solid feeling. +1 with battery grip.
Much quieter shutter

Those are just preferences of mine. I use the k-x when I want to shoot ISO 3200 or HD videos (and I hardly do both). The only thing I can say the K-x has the advantage in would be the AWB. That's about it for me.

But then again.. I also have a K-7 which means I don't even use those other 2 cameras unless I feel like it.. when I do, I usually reach for the K200d first
07-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Agreed, and for the same reasons (K20D and K-x here). Two cameras are better than one, especially when they have different strengths.

If I could only have one, I'd keep the K200D and wait to see what comes from Photokina in September.
I started typing a reply, but audiobomber already said everything.
07-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
My K200D shutter button has been acting flaky lately, it seems (although it's hard to catch in the act, so it *could* be my imagination). So I've been contemplating the thought of replacement too. Hopefully it won't fail outright until new models are announced and I have more choices. And I suspect it would be repairable for rather less than the cost of a K-x.
My K200D was sometimes acting like I had pushed the shutter button half way. It would auto focus on its own, and other times it would refuse to focus, as if I had pushed the shutter release half way and locked focus. Intermittent and random operation. I upgraded the firmware to v1.03 and it seems to have fixed it. I will test further.
07-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Seems likely to be coincidence - what you describe sounds like a hardware issue, not software. But it could be something that got into the contacts and then worked itself out.

My problem is the opposite - sometimes I press the shutter fully (or so I think) and nothing happens. I'm in MF mode; I'm not talking about failure to get focus lock. Nor is my buffer full. But then I keep pressing a little harder and it fires. Just seems it sometimes takes more pressure than usual. And it helps to be centered over the button rather than press right the right side as I otherwise might tend to.
07-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My brother has a KX and I have the k200d. As far as IQ, High ISO, AF, Video, Liveview and and FPS goes, it's an upgrade. However, I like some of the things about my k200d better.

1) Weathersealing

2) AF points in view finder (not a biggie but I like it)

3) shake reduction switch on body, not in menus

4)Raw button on the outside of the camera,

5) Ergonomics. The k200d feels better in my hand.
07-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
My brother has a KX and I have the k200d. As far as IQ, High ISO, AF, Video, Liveview and and FPS goes, it's an upgrade. However, I like some of the things about my k200d better.

1) Weathersealing

2) AF points in view finder (not a biggie but I like it)

3) shake reduction switch on body, not in menus

4)Raw button on the outside of the camera,

5) Ergonomics. The k200d feels better in my hand.
Those were all things that feel like a downgrade from my K10d/K20d to the K-x as well. However, for travel and a number of other uses, the small size (which necessitated some compromises on the controls) is worth it.