Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
White Kx with 18-55 cheaper than Black body only

To those of you who have been following How Ira's World Turns, you know that I became a worthless, unemployed a-hole two weeks ago, albeit paid for a few weeks more. (I've always been a worthless a-hole, but not unemployed.) And I had to turn my Kx body in to my company this past Friday.

My wife is a Wal-Mart "career" girl, so I get 10% off on all purchases, but I have to pay tax. They have the white with 18-55 for $499, but the black body ONLY is $579.

Does this make any sense to anyone here?

All I want is a black body for now, no interest at all in the white, but at this price, can I say no? I'm ready to buy Thursday, and as it is, my wife is going to be really pissed at me. But I have enough education and experience via my LBA to handle this with little problem.

I guess what I'm asking is, if anyone has info on the cheapest black Kx body only out there now, please let me know.

--------------------------------

Edit:

B&H now has the black Kx body for $549. And the black Kx body with 18-55 for $549.

That's not a typo--same price.

Last edited by Ira; 07-13-2010 at 12:50 PM.
07-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax doesn't sell the K-x as a body only, they only sell the K-x as a kit. Maybe it costs more because they have to pay somebody to get rid of the 18-55

Central Digital has the Black body only for $470

Pentax Kx 12.4 Megapixel SLR Digital Camera (Body) (Black) New at Central Digital
07-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #3

When I got my K-x from Amazon, the body was more expensive than the kit with the 18-55mm, you are right it doesn't make any sense.

If you want black, Amazon has the black body with kit lens for $499. Free shipping and they leave it up to you to pay sales tax

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-2-7-inch-18-55mm-Black/dp/B002OEBTC8/ref=pd_cp_p_1

Last edited by bigdog104; 07-13-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added link.
07-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've noticed that paradox from the beginning. When they started throwing the DAL 55-300 into the mix, buying the K-x body alone made about as much sense as buying a new cell phone a month before your contract is up.

07-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For the sake of your finances, get the cheapest one you can get, meaning the white K-x.
It will also give you the opportunity to break out of any mental block that cameras have to be only in black.
And just think of all those chicks who come to you and go "ooh" and "aah" when they see that an old geezer is using a cute camera in a hip color. Definitely improves your people photography opportunities.
07-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
For the sake of your finances, get the cheapest one you can get, meaning the white K-x.
Yep--but let's see what the prices are TOMORROW at both B&H and WalMart, when I'll have the money to do it.
07-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the world of post-employment.

Now is the perfect time to sell those Taks and buy a Holga.

Don't forget the darkroom kit and DIY chemicals.

If photography costs too much, there's always Etch-A-Sketch.
07-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Heh - I'll trade you my black K-x for the white K-x you're sadly forced to buy! I'm one of the many who chose to 'settle' for the black body in order to get the kit lenses. Woe! Photographers - such picky gear heads we all are! I keep trying to sell my black K-x to purchase a white one, but deals keep being badly timed :P

07-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The cool kids use red.

Have you considered a used K7? The K-x have held up in price very well (I paid $420 for mine several months ago) while the K7 have dropped drastically in price. For only $150-200 more, you can have a much superior camera.
07-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

When I bought my K7 it was cheaper to go body only and add the 18-55WR separately. So the body with lens being lower, while strange... Doesn't surprise me?

I'm a bit odd.
07-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
The cool kids use red.

Have you considered a used K7? The K-x have held up in price very well (I paid $420 for mine several months ago) while the K7 have dropped drastically in price. For only $150-200 more, you can have a much superior camera.
I haven't seen any deals at all on a used K7, and I've been looking.
07-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I haven't seen any deals at all on a used K7, and I've been looking.
I'll keep on the look out for you.

A few things:

Pentax should release a new camera in September, which means the Kx and K7 will fall in price quite drastically. Consider waiting another two months if money is an issue. You can also tide yourself over with a K10D or K100 or even istD at a good price, they're unlikely to fall very much in price even after September. This way, you can sell it and lose maybe $20-30 in value. The K-x and K7 will definitely fall much more than that come September and it would be wiser to purchase one then.

The K-x is horrible value as of now. It's actually gone up in price. There's no reason to purchase one at its current price when September is only well... 2 months away. Also consider how far the K7 has dropped in price. Is the K7 $200 better than the K-x? It's worth more than that in my opinion.