Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K110d main board problem

Can anyone tell me how to fix a ribbon cable plug end on this board? It looks to small to try to solder. anyway to jump wires? I called Pentax and its going to cost a fortune to fix it. I don't have a lot of money to do this, however I am pretty handy.
Thanks
Mike

07-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back when we had a decent electronics store here, I got a little bottle of liquid with a brush in the bottle for track repair and such. It was like liquid nickel or something like that. You could also fix those rear window defrosters with it. Something like that may work but I don't recall the name.
07-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I think I know what you're talking about. It's like a copper colored thing now. I used it to fix my rear defrost.
07-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So what is it, a ribbon cable or the socket for said cable. Or perhaps a circuit run of said socket to rest of the board?. Makes a big difference.

A ribbon cable is easy to fix, so are the sockets. A flex PCB is little more difficult.

If ribbon, then just peel back insulation and solder in new wire and jumper to the connection point on the PCB.

On a flex, use exact-o knife to scrape off the top layer of flex, so as to expose the circuit run.
A 60X microscope can prove to be helpful.
Then carefully (minimum heat). pre-tin the run and solder on a thin! wire and continue to jumper the bad circuit run to the circuit board.

Easy to do if you are a DIY guy with good eyesight and steady hands.
Good luck.

07-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Its the socket for said cable. the plastic casing came off from the main board. I understand it is supposed to be pressed on, however I can't seem to get the contacts good enough for the camera to completely fire up
08-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I Guess I can't do it. I need a Junk board for the 16 pin connector Anyone have one to sell/Donate?