Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #46
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Ummm...I'll keep it short and to the point. The reason I stay with the K20D over the K7, is I prefer the output of the K20D over the K7.

That's all folks.

Photo Below Pentax K20D + Pentax Ltd 40mm
Just out of curiousity, since your official tie with Pentax went away....

You came to Pentax from Canon. Now, since you have no official ties to Pentax I wonder why you stay with the brand and have not migrated back to Canon or Nikon.

It would seem that a man of your stature and talent would have the choice of just about any gear.

An inquiring mind??????

07-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #47
Forum Member

sebbery, the links seem to work just fine with Firefox.
07-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Just out of curiousity, since your official tie with Pentax went away....

You came to Pentax from Canon. Now, since you have no official ties to Pentax I wonder why you stay with the brand and have not migrated back to Canon or Nikon.

It would seem that a man of your stature and talent would have the choice of just about any gear.

An inquiring mind??????
On another thread, Ben posted his list of favorite lenses some Pentax, some Canon, etc. Bottom Line - I think that he uses what ever gear he feels will give him the best results.

I am just struggling/practicing to get/keep my skills up to be consistently (hopefully) good (enough), and hearing this about the K20 just re-enforces my choice - K20, 12-24 and I was fortunate enough to snag a FA 31. Now the rest is up to me.....
07-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Now the rest is up to me.....
Exactly. If you can't get good photos with the K20D, you won't be get them with a K-7.

Sure, things like better AF and viewfinder help, but in the scheme of what it takes to get a good photograph, these differences are, in most scenarios, very small.

07-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Exactly. If you can't get good photos with the K20D, you won't be get them with a K-7.
Bingo! Well put, CW.
07-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I was not getting adequate color with a K10D, I wouldn't expect a camera change to fix that.

The quality of color in photos has to do with quality of light. If you want consistently vivid colors buy a Canon point and shoot. Its jpeg engine will, by default, pump up saturation. If you want good natural color learn to judge the quality of light on the scene. Learn some good post production procedures. Don't blame the camera.

Any recently produced DSLR is capable of capturing excellent photos. I'm not aware of any that aren't, including the K10D. As far as IQ differences between the K7 and the K20D, at low ISO there isn't any. The K20D has a better ISO range. The K7 has better auto-focus and does video. Those are the areas I'd consider if making the choice.
07-16-2010, 10:55 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I get more keepers with the K-7 than the K20D.
07-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #53
Site Supporter

The hard part about photography is that while it would be nice to shoot a flat, fairly uninteresting scene and have your camera make it pop somehow, it doesn't work that way. Someone had a list of things that were important to a good photograph and the camera was the least important one, the lighting, scene and photographer were all more important. Just browse PPG and you will see amazing photos taken with the 6 megapixel ist D.

Where a new camera can help you over the K10 is in ability to shoot higher iso, more accurate metering, faster auto focus, and faster frames per second. On the other hand, a new camera will not change a scene into an interesting one.

I really would look into a book on post processing. Maybe one of Scott Kelby's. Doing things like working on levels, bringing up vibrance can enhance a good photo and make it an excellent one. Good luck, whatever your decision.

07-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I think you should ask yourself if you have use for the differences the K-7 offers to the K20D. Moviemode, faster fps, faster AF, bodydesign and some other things.
07-19-2010, 04:14 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Basically I was considering the upgrade because many of my photos come out rather "flat" or dull looking in terms of colour saturation.
That's normal. If you like pop from a dull scene, you need to post-process. A new camera won't do that for you either.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Photo Below Pentax K20D + Pentax Ltd 40mm
Nice one, Ben!
07-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #56
Veteran Member

As noted - What you get with K7: "Moviemode, faster fps, faster AF, [smaller] bodydesign..."
What you get with Kx: Moviemode, faster fps, GREAT HIGH-ISO SENSOR, small body, JPEG toys.
What you get with K20: Tethering, large body (good for larger lenses), K10-compatibility, price.

After many years of shooting film, then P&S digicams, the K20D was my first dSLR. I chose it because (among other things) I did NOT want to 'upgrade' anytime soon, and it seemed to promise a longer happy working life than the competition, 2.3 years ago. I'm tempted by the Kx's performance, but not enough to cough up more money. A K7+ with a Kx sensor and better AF and SR would tempt me, but I'd hate losing tethering and the K20's big-lens ergonomics. (The K20 with 700+ grams of objective are enough of a chore already.) I'd REALLY be tempted by a K30D-FF but that's probably a dream. So I'll just stay happy with my K20D into the foreseeable future.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you like pop from a dull scene, you need to post-process.
My old PaintShopPro9 has a nice filter called ENHANCE. It's like a noisy HDR generator. Increase color and saturation, set color balance and remove color cast, reduce noise a bit, ENHANCE, reduce noise a bit more, and that booger just JUMPS OUT at the viewer. Real life is so dull. Real life NEEDS extensive PP. Color is a construct.

Last edited by RioRico; 07-20-2010 at 09:57 AM.
07-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #57
Veteran Member

You would like some of the Nik Colour Efex sliders.
07-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

I sold my K20d to fund my K-7 purchase, but wasn't overly impressed with the K-7 at first. I then had a chance to pick up a K20d Titan for cheap, so I traded out my K-7 for some glass thinking that I would just settle with the K20d. This ended up being a mistake and after about a week I decided to order a K-7 once again.

There are lots of posts indicating that there is no difference or the K20d might be better in some regard. Some like the way the K-7 handles shadows, some feel the K20d output is better. All I can say is that I can get consistently better shots with the K-7. Perhaps if I was a better photographer, I wouldn't see the difference
07-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #59
Veteran Member

finally after a year of perfect use and careful handling, my streak had finally come to an end. I dropped my K-7 because of neglect and stupidity. mind you that I'm a person that is anal about his things that I don't want even the slightest dent, scratch on my equipment. too bad and so sad that it happened. but anyway, I'm still ok and the camera works extremely well as it should be. the camera fell on it's side where the battery compartment was. the body received some significant force receiving some very small dents and scratches at it's body where some paint were removed exposing the magnesium alloy construct of the body. I believe the camera's body construction should not be overlooked and is a fundamental part of the upgrade. I could just imagine if this was the K20D, it would had been broken off and a part of that area would had been shattered or cracked by now. now I just have to find myself a black paint to cover that area.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 07-20-2010 at 08:18 PM.
07-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
finally after a year of perfect use and careful handling, my streak had finally come to an end. I dropped my K-7 because of neglect and stupidity. mind you that I'm a person that is anal about his things that I don't want even the slightest dent, scratch on my equipment. too bad and so sad that it happened. but anyway, I'm still ok and the camera works extremely well as it should be. the camera feel on it's side where the battery compartment was. the body received some significant force receiving some very small dents and scratches at it's body where some paint were removed exposing the magnesium alloy construct of the body. I believe the camera's body construction should not be overlooked and is a fundamental part of the upgrade. I could just imagine if this was the K20D, it would had been broken off and a part of that area would had been shattered or cracked by now. now I just have to find myself a black paint to cover that area.
Well I had a good friend who also dropped his K-7 by accident. Merely dented the magnesium baseplate. He got the local Pentax repair people to get a new one as he likes his camera to look pristine. I actually held the damaged magnesium baseplate and you can't imagine how light it actually is. Now if this was the K20D or the K10D, I guarantee that there would be a nasty crack in the polycarbonate body. The only downside to magnesium is that under very heavy use, the paint might wear away to show the exposed metal. So for body toughness the K-7 is for sure much more robust compared to the K20D/K10D.

BTW the weather sealing is that I saw at the baseplate is foam, not rubber so for the lifespan of the camera, it should hold up but weather resistance might not be as good after a long time as the material degrades slowly over time. But by that time, the K-7 would long be discontinued and there would be newer models already.

Last edited by creampuff; 07-20-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo