Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
If it were me, I'd figure out why I can't take a picture that satisfies me before I decide to buy another camera of any brand
it seems like you're over stressing on a 1% difference in image quality between your camera and the k7- remember the 99% difference comes from, subject, angles, direction and most importantly- lighting, get this right and any camera will give gallery quality images with a decent lens (which you have)

it seems like you value your camera as an object rather than a tool- sure it's nice to feel comfortable with your camera, it makes you want to hold it and want to use it- I always thought like that and I obsessed with the idea of getting a k7 and a battery grip because i'd 'enjoy photography more'- in the end I just stuck with my current camera (6 year old, 6 mp, iso 200 and iso 400 only) and learnt to love photography for the love of the photos, not the camera- now I see the camera as nothing, I hate using it, I don't like the way it feels in my hand so it's always in my bag until I want to shoot something- I just do it to come home with a card full of photos

post up your photos on here and we'll guide you down the right path

07-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
it seems like you're over stressing on a 1% difference in image quality between your camera and the k7- remember the 99% difference comes from, subject, angles, direction and most importantly- lighting, get this right and any camera will give gallery quality images with a decent lens (which you have)

it seems like you value your camera as an object rather than a tool- sure it's nice to feel comfortable with your camera, it makes you want to hold it and want to use it- I always thought like that and I obsessed with the idea of getting a k7 and a battery grip because i'd 'enjoy photography more'- in the end I just stuck with my current camera (6 year old, 6 mp, iso 200 and iso 400 only) and learnt to love photography for the love of the photos, not the camera- now I see the camera as nothing, I hate using it, I don't like the way it feels in my hand so it's always in my bag until I want to shoot something- I just do it to come home with a card full of photos

post up your photos on here and we'll guide you down the right path
Was that meant for me or the original poster?
07-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K7's only advantage for me would be the more accurate viewfinder. K20D shoots looser than the finder. But that's really not a big concern since I rarely shoot from tripod.

I don't like the metal clad body of K7 as that seems to be the reason it's files are reportedly a little inferior to K20D...static electricity.

The rest of K7's special "features" seem non-photographic...sales bait.
07-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
That's overly simplistic. Unless you're shooting all manual anyway, the K-7 is a quite significant upgrade. And I'm not talking about video or in-camera HDR.

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt:
The K20D to K-7 to more of a non-IQ performance upgrade (I don't care about video). Significantly improved AF, 100% viewfinder [as you said], more responsive, great ergonomics [In my opinion], faster shutter speed, better metering, higher frame rate, meant to be better SR and dust removal.
Also a lovely quiet shutter.

07-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So the sensor in the K-x is the best yet? It's too bad that it is in a fisher-price grade body.

I'll probably wait and see if Pentax brings out another body the size of the K10D/K20D. The K-7 is too small for my hands.

And for the times that I do use exposure bracketing, the control for that on the K10/K20 is superb. I'm amazed they removed that button from the K-7.
07-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No doubt the next 'upgrade' will trump the K-x's sensor performance again. So you'd have to wait for any significant improvement on high ISO performance in Pentax's flagship model.

In any case, the K-7 isn't too small a step-up from the K20D, it may just be that the tweaks aren't all that highly valued by you, as they haven't been for me - and for that reason, I've stuck with the K10D and K20D. I'm OK with that, but do appreciate faster AF...
07-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
So the sensor in the K-x is the best yet? It's too bad that it is in a fisher-price grade body.

I'll probably wait and see if Pentax brings out another body the size of the K10D/K20D. The K-7 is too small for my hands.

And for the times that I do use exposure bracketing, the control for that on the K10/K20 is superb. I'm amazed they removed that button from the K-7.
For some, K-7 is quite small. However, for me it is just right size.

The exposure bracketing is removed... for some, a disappointment, for others, a blessing, since it is easy to think that the camera has gone crazy on metering, not knowing that he/she has accidentally pressed the button.

07-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm in the same boat as you...wondering if I should buy the K7 or the K20 and keep my K10 as a back up. I however, have nothing but great things to say about my K10. I love the size of it. Love the images I get from it 99% of the time and have really no complaints except the noise at high ISO's, which really, when I nail exposure, can still get a decent shot at ISO 1600. I LOVE the size of my K10. I recently held two friends cameras and was shocked at how light they felt. I'm quite clumsy, I imediately put them down for fear I would drop them. (They were both entry level DSLR"s so I'm sure their more expensive Nikons and Canons probably dont' feel so lightweight) I have enough money saved for the K7 and was ready to go ahead, but the read that the K20 actually does better at higher ISO's and now I'm not sure. AND then I read that Pentax is coming out with a new DSLR sometime soon and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it does great at high ISO's. So I think I"ll just keep enjoying my K10 and wait until the next couple months to see what Pentax comes out with for the newest DSLR and then decide. I'm in no hurray and only want to upgrade because, well, it's fun to buy new stuff...and I'm starting with weddign photography next year and have to have a backup.
07-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
I'm in the same boat as you...wondering if I should buy the K7 or the K20 and keep my K10 as a back up. I however, have nothing but great things to say about my K10. I love the size of it. Love the images I get from it 99% of the time and have really no complaints except the noise at high ISO's, which really, when I nail exposure, can still get a decent shot at ISO 1600. I LOVE the size of my K10. I recently held two friends cameras and was shocked at how light they felt. I'm quite clumsy, I imediately put them down for fear I would drop them. (They were both entry level DSLR"s so I'm sure their more expensive Nikons and Canons probably dont' feel so lightweight) I have enough money saved for the K7 and was ready to go ahead, but the read that the K20 actually does better at higher ISO's and now I'm not sure. AND then I read that Pentax is coming out with a new DSLR sometime soon and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it does great at high ISO's. So I think I"ll just keep enjoying my K10 and wait until the next couple months to see what Pentax comes out with for the newest DSLR and then decide. I'm in no hurray and only want to upgrade because, well, it's fun to buy new stuff...and I'm starting with weddign photography next year and have to have a backup.
I took the jump on K-7 when the price dipped to 763..

The difference between K-7 and K10 is a lot, with some of major improvement that I noticed.
-AWB is pretty accurate compare to K10
-viewfinder 100%
-metering with more points
-ISO button
-high iso performance

I still have the K10D and will definitely use it as backup.
07-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
I don't like the metal clad body of K7 as that seems to be the reason it's files are reportedly a little inferior to K20D...static electricity.
That's the first I've ever heard anyone speculate this would be true, and it really doesn't make any sense at all. It's not like the outer shell is likely to touch any electronic parts, and the chassis inside is metal on *all* models.

QuoteQuote:
I can't think of any "non-photographic" features you might be thinking of, unless you're trying to make a distinction between (still) photography and video.
07-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
So the sensor in the K-x is the best yet?
Best in some ways, not in others.

QuoteQuote:
It's too bad that it is in a fisher-price grade body.
Just because it comes in different colors doesn't mean it isn't still a pretty darned nice body compared to most of what else is out there at that price point. But if you happen to have large hands or otherwise prefer large cameras, it won't be a good fit.
07-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Marc's right about the K-x body. You have to save costs somewhere to produce an affordable entry-level DSLR, but compare the K-x build to similar level Canon and Nikon DSLR's. It's well built for its class - which seems a typical Pentax approach.
07-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
If I were starting today, I'd jump on the K-7. However, with a K10d already in the stable the K20d has a bit more appeal. There is some benefit to having two cameras which take the same batteries, same grip, locates controls in the same place, etc. I have the K10d/K20d and the interchangeable batts are especially helpful. I'm almost spoiled enough to having two so similar bodies that I would be inclined to sell both my K10d and K20d and buy two K-7 bodies if I were to upgrade.
07-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Just because it comes in different colors doesn't mean it isn't still a pretty darned nice body compared to most of what else is out there at that price point. But if you happen to have large hands or otherwise prefer large cameras, it won't be a good fit.
By Fisher Price I meant cheap feeling.
07-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Basically I was considering the upgrade because many of my photos come out rather "flat" or dull looking in terms of colour saturation. They generally lack the bright, rich "punch" that I have seen from newer cameras. Then again, I have seen some pretty flat looking photos from the K-7 as well.