Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Keebler

which remote?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi there,

This is my very first post <bows for effect> thank you..thank you.

i did a quick search, but didn't find an answer or question exactly outlining what i'm going to ask so here goes:

I'm using my K100 for alot of things. playing and learning the settings. i was thinking of getting the CS-205 or the remote control F, but not sure which would be best. my goal is to have something help me take better night shots with the B setting (cars, fireworks etc..).

Cheers,
Keebler

08-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Keebler,

For your purposes, the CS-205 is the way to go. You can lock it open for long exposures.

I have the F remote and it works fine. But you can't lock the F remote open. It will hold the shutter open as long as you hold down the button, but I don't think you want to stand around holding the button for a ten-minute exposure.

Regards,
Daryl
08-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi "Keebler"

Your prayers have just been answered !!! If you scroll down the on the same DSLR page (25 posts downwards) you should see the following header:

"Anyone Tried this K10D Remote Control" ?

I initiated the original question and trust you'll find quite a bit of useful information there. I eventually decided to purchase two r/c's, the first of which was the Wireless 'YongNuo' Remote which is excellent value and is beautifully constructed.
It cost US $32.98 or GB £15.00 inc P & P via E-bay, which is an amazing deal in my opinion ! It is claimed to operate up to 320 feet/100metres away from the camera, but I've only used it at approx 100 feet with no problem whatsoever ! Incidentally both of these models work with the Pentax K100D/K110D, but the YongNuo is particularly inconspicuous for doing wildlife photography etc. The receiver (which connects to the r/c socket on the camera by mini-jack plug) has two bright LED's which illuminate to confirm 1) that the receiver is switched on (RED - Right LED) and 2) that autofocus is working (GREEN - Left LED) before shooting each frame. If you set your Pentax to B-mode (Bulb) and hold the transmitter button down for 3 seconds, both LED's turn RED and the receiver holds the shutter open until such time as you decide to press the transmitter button again, at which point it closes the shutter. Invaluable for long-exposure night-shots or fireworks photography. It's quite ingenious and IMHO far better than the Pentax F Remote, as you don't have to physically hold the button down continuously, which is both inconvenient and tiring in equal measure. The second one I purchased was the JJC version of the Pentax CS-205, which is just as good and only cost US $10.98 or GB £5.00 including P & P !!! What a bargain that is !!! Both items took 10 days to arrive, so the cost savings are worth the wait I think you'll agree ? Incidentally, I have no connection with either E-Bayer except as a VERY satisfied customer. Hope this helps with your decision-making process,

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-16-2007 at 06:19 PM.
08-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
Keebler

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi "Keebler"

Your prayers have just been answered !!! If you scroll down the on the same DSLR page (25 posts downwards) you should see the following header:

I initiated the original question and trust you'll find quite a bit of useful information there. I eventually decided to purchase two r/c's, the first of which was the Wireless 'YongNuo' Remote which is excellent value and is beautifully constructed.
It cost US $32.98 or GB £15.00 inc P & P via E-bay, which is an amazing deal in my opinion ! It is claimed to operate up to 320 feet/100metres away from the camera, but I've only used it at approx 100 feet with no problem whatsoever ! Incidentally both of these models work with the Pentax K100D/K110D, but the YongNuo is particularly inconspicuous for doing wildlife photography etc. The receiver (which connects to the r/c socket on the camera by mini-jack plug) has two bright LED's which illuminate to confirm 1) that the receiver is switched on (RED - Right LED) and 2) that autofocus is working (GREEN - Left LED) before shooting each frame. If you set your Pentax to B-mode (Bulb) and hold the transmitter button down for 3 seconds, both LED's turn RED and the receiver holds the shutter open until such time as you decide to press the transmitter button again, at which point it closes the shutter. Invaluable for long-exposure night-shots or fireworks photography. It's quite ingenious and IMHO far better than the Pentax F Remote, as you don't have to physically hold the button down continuously, which is both inconvenient and tiring in equal measure. The seond one I purchased was the JJC version of the Pentax CS-205, which is just as good and only cost US $10.98 or GB £5.00 including P & P !!! What a bargain that is !!! Both items took 10 days to arrive, so the cost savings are worth the wait I think you'll agree ? Incidentally, I have no connection with either E-Bayer except as a VERY satisfied customer. Hope this helps with your decision-making process,

Best regards
Richard
Thanks for the info guys. Richard, excellent feedback especially. I'm going to check those out right now. Thanks again! I'll keep you posted if i buy and wrt any pics i snap with them

Cheers,
Keebler

08-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
Keebler

Hi "Keebler"

It cost US $32.98 or GB £15.00 inc P & P via E-bay, which is an amazing deal in my opinion ! It is claimed to operate up to 320 feet/100metres away from the camera, but I've only used it at approx 100 feet with no problem whatsoever ! Incidentally both of these models work with the Pentax K100D/K110D, but the YongNuo is particularly inconspicuous for doing wildlife photography etc. The receiver (which connects to the r/c socket on the camera by mini-jack plug) has two bright LED's which illuminate to confirm 1) that the receiver is switched on (RED - Right LED) and 2) that autofocus is working (GREEN - Left LED) before shooting each frame. If you set your Pentax to B-mode (Bulb) and hold the transmitter button down for 3 seconds, both LED's turn RED and the receiver holds the shutter open until such time as you decide to press the transmitter button again, at which point it closes the shutter. Invaluable for long-exposure night-shots or fireworks photography. It's quite ingenious and IMHO far better than the Pentax F Remote, as you don't have to physically hold the button down continuously, which is both inconvenient and tiring in equal measure. The second one I purchased was the JJC version of the Pentax CS-205, which is just as good and only cost US $10.98 or GB £5.00 including P & P !!! What a bargain that is !!! Both items took 10 days to arrive, so the cost savings are worth the wait I think you'll agree ? Incidentally, I have no connection with either E-Bayer except as a VERY satisfied customer. Hope this helps with your decision-making process,

Best regards
Richard
Hi Richard,

It seems I can't find the YongNuo type, but I assume yours is similar to these ones:

eBay - Wireless shutter, Digital Camera Accessories, Flashes Accessories items on eBay.com

Cheers,
Keebler
08-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
Keebler

Hi "Keebler"

Best regards
Richard
Hi Richard,

I think i found it by finding the user 'jiakgong'

Cheers,
Keebler
08-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just one thing to be wary of, if the wireless shutter releases mentioned above are the same ones as those found at http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/ - These shutter releases will cause MAJOR problems if you also want to use the wireless flash triggers from the same vendor, as they both operate on the same frequency.

Both the flash triggers and the shutter triggers don't actually have multiple channels, they have multiple code sequences that are called "channels" even though they are all on the same channel.

Right now I have a homebuilt cable release (search for Pentax on Instructables - How to make cool DIY projects), which includes a 1/8" mono jack in parallel with the momentary and toggle switches for the shutter. This allows me to use the Gadget Infinity flash triggers to trip my shutter. (Because the flash triggers are "one shot" as opposed to continuously transmitting to support bulb mode, they don't have the interference problem with another set of triggers used for flashes that the shutter triggers which support bulb mode have.)

08-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

To "Entropy"

The point you raise is probably a very valid one, but I don't personally use wireless flash of any description. Fortunately it's therefore not a problem for me, although I agree that using the YongNuo in your situation might be a major issue for you !
If you look carefully, the design of the receiver on the 'gadgetinfinity' web-page looks physically 'different' from the YongNuo one, because the sliding battery-door on the Y/N is located at the rear of the 'receiver', whilst the other one is clearly shown at the front of the 'receiver'. In all likelihood the innards of the circuit-board may well be similar, if not identical.....who knows ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-17-2007 at 10:17 AM.
08-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
Inactive Account

To "Keebler"

Yes, 'jiakgong' is the correct one !

Best regards
Richard
08-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #10

If you're handy with electronics and a soldering gun and don't care what the thing looks like, you can fabricate one yourself for a few dollars.

Pentax DSLR cable shutter release from hands-free cell phone kit - Instructables
08-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I used the Twin1 remote ... I have the option of wireless or cabled (bulb mode) with this ... and it works a dream .... is small ... and really cost bugger all.

Suited to all camera bodies ... and have tested it out on my K10D successfully.

One of the best options I have bought for my camera.
07-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2009 reply

Old conversation, but if anyone finds this reply:

I purchased one of these items, and it is EXCELLENT!

Gadget Infinity*::*Digital Camera*::*Shutter Release Cable*::*Timer Remote Cord for Canon / Pentax / Samsung

You can program the heck out of these, great for shake free firing in B mode to any amount of time you program in!

Ordered from their website, and item went from Hong Kong to Texas in 5 days!
07-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Just one thing to be wary of, if the wireless shutter releases mentioned above are the same ones as those found at Gadget Infinity - These shutter releases will cause MAJOR problems if you also want to use the wireless flash triggers from the same vendor, as they both operate on the same frequency.

Both the flash triggers and the shutter triggers don't actually have multiple channels, they have multiple code sequences that are called "channels" even though they are all on the same channel.

Right now I have a homebuilt cable release (search for Pentax on Instructables - How to make cool DIY projects), which includes a 1/8" mono jack in parallel with the momentary and toggle switches for the shutter. This allows me to use the Gadget Infinity flash triggers to trip my shutter. (Because the flash triggers are "one shot" as opposed to continuously transmitting to support bulb mode, they don't have the interference problem with another set of triggers used for flashes that the shutter triggers which support bulb mode have.)
I have both flash and shutter triggers from YongNuo. The shutter release is terrific, and, while I wouldn't say it causes MAJOR problems to use them together, sometimes one of the flashes won't fire if you use the shutter release transmitter while too near the flash. If you are 5 or 10 feet away with the shutter transmitter, I've had no problems. For standing close to the camera I use a unit called Twin-1 R3 UT. It triggers either as a wired or infrared remote. If I'm hovering over the camera and just want to keep shake down, I use the wired. The IR works fine, too, especially if you have prefocussed and don't need the half-press. This thing was also less than $20 if I recall, and does the work of two remotes. The range of the IR is nothing like the YongNuo, but still usefull.
07-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #14

Hi,
I get a canon wire remote control for my k10D 140 HKD...
you can lock for bulb shoot.
then... working for cheaper

++
07-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
I just finished assembling a cable remote for my K200D, for the grand total of.... nothing. Just asked a friend for a couple buttons, a switch, grabbed one or two lego pieces and Ta-DA!!!! It's working perfectly, now all i have to do is learn how to use catch-in focus!
Here are some pics of the finished product. Not too pretty, but very sturdy and free!!