Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-15-2010, 03:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've calibrated my K-7 for all my lenses (12 different lenses).
The variation is between +6 maximum (DA*16-50mm) and 0 / none (Tamron 90mm Macro).

- Bert

07-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Funny... I thought i had a problem with my k-7 for months. On the tripod and a cable reliese I found my lens out of focus and adj. acordindly.
But when shooting and really playing hard I found i had to put things back to 0 for good focus.
I am stumped but it works for me. I check every lens if close i leave it alone.
Especially with fast gless 2.8 or so. Now when i put a T.C on I find sometime i adj. slightly. That is the only time i adj. now.
07-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Welcome to Pentax Hack

Debug mode

Debug mode is a way to get into the service menu of the camera. Unless the link site has been updated, or you haven't gone to the latest firmware, you may not be able to get in to it. Honestly, if your camera is working to your satisfaction, I wouldn't bother with it.

Better would be to use the camera and if you come to a point where you will not be using it for awhile, send it in for an adjustment. While still under warranty.

Thanks for this information, Jeff!
07-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
You might want to test under daylight lighting conditions as tungsten lighting can cause af to front focus.

In any event, with such a severe degree of adjustment necessary with all lenses, I would suggest sending the camera to Pentax for calibration. The camera should not be that far off.
It stays light here till quite late. I'm in north-central Alberta, Canada.

07-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Did you use a legitimate well-designed focus test chart for this? In my experience almsot everyone who tries testing focus any other way ends up setting things up in ways that almsot guarantee inconsistent (or consistently incorrect) results. Actually, a pretty percentage of people using focus test chsrts manage to do it wrong, too - but they do at leats give you a fighting chance. Could you post some test shots?
07-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Did you use a legitimate well-designed focus test chart for this? In my experience almsot everyone who tries testing focus any other way ends up setting things up in ways that almsot guarantee inconsistent (or consistently incorrect) results. Actually, a pretty percentage of people using focus test chsrts manage to do it wrong, too - but they do at leats give you a fighting chance. Could you post some test shots?
Hi Marc,

No, I didn't use a test chart (I've read about doing it that way but didn't have any handy) and posted my methodology above.

Unfortunately, I deleted all the test shots. However, I can tell you for certain that all my lenses were very badly out of focus before, and are now razor sharp (I've been shooting and uploading since yesterday to verify) since making the adjustment. Portraits were fuzzy, close up flower shots were fuzzy. Landscapes were fuzzy. Everything was off.

I'm at work now so, if you're still interested in seeing some shots, I will upload a few this evening when I'm home again.
07-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'll agree on it being no more than a "fighting chance." Count me among those who have done this exercise with a well-designed target, but question whether, due to lack of skill or other causes, the results were worth it.

Someone who does this well could perhaps start a business. (I know Pentax will do a certain number for free)

07-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'll agree on it being no more than a "fighting chance." Count me among those who have done this exercise with a well-designed target, but question whether, due to lack of skill or other causes, the results were worth it.

Someone who does this well could perhaps start a business. (I know Pentax will do a certain number for free)
I have moved beyond calibration - I am confident the camera is taking sharp pictures now. What I was more curious about was if there was something odd about my K-7 - i.e. whether others had experienced the extreme unsharpness my camera had.

At any rate, I do appreciate all the feedback and advice!