Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #16

Original Poster
Thank you Marc, I don't think the camera should lie and show me the image differently, I expected the front leaves to be blurred and I wanted them to frame the butterfly. But I didn't expect the image to have the appearance that it did. The leaves were not so far in front that they would have no definition and look like someone had smeared them , like a painting....I hope that makes sense
I feel that something is wrong , although I don't know what it is ....something is definately different than it use to be.
I know that the scence would look differently if I had used a smaller f stop, but I feel that this photo looks oversaturate and warped, JMO

here is a crop of the area

eta...sorry that is really large

07-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that's a great photo. What you're seeing is just bokeh and pretty damn nice bokeh, IMO.
07-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you should not worry about this picture and see if you can post an example that shows a clearer problem. You still haven't really explained what about this one doesn't satisfy you. If you don't like the saturation level, turn it down, but beyond that, I still don't get why you feel an out of focus leaf shoud look different than it does. So post a picture of something else that you feel is problematic.
07-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #19

I don't think there is something wrong here. You have to remember that at 180mm and f8.0 the DOF is still shallow. Check Depth of Field Table! I do not know hoe far was the subject, but for example if subject distance is ~5m, then DOF @ f=8 will be only around 20cm!

07-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thank you Audiobomber, Marc and Georgis, I truely appreciate the feedback.

I will post other examples of color issues , that I think are wrong. maybe I can explain better with pictures of people. I think that it is a saturation issue, but I have changed the setting on my camera to natural. I can post a couple of those taken in natural.

I will be back shortly....thank you again
07-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I will be shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, if switching the setting to natural doesn't solve your problem
07-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #22

Original Poster
bright setting

natural setting

The second shot is definately more like the colors that I see through the camera
Both these shots are straight out of camera , just resized...just snap shots.
My son is the one with the orange nerf gun, and he is olive -ish skinned. In the first shot he looks green and the boy on the left is extremely RED..not true to life ....IMO.... Yes our grass is that dry

07-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #23

Original Poster
Thank you Matt, I think you are right
07-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by norco5 Quote
The second shot is definately more like the colors that I see through the camera
Is your monitor calibrated? The second shot is pretty strongly magenta-hued on my calibrated monitor - not even close to olive skin tones. The first shot is much more believable to my eyes. But in any case, I think this is more a difference on how the camera happened to choose a WB for the scene than natural/bright. AWB is just a guessing game; sometimes it will nail what you think you see (emphasis on "think" - the brain lies to you by trying to remove the color cast of the light itself) and sometimes it might be off (not removing enough of the color cast from the light, other times removing too much).

Also, looks to my eyes like the light actually *was* different in the two shot. But I'd also agree the saturation is higher on the first shot than it needs to be (mostly apparent from the red in the one boy's cheeks). So changing from bright to natural is clearly a win there.

In any case, I still don't see anything that even comes close to representing any sort of camera problem.
07-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

On my monitor, and to my eyes, the first shot looks just fine, the second shot looks magenta hued, as Marc said. If you used AWB, that could mean a wrong guess by AWB (happens sometimes) or the light could have been slightly outside the AWB range.

Edit: I should say the color temperature of the light could have been slightly outside the awb range.

Last edited by MPrince; 07-17-2010 at 10:10 AM.
07-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
On my monitor, and to my eyes, the first shot looks just fine, the second shot looks magenta hued, as Marc said.
I see it that way as well.
07-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for the replies
I do use a lens hood, and this was taken in the bright sun!! My camera is set on the default for custom image color (BRIGHT), I will try the Natural setting

I'm not worried about the wing blur, I know that it is a leaf in front. And I like the DOF, just not the leaves above the butterfly, they look like they have been smudged with a finger, like you would do in photoshop.
I'm adding another shot to show you the area,
I have other shots from the same day, at different focal lengths, and they are all similar and weird, I will resize a couple and post some people shots if that helps too.
Looking at the image, I think I can reconstruct it in my mind - in 3D, and I would think that its an accurate representation. You are playing with depth of field and the camera lens, aperture and sensor are very different from the human eye and brain in its interpretation of the scene. I can assume foreground and background blur and with a relative thin focus plane containing the butterfly and flower. I think that its a wonderful image and an excellent capture. If it were me, it would be one of my best pictures - ever. I really like it!...
07-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #28

Original Poster
Thank you!!!! I'm starting to see the light....but not what you are all seeing on your computor screens.

Marc, my monitor is not calibrated, as soon as you stated that ....things started to make a little more sense. About the time that I started noticing the color issues, was just after my new computer arrived. Is it possible that my new monitor is the problem?? Seriously, I never even thought of my monitor, only what I was seeing after uploading from my camera.

On my screen the first shot in BRIGHT....has a green yellow hue...a lot! The second shot seems pretty close to normal, no magenta hue.

And yes, the lighting conditions were totally different, I just wanted to show the two different settings

I thank you all , for taking the time to help me, I will be more than happy, if it is my monitor.

Do you mind if I show you another photo? after PS?
07-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I see it that way as well.
Me too!

I'm seeing red on the second image.
07-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thank you!!!! I'm starting to see the light....but not what you are all seeing on your computor screens.

Marc, my monitor is not calibrated, as soon as you stated that ....things started to make a little more sense. About the time that I started noticing the color issues, was just after my new computer arrived. Is it possible that my new monitor is the problem?? Seriously, I never even thought of my monitor, only what I was seeing after uploading from my camera.

On my screen the first shot in BRIGHT....has a green yellow hue...a lot! The second shot seems pretty close to normal, no magenta hue.

And yes, the lighting conditions were totally different, I just wanted to show the two different settings

I thank you all , for taking the time to help me, I will be more than happy, if it is my monitor.

Do you mind if I show you another photo? after PS?

Go for it Shannon!