Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #1

K20D and color issue..help please?

Hi,
I have owned my k20d for 14 months and loved it, until the last couple months.
The SOOC images have changed, I thought it was my tamron 70-300 af di f 4-5.6
I have had the lens for 3 years (bought it for my k100d), but I'm starting to notice the weird color variations in more and more photos, not just the ones taken with that lens.
The colors are very over- saturated in jpeg, and there is a weird warping of color.
I'm also thought it could be the memory cards. they are different brands but all SDHC cards. I hope this makes sense

I still have warranty on my camera, I can send it in, but I was hoping someone here could help
Thanks in advance
Shannon
Here is a photo, SS1/250 ISO 200 F8 AWB

07-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm, I can't see anything wrong here. The swallowtail looks true to life as do the lilacs. What is wrong exactly?

Jack
07-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does not look bad to me but if you don't like the saturation, try changing the color setup [Fn, OK] to Natural. If its already on Natural, just use the top slider to reduce the saturation. There are many combinations available and you will find some are better for certain lenses and situations than others. If you are not aware of the "Natural" versus "Bright", "Vivid" etc. settings, whip out the book . then just play with them to understand how they change the output jpg.
07-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Hmmm, I can't see anything wrong here. The swallowtail looks true to life as do the lilacs. What is wrong exactly?

Jack
I believe the problem is the edge of the right wing. It sort of looks like lens flare.

Shannon, if you're using a UV filter, remove it. Are you using a lens hood? You should use a hood all the time.

07-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The blurs on wings are probably out-of-focus foreground leaves.
The wing color may be a little cold, but the situation may be cold or green due to all those leaves.
If you want accurate color, shoot RAW and do the necessary post-processing. Why sacrifice quality to JPEG?
07-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies
I do use a lens hood, and this was taken in the bright sun!! My camera is set on the default for custom image color (BRIGHT), I will try the Natural setting

I'm not worried about the wing blur, I know that it is a leaf in front. And I like the DOF, just not the leaves above the butterfly, they look like they have been smudged with a finger, like you would do in photoshop.
I'm adding another shot to show you the area,
I have other shots from the same day, at different focal lengths, and they are all similar and weird, I will resize a couple and post some people shots if that helps too.
07-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't see anything in the circled area that doesn't look normal for an out of focus leaf. Maybe a little flare, as others have said. Using a hood - that's good. But are you perhaps adding to your flare issues by using a filter?

07-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by norco5 Quote
Thank you for the replies
I do use a lens hood, and this was taken in the bright sun!! My camera is set on the default for custom image color (BRIGHT), I will try the Natural setting

I'm not worried about the wing blur, I know that it is a leaf in front. And I like the DOF, just not the leaves above the butterfly, they look like they have been smudged with a finger, like you would do in photoshop.
I'm adding another shot to show you the area,
I have other shots from the same day, at different focal lengths, and they are all similar and weird, I will resize a couple and post some people shots if that helps too.
I would guess the look of the leaves above the butterfly is attributable to the leaves being out of focus combined with using the bright setting. I think the natural setting results in much better images (but of course, that's just my opinion).
07-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Natural mode defaults to -1 on Sharpness, which is pretty soft. I don't want to add Sharpness in post-processing, so I boost Sharpness to +1. I also boost Contrast to +1 to give the images a little more pop.

As far as I can tell making these adjustments in Natural gives very similar results to Bright mode with -1 Saturation.
07-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My hunch. The original shot was in jpeg. Exposure and contrast was pushed up during post processing. Increasing exposure too much during PP has some affect on color hue.
07-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #11

Original Poster
I don't have a filter on this lens, is that what you mean? Marc

Thank you Mprince and audiobomber, I have changed the setting to natural, and will adjust the sharpness like you said,

Creampuff , this is the original JPEG, just resize too 800px longest side, there is NO PPin, that is why I am wondering if it is a lens or camera problem. I can post the exif data if that will help , I took a few pictures of the butterfly and I can post more.

Does the k20d over saturate anyway? (in Jpeg).
I don't usually shoot in Raw, I know that is a whole different topic, but shooting jpeg saves space on my computor
07-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Are those leaves in the foreground(overlapping the butterfly)?
If so, then all I see is your a-typical OOF rendering effect.
Then again the image is rather small.

On a side note: I noticed that with certain settings, the in camera JPG processing can sometimes cause dithering problems between certain contrasting colors. I never did find out what setting caused this to happen because I shoot raw exclusively. Though have seen that a few times on the flipside of things. - Who knows, it might it be this phenomenon you yourself are experienceing as well.

I'd try a reset setting to factory default and see if that doesn't put things back to normal first.
07-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by norco5 Quote

I don't usually shoot in Raw, I know that is a whole different topic, but shooting jpeg saves space on my computor
Storage is cheap and you should have it externally as well.

I don't see a problem with that image.
07-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you SpecialK, for saying there is nothing wrong with the image, maybe it's just me, and I'm being picky

Johnbee, just reset to default earlier this week, and updated firmware to 1.04.
So maybe that along with changing the color setting will make the difference.
I just bought a 55-300mm to replace the tamron, maybe I should send the tamron in for a checkup? I believe it has a 5 year warranty.
Could there be a problem with my sdhc cards?? The images look fine on the lcd display, but once in the computor, the are different again

I do notice the same affect with my kit 18-55, but not so much with my 50mm , and the old glass that I have doesn' t seem to have that affect.
07-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't even think it's a question of being "picky". I am not seeing a problem that is think is minor and you're making too big a deal of - I am not seeing a problem, period. The camera appears to have taken a picture of the scene *exactly* as it should have appeared at that focal length and aperture. Are you saying the camera should have lied and removed the OOF leaf from the image just because you don't like how it looks?