Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My wife wanted a new body so I ordered her one

My wife surprised me this weekend by saying she wants to buy another Pentax body with automatic lens. She wanted a new K100D body so she can use her istD as a one lens camera with the Pentax 50mm Macro I bought her many years ago. She wants to avoid swapping lenses for dust reasons, though in her film days she used her many manual lenses on her K1000 and Ricoh. I can’t object to her reasoning, I have a special purpose K110D and general purpose K100D.

She had been looking at the K100D from B&H for $349 after rebate. Oddly the camera with 18-55 mm kit lens was $549. The lens added only $70 when I bought my K100D. I called them about the odd pricing but gave up after I was passed around customer service once too often.

I ended up buying just the camera from B&H. We decided to forgo the "short kit" lens when she found the hard to find 50-200 mm "long kit" lens in stock at Ritz camera. She'll borrow my 18-55 mm and see if she wants both.

I >think< her sudden change of heart after 25 years of manual lenses was revealed when she mentioned the seagull photos I took when we went for a photo walk along the shore this past weekend. I was shooting hand held, 200mm, straight up toward blue sky, soaring birds, full auto, and virtually every one was in focus plus nicely exposed. She knows she could not do that manually. She is a better photographer than I but I detected a bit of envy after I bought MY first autofocus lens in November.

Attached Images

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 08-16-2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: typo
08-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
My wife wanted a new body so I ordered her one

Now that is an attention getting title line. I just had to read your message to see if I could order my wife a new body also. However, in fine bait & switch style, you ended up talking about a camera body instead.

stewart
08-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Headline grabber!
I didn't know Elle (mcpherson....the body) was renting out?.....
.....sorry.
Seriously....I bought my wife a DL last year and we were walking past a shop the other day with a K10D in the display.....guess who wanted one! .....a bloke can't win!
08-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I stop laughing I'll read your post....

Edit, encouraging story. I've been slowly teaching my wife this hobby and she seems to like it so far. It sure would make our hikes easier if I wasn't the only one stopping every 20 seconds to look at some subject...

I noticed the kit lens is for sale from a couple of people in the marketplace forum for around $65-75.00 so maybe you can get one there or better yet be 'generous' and give her yours then run out and buy the excellent 28-75mm f2.8 Di Macro Tamron. Just to continue the envy.....

Last edited by Peter Zack; 08-17-2007 at 02:40 AM.
08-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Now that is an attention getting title line. I just had to read your message to see if I could order my wife a new body also. However, in fine bait & switch style, you ended up talking about a camera body instead.

stewart
Reminds me of one evening when my wife announced, "I'm going to change my clothes and wash my face."

I replied, "Instead, how about you wash your clothes and change your face?"

I was not a popular fellow for a while. Oh no, not at all.
08-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi "Leo"

Judging by the photo, I think your wife looks extremely "gullible" to me ! Before proceeding any further with the 'revamp', I have a long-standing friend of mine who is a very fine 'plastic surgeon' and it would probably be advisable to seek his opinion first before seriously getting to work on 'Her Indoors', as we kindly refer to the 'missus' over here in 'Limey Land' ! Now where-on-earth did I put that large bucket of plaster, my retractable 'Stanley' knife and the large tube of 'Superglue' I just bought from the DIY store ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-17-2007 at 03:15 PM.
08-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Reminds me of one evening when my wife announced, "I'm going to change my clothes and wash my face."

I replied, "Instead, how about you wash your clothes and change your face?"

I was not a popular fellow for a while. Oh no, not at all.

Nice twist of words. But, yeah, I could see how that wouldn't necessarily go over too well. My wife has a decent sense of humor, but I wouldn't go that far unless I truly wanted to spend a night or two watching late, late, shows on the telly (television) in the living room.

stewart

08-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi "stewart"

My 'old bird' usually won't even 'let me off the leash' after sunset, lest I turn into some kind of 'weird-wolf' (ahooooohhh !) , but then I know who thinks she 'wears-the-trousers' around our household ! On the other hand she didn't object too badly when I purchased my K10D and the 'associated paraphernalia', so it's not ALL bad news !

Yours 'howlingly'
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-18-2007 at 12:33 PM.
08-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ah, the refrain of men the world over today. The "wife" and who really "wears-the-trousers." And they wonder why we're "confused" about life. The situation is so bad, we're now actually happy to be able to buy something as simple as a camera system. Our wives go with us to ensure we don't buy the "wrong" vehicle, most often defined as something a "man" would like. Instead, we're expected to drive around in little toy cars or "family" mini-vans. Not exactly thrilled with that, we've become two-car families - her car and something we can stand to be seen in public with. Our caveman ancestors would be ashamed.

stewart