Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #1

K-7 automatic Lens Correction?

hi guys, guick question, does the K-7 provide Distortion and chromatic aberration correction for 3rd party lenses?

dpreview says that it provides correction for DA and DFA lenses...

thanks!

07-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not for 3rd party lenses, no.

It works with all DA, (DAL), DA* and DFA lenses, but distortion correction is disabled for the DA10-17 fisheye obviously.

K-7 Firmware update 1.03 added this function for the FA31,43 and 77 Ltds.
I dont think it works for the FA50 1.4

Notably it does work for the Pentax DA18-250 but it does not work for the identical Tamron 18-250, which has a pretty hefty barrel at 18mm.

Would partially explain the premium price on the Pentax on the used market.
07-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Definitely does not work on my Tamron and Sigma lenses.
Anyway, I normally switch off both Lens Distortion and CA correction, because it slows down JPEG image processing too much.
Most good PP software can do a decent job with correcting these two issues, so I've hardly found it necesary to turn on the in-camera function.
07-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Definitely does not work on my Tamron and Sigma lenses.
Anyway, I normally switch off both Lens Distortion and CA correction, because it slows down JPEG image processing too much.
+ 1
With my DA18-250mm, I started to use the K-7 enabling the lens distortion correction. Now I do not.

I do a lot of dynamic shooting incl. Hi continuous shooting. As a results, I must limit all internal PP during the JPEG production, incl. lens distortion correction.

For the lens distortion correction, Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 does a reasonable job, but my first choice is PTLens. An excellent well-priced software {http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/}: highly recommended.

In summary: with both Pentax and 3rd party lenses, I do not enable lens distortion correction. I use PDCU 4 for light corrections and PTLens when I want a precise job.

Last edited by hcc; 07-16-2010 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Typos