Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 can do handheld HDR/exposure blending.

So, with the K-7 I can capture a huge dynamic range very easily. The features in the K-7 that helps with this are
1) SR
2) Option to do multiple exposures with the single press of the shutter
3) The excellent control over exposure bracketing (easy to do on the fly)

Of course the scenery cannot be too dark, so all three exposures will be fired in quick succession.

I tried it several times and here is a typical result.

YOU CAN CLICK ON THE FINAL IMAGE TO SEE FULL RES. IMAGE TO EVALUATE HOW CLOSELY THOSE BRANCHES BLENDED TOGETHER

Used Photomatix for HDR...

The three exposures first

The HDR image (click to enlarge)

Last edited by pcarfan; 07-18-2010 at 07:32 AM.
07-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you have arms as steady as tree trunks, or are the shots being microaligned? If there's no microalignment, you're impressively steady between shots, but if they're microaligned I'm not 100% sure why any other camera with exposure bracketing and (if the shutter speeds required it,) in-body or in-lens stabilization couldn't do handheld HDR equally well.

Must admit I initially thought from the thread title you'd shot a handheld HDR using the in-camera HDR function, which would've been impressive indeed given that the K-7 can't microalign images for its in-camera HDRs.
07-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's the ability to take the three expsoures with one press of the shutter and SR with any lens that is the key, I think.

Photomatix align images to some degree but it needs to be pretty close.

I am pretty sure the same thing can be done with K-7's built-in HDR function, but to me that feature is not that helpful. I used the RAW files wiith photomatix and had full control over the tone mapping (even at 16 bits), so to me this is more useful.

Any camera with the option to shoot three exposures with one press of the shutter should be able to do it, but not many can do it with any lens .....also, if I recall correctly, K-7 was the only sub $2k camera that was voted as being good for HDR in a test (I am sure it was pop photo). It's very user friendly.

So, I don't think there are many DSLR's out there that could do this effectively...However, I could be wrong with that....but, I know for sure the K-7 can do it in flying colors
07-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
alternatively you could just buy a cheaper Kx with enough dynamic range in its RAW files to not feel the need to HDR at all anymore :P

07-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Photomatix align images to some degree but it needs to be pretty close.
That's pretty standard.
HDR software (except K-7/K-x builtin firmware) all do alignment well enough to enable handheld HDR.
07-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Falk,

Thanks for that info., didn't know. It was new to me and it opens up so many opportunities, so I thought I stumbled onto something cool and I'd share it
07-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Falk,

Thanks for that info., didn't know. It was new to me and it opens up so many opportunities, so I thought I stumbled onto something cool and I'd share it
pcarfan,
You are right to brag about it, pentax equips its cameras quite well in this area. The K20 has the same capabilities is the K7, but without the onboard merging feature, which i don't care about.

If you want to see a writeup on HDR and pentax, you can find a article on Adorama about which new cameras do HDR well, and they had nice things to say about Pentax. The K10, K20 and K7 all have the capability to choose 3 or 5 exposures for HDR at up to 2 EV per step. Kx limits the number of exposures to 3 but allows up to a 3 EV step.

The multiple image feature is also plenty cool for water effects.

I helped lead a workshop from my photoclub on HDR, and 2 of the Nikon shooters, a D300 and a D5000 had to do some searching of their menus to put it in place, nothing as easy as the Pentax implementation, IMO.

Werticus, HDR can easily put the DR of any camera to shame. I understand and agree with some of what you are saying - but there are situations where HDR shines. I got tired of debating HDR with club members, so now i just smile when one of the anti-hdr members compliments one of my HDR images, without recognizing the role that HDR contributed.

I just sat in on a 1 day presentation from a professional who uses HDR in a very subtle manner. Her comment: HDR is the future - many cameras will have it onboard. (she was a Nikon owner and apparently wasn't aware that the K7 already has it onboard :-))

Last edited by philbaum; 07-19-2010 at 09:02 AM.