Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dust on K20D sensor

Hi,

Today I found two black spots in photos taken with my K20D. I thought they are dust on the sensor and using K20D dust removal try to remove them, but still they are there. When I try to map dust on sensor, camera is not showing anything. Is there anyway to clean it?? Moreover, dust on any other camera parts like mirror or something else can effect images?? I am pasting a sample image below and it is same in almost all images. Please help!

Image with dust on sensor

07-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll take your word for it that the dust is there, can't see it in the small image posted. I've had pictures like that where I thought there were dust spots, they turned out to be birds in the sky. The only place dust will affect your images is on the sensor. Even a dusty lens isn't likely to show anything.

The first line of defense is the shaker. The second line is the rocket (or other) blower. Then you have to go to the touch the sensor methods, I use Pentax's O-ICK1 cleaning kit. If that doesn't work, then a wet clean is required. Plenty of threads here on different products and methods to clean the sensor. Search is your friend here.

07-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. But those spots are certainly not birds or something, they look round and are there in every pictures. Here I am adding another image, bigger than the earlier. Please check it.
Another (bigger) Image
07-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #4

Try doing this to see where the dust is. I done it today and notice I have so much dust on the sensor. I need to go get it cleaned by someone.

Inspecting For Dust - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

07-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
rocket (or other) blower

07-19-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Try a blower. If that doesn't do it, it's time for a wet cleaning.
07-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

And in the meantime, dust can easily be cloned out in PP.

07-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
definitely blower - see the many, many existing threads on the topic of dust here and in the Beginner's forum. But I'd also add that it doesn't hut to keep trying the dust removal in the camera. I'll run it a dozen times in a row, check again, then maybe another dozen times and check again, before resigning myself to blowing (which isn't particularly difficult but isn't fun, either).
07-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I usually start with the camera cleaning in the camera and if it doesn't clear the sensor in about 10 tries, with at least a couple done with the lens pointing down, then I'll get out the rocket blower. Only rarely, do I have to get out a nylon art brush that I have for cleaning. Rarer still I do a wet cleaning.

Blowing air through the brush with the bulb to create a static charge, then gently using it on the sensor does the job in most cases. It's only when I get what I think is pollen on the sensor that I have to do a wet cleaning.

I personally think the order I use them in is also the order of risk of using the different methods; camera - no risk, rocket blower - low risk, art brush - moderate risk, wet - higher risk. Whatever you decide to do, be sure you understand all the risks involved in each method.

Thank you
Russell
07-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Looking at your pictures I agree you have dust on your sensor (or rather the filter in front of it) but I wouls not recommend a blower. These simply shift the dust and launch it only for it to land elsewhere.

Try an Arctic Butterfly. This is a brush which spins to generate a static charge. This will attract the dust from the filter. It can then be discharged into the air well outside the camera body.
07-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much to everyone for your valuable suggestions. I will try to do it by doing in camera sensor cleaning few more times and update you on the result. I already did it few times, but still give few more tries. I never heard about 'Arctic Butterfly', but will google it..
07-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I think the dust is on your monitor. Give it a good clean first. :P jk

Others have mentioned good info about how to clean it so I won't repeat their words. However, I used to wet clean my sensor to death and the dusts always come back. It's a losing battle. I bet that you wouldn't see those dusts if you shoot day to day photos without a clear uniform background like the sky or white wall. Personally, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Note: when mapping dust on the sensor, you need to have the camera on a table or tripod and pointing it at a white wall.
07-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel Quote
Try doing this to see where the dust is. I done it today and notice I have so much dust on the sensor. I need to go get it cleaned by someone.

Inspecting For Dust - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.
Thanks for the link Joel, I tried it and I found lot of dust on my sensor too..

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpup Quote
I think the dust is on your monitor. Give it a good clean first. :P jk

Note: when mapping dust on the sensor, you need to have the camera on a table or tripod and pointing it at a white wall.
Thanks pentaxpup; this is what I am missing.. I tried this time pointing my camera to a white screen and this time camera recognized some dust on it. But, dont have guts to clean it..and camera shake is not cleaning it.. I have to take someone's help..