Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K-7 w/ 360 flash

Recently I took some shots of my cousin & her beau for engagement pictures. Nothing elaborate, just some scenic stuff with them standing on a boat dock looking all in heat. I was trying something I read about in a Kelby book about using full flash in full daylight to give the picture a commercial look. The deal was to meter in Program, then use full flash while reducing light to the camera by dialing up the shutter speed or using several f-stops higher than the camera suggested. In manual mode, I couldn't get the shutter speed to go higher than 180. What am I missing? I've heard of sync speed, but I thought Manual mode was just that--you should be able to dial anything in. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

07-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have to set the flash and the camera for High Speed Sync. Be aware that it only works with FA or DA type lenses..

07-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Pentax flash synch speed is 1/180 sec - maximum. Manual mode is allows you to control Aperture and Shutter speed, up to the Flash synch speed.

To darken full daylight ambient while keeping the subject illuminated by flash, you need more than 1/180 sec shutter.

On the K-7, you'll need to switch to High-Speed Synch (the HSS icon on the far right of the AF360 control slider). That will "Open Up" your shutter speed to whatever you choose to set it at, up to the maximum shutter speed.

You steadily lose flash power on High-Speed synch as you go beyond 1/180 secs. Depending on how bright is the daylight outside, you may need to get to 1/1000 to darken the ambient, and you just have a fraction of flash power left.

The AF360 doesn't quite have enough power to offset the loss of power.

You need to experiment a bit with HSS yourself to see how it works
07-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I know on my Metz 48 I can just leave it in pTTL HSS mode all the time, and it's smart enough to give a full single burst if the shutter is 1/180 or slower, and only uses the HSS pulse pattern above that.

07-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I know on my Metz 48 I can just leave it in pTTL HSS mode all the time, and it's smart enough to give a full single burst if the shutter is 1/180 or slower, and only uses the HSS pulse pattern above that.
Its the same with the AF360 and AF540 on the K-7. HSS doesn't actually kick in until you exceed 1/180 sec.
07-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You have to set the flash and the camera for High Speed Sync. Be aware that it only works with FA or DA type lenses..

In theory, shouldn't A lenses work too? The body just needs to know the f/stop, and since A lenses transmit the f/stop, it should work.
07-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You can't dial up the speed more than sync speed, unless it is HSS (which also syncs), becuase the flash would not be caught by the shutter curtain (opening and closing of shutter).
If your speed is too fast for it to sync with the shutter opening and closing, then you will have a photo that is half lit and half dark (during the film days when you can actually try to dial up the speed)..today however, the program in the camera itself will prevent you from dialing up the speed and finding out what would actually happen.
You can however lower the speed to less than 180 which is the highest sync speed.
07-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The Pentax flash synch speed is 1/180 sec - maximum. Manual mode is allows you to control Aperture and Shutter speed, up to the Flash synch speed.

To darken full daylight ambient while keeping the subject illuminated by flash, you need more than 1/180 sec shutter.

On the K-7, you'll need to switch to High-Speed Synch (the HSS icon on the far right of the AF360 control slider). That will "Open Up" your shutter speed to whatever you choose to set it at, up to the maximum shutter speed.

You steadily lose flash power on High-Speed synch as you go beyond 1/180 secs. Depending on how bright is the daylight outside, you may need to get to 1/1000 to darken the ambient, and you just have a fraction of flash power left.

The AF360 doesn't quite have enough power to offset the loss of power.

You need to experiment a bit with HSS yourself to see how it works
Siiigh. And the only way to offset the loss of power is to have multiple flashes. Unfortunately the only way to communicate the HSS signal to more than one flash is by using a commander flash, which will HAVE to be another external flash because the onboard doesn't communicate HSS signals. So, you'll have to hope its not TOO bright that the two flashes can see the light from the 3rd.
Still working on having a split PTTL cable to remedy that but I havent had the time.

07-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
In theory, shouldn't A lenses work too? The body just needs to know the f/stop, and since A lenses transmit the f/stop, it should work.
HSS works with P-TTL, and will function with DA, DA L, D FA,FA J,FA* and A (with aperture ring set to "A" position).
07-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Probably.. I don't typically use them with a flash so it likely slipped my mind.