Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Just ordered my k100d!!

I just ordered my camera and I am VERY excited!!

I went with Adorama because they are having a good memory card clearance right now. So I got my k100 w/kit lens and 2 gig high speed card for $480 shipped... (actually $430 if you count the rebate )!!

I decided to just stick with the kit lens for now until I am solid on what I want for a zoom. I am also working on getting a 28mm on Ebay because I love shots taken with those and having a manual lens I think will 'force' me to learn and not use all the auto stuff as a crutch.

Thank you all for the assist!!

08-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi Colleen,
I've had my 100D for less than a month, you'll love it!. I'm still trying to figure out what settings I need for me, but it's a lot of fun. Good luck!
08-17-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Colleen,

Congrats! Glad you decided to come over to the dark side. Now let's see if we can talk you into jumping all the way into the murky waters of LBA. For a price point reference you might want to take a look at a few sources that sell used lenses. One of the most reliable is keh.com . The ratings they put on their lenses are spot on and you can always count on getting a fair deal and good service from them. A "BGN" rating is what I buy from them. The glass is great and the lenses work fine. The bodies might be scuffed up a bit. They have a Pentax 28mm f2.8 listed in BGN for $76.00. That should be as high as you should go on Ebay.

The ratings on used lenses at Adorama and B&H are also very good. Their pricing should be a little higher than Ebay but you can count on the rating.

The 28mm f2.8 is considered a little soft but still a very good lens. The 28mm f3,5 is harder to find but IMO is as good a lens as any lens on the market.

Lots of luck on your search and again let me offer to loan you my 28mm to try if you would like.

Regards,
Ken
08-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Congratulation and welcome Colleen, well pretty soon you might get aflicted with LBA once you get the feel of your new toy. The beauty of the Pentax system is you can have a backward compatability with old lenses. Just yesterday I used my 25yrs old K mount F1.4 and came up with amazing result, so enjoy!!!.

Cheers,

Rene R

08-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey there Lapeen, I'm the Barn shot with the 28MM Tokina guy !! lol, hope you enjoy your camera as much as i enjoy mine !!
08-20-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey Coleen, I had mine for close to two months now, but Pentax will be taking it away from me for 2-3 months for repairs! argh! Anyway, you'll love your camera fo sho! I used mine on Av mode for a month and a half, then discovered how to use the AE-L button in Manual mode so Manual is what I use now...
08-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #7

Congrats Colleen!

I've had mine since last October (paid the big bucks - LOL) as it was relatively new. Love mine and hope you enjoy yours just as much.

Debbie
08-21-2007, 05:09 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I have had mine since Feburary and have not had any problems with it. I think you will really like it. Rick

08-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
axl
Inactive Account

Congrats,
I've had mine since October last year (paid a lot too ). And I've never been dissapointed with it. In fact in March this year, when we were looking for second body (my girlfriend is keen pohotographer too) we favored another K100D instead of K10D and put the money difference to lens.
I hope you'll enjoy it. It's really great camera.
Wish you lot of nice pictures
08-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I view all your experiences with keen interest !
The K100D is the dslr in my sights
cheers from New Zealand
Pete
08-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
Forum Member

I have had mine for over a month now. one setting I would suggest to set is the date correctly and to save pictures in a folder to the date taken. leave the shake reduction on when using the camera hand held, and turn the shake reduction off when using a tripod. buy you a set or more rechargable batteries, get a brand name that is nationally known. I went with a walmart brand and 1 set lasts a long time, the other set lasts a few shots and dies. my buy enloop brand next time I am in walmart. hope you have more fun than me, but I have a few really great shots of nature. I will have to post one soon.