Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Oh god I' ll never sell my lens. Stop. I was only angry beacuse yesterday night I was shooting in Milan for work and my AF went crazy and I blame some minor divinity for this. The day after a canonian, my friend, tried to make me a brianwash. Now that is day (with light sun and fantastic flying unicorns) i like my lens, my camera and all the things about that.

I don' t sell my lens

07-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

lol this is "bad Pentax day" thread?

dear OP, really, if you want to switch, quietly sell your lenses and body and go canikon. You will have no regrets except maybe the cost of lenses and weather sealing if you go to consumer bodies.

Pentax K7 is an evolution of K20, and FYI, the AF is really improved, along other stuff.
07-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #18
Inactive Account

it does annoy me how people go on and on and on about pentax AF performance- yes it sucks, I know, it's not pentax's strong point

their strong points are excellent quality primes for very little money, smaller bodies, DA ltd, and ergonomics

I only shoot pentax with manual focus primes, so I couldn't care less about AF performance (I use a d300 for that, which incidentally is far too big and heavy for everyday shooting)

Seeing as the d300 belongs to my dad so I can't use it that often i'm thinking of getting myself a second body to shoot with, and for video (because pentax video is not there yet), If I was to get something that body would be the canon 550d with a 70-200 f4l (because i'd only need AF for things like birding) and use an adaptor for pentax lenses

No camera is perfect:
Canon consumer lenses suck, they feel awful to manual focus (and L series are ridiculously priced, except the 70-200 f4l non is), also there is no second hand market for lenses so that sucks
there is the full frame upgrade path but tbh i'm done with the whole full frame thing, I started shooting film again and it's like going back to square one- I know how to shoot APS-C

Nikon d300 is too heavy for a crop camera, 7D is much lighter (I think), and I hate nikon's menu, live view and ergonomics

Sony are so damm expensive

Olympus I don't really know a lot about

so in my eyes pentax is exactly what I want- small, cheap, and good- now which other brand offers all that

edit: noise control on the kx smokes the canon 7d, and the d300 (too much noise reduction destroys image detail)

yeah I do feel for pentax, I do wish they'd come out with the perfect no complaints body, maybe then i'd invest in AF glass for the pentax system, because for now the idea of spending £600 on a lens with no guarantee about it's future ability is not something I wish to do

edit 2: I don't know why i'm saying this

Last edited by clark; 07-19-2010 at 10:05 AM.
07-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Count your blessings, sir. Not all of us can afford to buy a Pentax DSLR or any other for that matter. You have an absolutely beautiful camera, one many of us would practically sell our souls to have. You know each camera brand has their good things and their bad things, each camera, of any brand it's quirks. Nothing is ever perfect, but that camera? It comes darned close to it. MHO, think HARD before you sell it and swap.

07-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm also very tired of Pentax...my K20D keeps me busy all the time, cheapo lenses on Ebay are winking to me, eager to be purchased (ever increasing the weight of the camera bag on my poor shoulders) and my right index finger has calluses from pushing the shutter release. I am sure that with a lesser camera I would not be as tired!

It is soooo darned simple: like it, keep it; don't like it, buy something else. Keep shooting!
07-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Buh-Bye.
07-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I believe this may be the fastest 5 step recovery the forum has seen

07-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

It is funny the amount of money people spend to better their Pentax kits when switching though. I'm not talking about the cost of things between systems either. It just seems like once someone makes up their mind to switch, any frugality is abandoned. If they had the Sigma 10-20mm on Pentax, then they have the Nikon 14-24mm on the switch sort of thing. It's like there is a need to make sure the decision is correct by gold bricking the entire switch. There can be no remorse.

Thank you
Russell
07-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pov17 Quote
Oh god I' ll never sell my lens. Stop. I was only angry beacuse yesterday night I was shooting in Milan for work and my AF went crazy and I blame some minor divinity for this. The day after a canonian, my friend, tried to make me a brianwash. Now that is day (with light sun and fantastic flying unicorns) i like my lens, my camera and all the things about that.

I don' t sell my lens
Ha! Ha!

The Canon brainwash!!!

About a year ago I was at a local overlook taking photos and this guy walks up with a 50D and tries to take a picture. No go...focus will not lock. He tries again. Again, no go. A third try...no focus lock. Finally he puzzles over the camera, switches to manual focus and gets his shot. Meanwhile I am shooting away with my Pentax. Were conditions difficult for AF? Beats me! Late afternoon sun to our rear, clear sky, slight late summer haze, subject at infinity...what is there to confuse the camera?

To point is that there seems to be such thing a thing as a "bad AF day", both in Pentax and in Canon land!

Steve
07-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #25

Original Poster
Pentax K10D K20D Focusing Screen - KatzEye Optics

Maybe I can buy this
07-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #26
Inactive Account

yep, these are great- I was shooting on a pentax k2 and loved the screen so I looked into getting one for my ist DL (which btw cost me £200, 5 years ago)

i've just bought a split screen from an ebay seller called jinfinance, I was going to go with katz eye, but I figured it was too much money (jinfinance screen was ~$40) to invest in something when I think i'll be upgrading the camera sometime soon

i'll post my thoughts when I get it
07-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #27

Original Poster
Many thanks I' m curious
07-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

oh well

He will be sorry
07-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

good find

Speaking of e.bay just won a nice Pentax 135 f3.5 lens those old lenses are going strong on my k100d. had the d3000 nikon sold it and bought the pentax can do so much more it's like shooting film to me always in manual can't do that with the other consumer grade cameras around august my birthday the K7 will be sitting next to the other Love this site some great info oh yeah the old spotmatic still kicks also
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I' ve got no hope. If pentax will not change I' ve got to change system