Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Er, Canon won't do that? I am amazed! I am pretty sure Nikon will. Maybe it depends on the flash.

The only Canon body to allow you to use the pop-up flash to wirelessly control slave flashes is the 7D. Every other body requires you to have a master-capable speedlight (such as the 580EXII) or the ST-E2 "controller" mounted on the hotshoe.

07-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
IThe Canon 7D and some full-frames allow wireless flash, but I have a friend with a 40D and 50D and they need external triggers. The Rebel line, including the new 550D, do not have wireless capability (score one for the K-x).
Actually, all the FF (and 1.3x bodies) don't even HAVE pop-up flash, so you need a master-capable speedlight or the ST-E2.

Assuming you have the appropriate speedlight or ST-E2, ANY Canon DSLR will allow you to trigger off-camera speedlights while retaining E-TTL.

The 7D introduced using the pop-up flash for this control.

I've used my 580EXII to trigger my 430EXII, and it works nicely IF you have line-of-sight, but I've found using radio triggers much more reliable, especially when you have the flash sitting behind an umbrella. Of course, you lose E-TTL and need to set the flash power manually, but that's not a problem with my Sekonic light meter.
07-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Actually, all the FF (and 1.3x bodies) don't even HAVE pop-up flash, so you need a master-capable speedlight or the ST-E2.
Sorry, I misread a bit of research I did at DPR. Thanks for the clarification.
07-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
... I've found using radio triggers much more reliable, especially when you have the flash sitting behind an umbrella. Of course, you lose E-TTL and need to set the flash power manually, but that's not a problem with my Sekonic light meter.
Have you seen the newer cheapish, ~$150, E-TTL and I-TTL, radio triggers?

PIXEL TR-332
PIXEL TR-331

Here's to hoping they will make a P-TTL set at some point.

Thank you
Russell