Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I find it interesting that you you were disappointed that the 40mm f 2.8 didn't focus as well in low light as the 50mm f 1.4. It seems to me that would be expected.
I did not explain myself very well. What I mean is that using both lens with the flash, and the flash AF assist light, I still had trouble getting the 40mm to lock focus. The aperture I used most was f/3.5, so we are not talking about going below f/2.8.

07-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
I did not explain myself very well. What I mean is that using both lens with the flash, and the flash AF assist light, I still had trouble getting the 40mm to lock focus. The aperture I used most was f/3.5, so we are not talking about going below f/2.8.
Won't the camera hold open the aperture when metering and focusing? You'll still get the bennefit of F1.4.
07-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting report -- thanks.

Since my flash has wireless capability, I hand held it. I’m glad for the K20D’s ability to shoot flash wirelessly. I’ve had three Canon users express envy over that.
Er, Canon won't do that? I am amazed! I am pretty sure Nikon will. Maybe it depends on the flash.

I finally found the only solution that worked. (If someone knows another, I would be pleased to hear it.)
My solution is to manually focus, which I do at events all the time.
07-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing this!
I'm considering doing some work like this too, and I like to shoot mostly with primes (DA40, DA15, A 50). I'd be a second shooter concentrating on portraits. Did you carry the two bodies around to avoid lens changes? I only have a single body so I'm wondering how much I'd be hindered by that, or if I should event attempt a job with a single body. I'd check with the primary photographer on this but am curious how others feel too.

07-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have noticed that photographers seem to be either wide angle or telephoto shooters. I'm in the latter camp, preferring to go for details. Naturally, I would have used the 21mm more if I felt I needed it. But we had plenty of room, so I wasn't cramped. The only way I really like to use wide angle is to get up close for a special effect. But getting up close while people are trying to party feels a bit intrusive to me.
No, you are the photographer, people at the wedding likes their pictures taken. You will never get shots like these with your telephoto lens because you need room. By the way, this is taken with the 31mm ltd plenty sharp at f2.2.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Thanks for sharing this!
I'm considering doing some work like this too, and I like to shoot mostly with primes (DA40, DA15, A 50). I'd be a second shooter concentrating on portraits. Did you carry the two bodies around to avoid lens changes? I only have a single body so I'm wondering how much I'd be hindered by that, or if I should event attempt a job with a single body. I'd check with the primary photographer on this but am curious how others feel too.
I've done it both ways. It depended upon how much the hosts will be depending upon me. These days, I'll generally take two. Usually, they have been the K10d/K20d, but lately, with its small size and low-light capabilities, I like having the K-x along.
07-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lowspark86 Quote
Won't the camera hold open the aperture when metering and focusing? You'll still get the bennefit of F1.4.
But a loss of contrast and sharpness wide open. That's a tradeoff worth noting for any fast glass in a social setting like a wedding.

07-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
But a loss of contrast and sharpness wide open. That's a tradeoff worth noting for any fast glass in a social setting like a wedding.
Aristophanes, you are right about that... However, Lowspark86 is referring to F1.4 gives bright viewfinder, and therefore, should be easier to get focus locked in dim light than slower lens.
07-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Aristophanes, you are right about that... However, Lowspark86 is referring to F1.4 gives bright viewfinder, and therefore, should be easier to get focus locked in dim light than slower lens.
Shallower DOF will always lead to poorer AF performance. A razor thin lock is difficult unless the frame is perpetually face to lens. Hardly candid. And if you're in portrait mode, don't you want more contrast, better res, etc.?

Most weddings I have attended the photog has a constant big, soft, flash to get over that problem.

Besides, it sounds like the DA 70 focused just fine.
07-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only have a single body so I'm wondering how much I'd be hindered by that, or if I should event attempt a job with a single body.
No way. You are covering a once in a lifetime event for the participants. If something untoward happens to your one body then you are in big trouble!

I would have two bodies (minimum) and two people (minimum) on any serious job. You will definitely benefit from an assistant to organise people for shots, cover second angles, hunt for candids while you are doing set-ups, hold a reflector for you and so on.
07-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I would expect you to have more trouble locking focus in low light with the 40 than with the 50; with or without flash assist. The 40 is 2 stops slower than the 50; letting only 1/4 the light through that the 50 does. Regardless of what aperture you have set, the lenses are both wide open when focusing and metering.
07-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The lens stops down to where you set it, so you aren't losing sharpness or contrast. If shallow DOF makes it so difficult for AF to work, then why would the camera hold the aperture fully open to focus and meter?
07-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lowspark86 Quote
The lens stops down to where you set it, so you aren't losing sharpness or contrast. If shallow DOF makes it so difficult for AF to work, then why would the camera hold the aperture fully open to focus and meter?
This is what I would expect. But isn't this a different position from your first post?
07-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
No, you are the photographer, people at the wedding likes their pictures taken. You will never get shots like these with your telephoto lens because you need room. By the way, this is taken with the 31mm ltd plenty sharp at f2.2.
I am happy that there are photographers who like to use wide angle. I certainly enjoy looking at well shot, wide angle photographs, yours included. So far, the wide angle view is a different perspective than what I innately relate to. But hey, things could change. I'm not restricting myself to anything.
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #30

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing this!
I generally agree with rparmar's view regarding having a back up camera although I don't know about the "two bodies minimum" part. That seems a bit excessive. Having two cameras does allow you to switch to a different lens without having to make a lens change. One strategy is to have a camera with a wide angle lens, and the second camera with a telephoto lens. Or you might have one camera with the fast, 50mm lens for non flash shots, and the other camera set up for flash. I did carry the two bodies around. One on my neck, and the other in my camera bag. I was not uncomfortable, or if I was, I was too busy to notice.