Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I installed the split screen focus on my K10D as a trial before I put it on my K20D. What I found was that in almost every case my split screen and the red indicator were in agreement....which led me to not go any farther with putting it on my K20D. While not always perfect, it is amazingly accurate compared to my manual focusing, even using a split screen. There are a few times when it seems to "go loco", but they are very seldom.
Regards!

07-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
The Katzeyes have the dimension as the Pentax stock focusing screens. If the Katzeye is misaligned, that means the original stock screen was misaligned as well. You just would never notice it because the stock screen had such a wide DOF.

I agree though, Pentax probably couldn't even have tested to see if the stock screen was accurate since the margin for error was huge with the wide DOF.
That was not my experience... The Pentax factory focussing screen was noticeably thinner than the Katzeye screen. It had a 0.30mm thick shim installed. Rachel at Katzeye confirmed my findings, and recommended a thinner Pentax shim to fix the problem. I ordered a set of shims from Pentax and found the 0.20mm shim was best with the Katzeye screen.

Without the thinner shim, the autofocus lenses displayed slightly out of focus on the focussing screen when focused, but perfect on the image.

Dick
07-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
@Marc. I wouldn't expect that, but I found manually focusing with Pentax's own screens at wide apertures to be inaccurate.
Right, but that's not because of a shimming issue - that's because they - like the stock focus screens in most other DSLR's - shows *too much* DOF. Shim the screen around all you want, but it won't help. The problem isn't that the actually in focus in area isn't in focus at all in the viewfinder; it's that it isn't the *only* thing in focus in the viewfinder, and you have no way (without practice and experience) of knowing which objects that appear in focus in the viewfinder won't be in focus in the picture.
07-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

While Katzeye is on the table, I would like to talk about a rather strange issue I have with this focusing-screen.
I was very happy whit it on my K10 but on the K20 is seems useless. I don't seem to be able to manually focus correctly with the Katzeye any more.
In the meantime I learnt that the focus confirmation on the K10 and the K20 is not that reliable as I hoped for, but that's not a problem for me.