Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OHH BOY !!! Got to hold the K10 today!!!

I feel like I was cheating on my DS . Local shop has one K10 in stock and let me play with it for about 10 minutes. WOW that is a lot of camera. Beefy and lot of buttons. I felt like a newbie holding it trying to figure it out. They let me shoot with a card and the results in the dim store with SR was nice. Now to figure out how to finance this beast. hmmmm wife said sell the ds. I say no way. I will never get half what I paid for it ($900) as they are still selling around here for about $500ish new. Looks like the M200 F/4 and something else gotta go. Heck a lot of somethings gotta go. Honey do we really need that new couch we just bought?

I think I will download the manual to get a jump on what the heck I was playing with.

11-29-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*thread moved to DSLR dicussion*

If I were you, I'd sell everything and get that K10D- it's 10 times better than the DS2, let alone the DS.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-29-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Now to figure out how to finance this beast.
I understand that.

Here is my approach, if this could be of any help in your case:

Monthly savings (in Canadian dollars):

$150 - No car insurance since I don't have a car (sold my rarely used Chrysler Sebring)
$100 - No car maintenance (goes well over $1,000/yr on average)
$75 - No need to pay for parking space in my building
$50 - No cable TV (no TV at all, I have home theater with DLP and 90" screen instead)
$50 - No expensive cell phone plans: I am on $10 or 30 anytime minutes Pay As You Go for emergencies only
$25 - High-Speed DSL connection (1M), no ultra fast (2 or 3) and $20-30 more expensive

TOTAL: $450 (Bottom line: K10D in less than three months.)

No, I am not saying go sell your car and walk to work (LOL), but the point is this: after I located all those recurring and seemingly insignificant payments ($10 here, $40 there, $15 over there...) and after optimizing or canceling internet, cable, cell and phone services, unnecessary subscriptions, consolidating insurance (auto, home, car), using debit and credit cards in a way to avoid monthly fees, and with several other optimizations not mentioned here I was absolutely amazed to see around $600 saved a month!!! That is over $7,000 a year!!!

Perhaps you could free up $200, reward yourself with K10D knowing that in 5 months that expense would get covered, and that you could actually start saving after that point. (For...., ummmm, new DA* lenses perhaps??? LOL)
11-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I feel like I was cheating on my DS . Local shop has one K10 in stock and let me play with it for about 10 minutes. WOW that is a lot of camera. Beefy and lot of buttons. I felt like a newbie holding it trying to figure it out. They let me shoot with a card and the results in the dim store with SR was nice. Now to figure out how to finance this beast. hmmmm wife said sell the ds. I say no way. I will never get half what I paid for it ($900) as they are still selling around here for about $500ish new. Looks like the M200 F/4 and something else gotta go. Heck a lot of somethings gotta go. Honey do we really need that new couch we just bought?

I think I will download the manual to get a jump on what the heck I was playing with.
Sell everything APART from your lenses. You'll regret that.

Duncan.

11-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips guys. I will makle it happen, just a matter of how soon. Just in the few minutes a few things I noticed. LCD much bigger and brighter. The door for the SD card was not that big a deal to me to open. AF did seem pretty quick. Anyway have to go collect some cans $.05 each I just need.... oh 20000 of them
11-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter

36 dollars every 2 weeks for 30 months makes it affordable to me.
that is a cup of coffee a day......
does that sound more affordable?
oh I forgot..... that 36 dollars every 2 weeks includes a sigma 17-70mm lens and a sigma 500 super flash

just tell the other half you are giving up on coffee

cheers

Last edited by slip; 11-30-2006 at 03:32 PM. Reason: forgot the extras involved
11-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
WRB
Forum Member

I put my DS and kit lens up for sale today as consignment at the camera shop ...and put money down to order a K10 I have heard and seen too much to resist. My bride says merry christmas and happy birthday for the difference in what it sells for. I am now waiting!!!!
11-29-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

do what I did..I didnt eat for about 3 weeks...

11-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I could stand to A. give up coffee and B. lose more then a few pounds. Thats it no food or coffee
11-29-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The K10D is nice . . . but not that nice to where you would consider selling your M200/4. That is too good of a lens. Don't sell ANY of your lenses, especially primes. Consumer zooms, okay, those are expendable, but not primes. You will come to regret the decision to sell them. Bodies come and go . . . good glass lasts forever.

Be patient, save your money . . . and when you're ready, the price will most likely have come down to a more afordable level. In the meantime, the Ds is one fine camera. I know from personal experience.
11-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #11
Forum Member

I held a K10D today... it was the last one in stock at the camera shop and it was awesome... It was so difficult putting it back down and walking away, so what did I do? I went and bought my girlfriend some small presents, went back to the camera shop and bought the beautiful thing.

Oh my, I love holding it! I was worried about finances, but I put my other camera up for sale and just went for it. I am keeping my three main lenses though (tamron 28-75 f2/.8, tokina 80-200 f/2.8, SMCP-F 50 f/1.7)

I love this camera - I've even named her!
11-29-2006, 08:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I thought about giving up beer to finance my K10D. Yep, I thought about it for at least 15-20 seconds. I got to play with one last Friday and I liked it. It's definitely the next big purchase after my wife gets her furniture.

The good news is that I hope to be handling a K10D on Sunday but I'm not going to tell you why. Not yet anyway.

-E
11-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Patang Quote
I held a K10D today... it was the last one in stock at the camera shop and it was awesome... It was so difficult putting it back down and walking away, so what did I do? I went and bought my girlfriend some small presents, went back to the camera shop and bought the beautiful thing.

Oh my, I love holding it! I was worried about finances, but I put my other camera up for sale and just went for it. I am keeping my three main lenses though (tamron 28-75 f2/.8, tokina 80-200 f/2.8, SMCP-F 50 f/1.7)

I love this camera - I've even named her!
I didn't have to by the wife anything to get what I wanted THIS time

good for you! hope you like your new purchase..... did you name the k10 after your wife? hahahha!

cheers
11-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Boy, I know just how y'al feel! I unexpectedly ran into a K10D in NW Arkansas (Rogers, specifically) and they let me play with it for as long as I wanted. I was impressed at how well it fit my hand, and even though I know it's heavier, it seemed lighter (or maybe better balanced).

I don't need the 10MP or weather sealing, but I sure can see me getting one next year sometime.
11-30-2006, 06:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
I thought about giving up beer to finance my K10D. Yep, I thought about it for at least 15-20 seconds. I got to play with one last Friday and I liked it. It's definitely the next big purchase after my wife gets her furniture.

The good news is that I hope to be handling a K10D on Sunday but I'm not going to tell you why. Not yet anyway.

-E
Eric that sounds a little interesting. ..... I may follow up with you next week to find out why.